Watch list Defenders Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Kardorp was pretty bad. He was beaten by both Neres and Tadic pretty consistently. He was no factor at all on offense. Dumfries is still the best RB by far.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wonder what Ajax will do with him now. Martinez may leave this year for big €s to Spain. Blind is not getting any younger. Perie is good on the ball but can he defend?

3. Indeed interesting developments in the making if Martinez does move on.

4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agree, this was his major downfall. And if im not wrong then de ligt was also starting to come into spot ligt around the same time when he looked error prone.

5. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I read some where there Ajax are scouting a Brazilian defender.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  7. There's no need to risk his health/group stage play with a player without top level matches in months, while we have the two best CD's of Serie A to play.

Orange14 repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah agreed. But if he's fit in time I think FdB will have to make some tough choices

9. Noooo.
    Don't add more confusion in his head:(

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Then there's also..............

Botmaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn

11. Now ... STOP ...it ....IMMEDIATELY

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And last, but also definitely least...............

Veltmaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnn

13. Okay.
    Time to close the bar....RIGHT NOW

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    While FdB is calling up the likes of St Juste and Veltman, Botman is still top of the league with Lille and Struijk is keeping Liverpool at bay. How inept can someone be as a coach?

Belgium must be crazy not to try to get Struijk. As of right now, Struijk would be at least 4th CB after van Dijk, de Ligt, and de Vrij. Excluding injured van Dijk he’d be at least 3rd with the advantage of Virgil and Stefan nearing 30. I’d love to see him next to de Ligt in the future.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    DeLigt with a goal and assist today for Juve

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bakker starts in massive Champions League Semi-Final.
    Once again for me he seems pretty shaky out there and does not add much.
    Faced Mahrez who was extremely predictable cutting inside often on his left.
    Felt a faster opponent like Sterling would have caused him many more problems.
    I’ll be curious to see if he retains his position in next week’s 2nd Leg.

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Botman (and Lille) with a massive away win today. They are maintaining a lead over PSG and now two wins away from the title... last two matches are against mid-tablers. Wow, this is so shocking. I am rooting for the little guys all the way!!

With a title, Botman has got to be included in the Euro 20 squad. He would be full with confidence!!

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  19. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Should be in there regardless. I mean, surely he’s more deserving than Veltman, St Juste and even Ake. So is Struijk.

Ake is a benchwarmer for City and St Juste plays for Mainz who until recently were in the Bundesliga relegation zone.

Anyway, hope Lille take the title!

20. How was Karsdorp against ManUnited these EL matches?
    I only saw the goals of the 6-2 beating. From what I saw it seems the goals were almost all conceded by the left side of the defense.

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yep agree... it totally makes sense that the first three CB slots would go to De Vrij, De Ligt and Botman.

The fourth one is concerning. Ake has seen so little playing times since the turn of New Year.... one full match, and came in as a sub once. That's simply absurd. Injuries and loss of forms are big factors. That said, I suspect that he is still on FdB's favorite list because he can fill in the LB position (especially if Blind is a no-go). St. Juste is on the outside track.

My guts tell me that Veltman would sneak in to the final squad... not that I necessarily agree. He is one of those whom FdB kept calling regardless of forms and playing time. He would naturally a back up RB (Dumfries), and FdB would argue that he can be the emergency CB as well.

wilson00 and Jpows repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just watched Leeds/Tottenham and Struijk had a great match again. If he doesn't get called up FdB should undergo a psych exam. Struik is a better footballer than Botman.

gabrielguilarte, Jpows and BaritoPutra repped this.
  23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yes, that settles it! There are places for both Struijk and Botman.

Ake is the odd man out - he’s not anywhere close to fitness and forms, anyway.

DutchFanatic and Jpows repped this.
  24. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    This is what I have been saying. Both Botman and Struijk deserve to be ahead of the likes of Veltman, St Juste and Ake based purely on merit, which ought to be the main criteria for selection. Not some form of nepotism which FdB himself can’t properly motivate without incoherently stumbling over his words. Smh.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  25. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For CB combo only , merit based is fine but it would aslo be a gamble if they have not being tested at NT level. From Van Dijk , De Vrij to De ligt all had a nervy start to their NT debut and this should be kept at the back of mind especially if you proposing change on the last hour. I dont think there will much surprises in the backine.

Watched city vs chelsea and feel Ake had a good game even though both goals come from his side. Did his job well but simply couldnt contain everybody at once.

I would still say FDB should have tested more players in the last qualifers. That was the best window.