Watch list Attackers Orange team

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this is why he is no longer with Ajax. EtH told him to clean up his act or he was gone. Lang didn't listen and he was gone.

2. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What happened with him now?
    He was excellent in the Champions League match the other day against Benfica.
    10 successful dribbles.
    He’s extremely talented.

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Memphis no run out again
    Same goes for Danjuma.
    Absolutely terrible and stupid decision to move to these clubs.

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Agree. Only when they are not called up then they will learn. Koeman in not brave to do that. I will start Gakpo, Weghorst and Frimpong up front. Xavi, Frenkie, Koop in the middle. Ake, Van Dijk, De Ligt, Geertruida. Flekken or Cillessen.
    On the bench: Vertbruggen, Botman, Timbers, van den Boomen, Dallinga. Give playing times 30 min or more for these young players in Gibraltar match.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Memphis will start. Unless the run was a complete disaster like Beligum do you make massive changes. Koemann will likely look to phase out older players. By this time next year, then you will see guys in their 30s phased out.

6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have a feeling weghorst will start up and given service priority. what about Malen upfront. would he clash with wingers if played upfront. I mean his tendency of drifting to the left. frenkie and koops in midfield will not yield what is really required for a good engine room . its no use use wasting time there. like I have mentioned before overlooking matusiwa will be dumb.

7. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Danjuma's situation is indeed mind-boggling, to say the least... he could have walked in and got plenty of minutes right away at Everton, but the coaching change there spooked him, and now he's rotten at the bench. Wow - talk about wasted talent there!

Anyway, I think Koeman has to start attackers who play week in and week out. It would be a weak and terrible message sent to the squad if he prioritized "celebrity" name over playing times. So I think the selection to start would basically reduce to Gakpo (slow going at Liverpool, but playing a lot against high-level competitors), Lang (rounding into form for Brugge), and Janssen (7 goals in 11 matches since returning from World Cup) -- and the backups would include Bergwijn (currently in goal drought) and Weghorst (deployed as no. 10 recently). And of course, fan's favorite, Luuk De Jong :p He did have 5 goals in 6 last matches to his credit.

Including Dallinga in the squad would inject freshness and I think Koeman is bold enough to pull this off. Too bad Summerville has cooled off rather unexpectedly after a sizzling few weeks. Simons has now settled as an attacking midfielder - so no point of putting him in upfront.

Can't think of anybody other forward with regular and consistent minutes at the club level.

8. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Interesting starting Frimpong at Right Wing.
    I like it.

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Memphis situation is a joke.
    It’s pathetic actually but if he’s not fit then I get it. Two matches hurt him when Atletico got Red Cards, but if he’s on form Memphis is clearly better and more versatile then Morata and Correa.
    I like Summerville, but the situation with him is like almost all forwards don’t play a full match. The 5 subs in almost every match played sees attackers subbed off.
    I certainly hope to not see Janssen.
    Lang is very talented and was excellent against Benfica, but his issues are between his ears and big mouth.
    Weghorst as a Striker does not score and is also playing on the right and attacking mid as everything goes to Rashford.
    He’s basically just a defensive option for pressing.
    I’ve been watching a lot of ManU and I think Weghorst has not gotten the ball in certain moments when he should have, but it is what it is.

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    tottenham are in action on wednesday in the FA CUP. Danjuma is likely to start in that vs sheiffied united. if he scores or gives in a good performances, he should be given the benefit of doubt and called up. this guys is all about goals and even if he is half fit can be instrumental for the team.. for most of NT selection he has been overlooked for being a bench player, not having clocked enough minutes, playing in average clubs but he then has gone on to play and thrive at the highest level.

12. https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...n-even-een-verlossend-goaltje-nodig~a1bd226c/
    Is Steven Bergwijn mismatch bij Ajax? ‘Hij heeft alleen even een verlossend goaltje nodig’

Met een droogte van honderd dagen, is de duurste van een elftal aankopen vooralsnog één van de grootste tegenvallers bij Ajax. Heeft de kampioen zich lelijk verkeken op het jarenlange doelwit Steven Bergwijn? ,,Van een mismatch is nog geen sprake, maar hij moet wel echt gaan presteren nu.”

Johan Inan 27-02-23, 20:06 Laatste update: 27-02-23, 20:45

Is Steven Bergwijn mismatch at Ajax? 'He just needs a redemptive goal'
    With a drought of one hundred days, the most expensive of a team of purchases is still one of the biggest setbacks at Ajax. Has the champion looked ugly on the long-time target Steven Bergwijn? "There is no mismatch yet, but he really has to perform now."
    Johan Inan 27-02-23, 20:06 Last update: 27-02-23, 20:45

It's a bit weird, because in the first months he was banging goals with ease and pundits were talking about how much he was above Eredivisie level physically and technically and expected him to get 30 goals at the end.
    So did the opponents coaches and defenders figure out how to stop him?

Anyway in this form he's no way a player to put on the Orange Squad list.

Deadtigers repped this.
  13. I agree he's been overlooked, but to get the benefit of the doubt you have to have had a successful run in the Orange Squad first.
    To beat France we need the players fit and running on all cilinders, so only those who at least have performed are first in line.

14. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I dont think they will win either. Might as well get some new faces in there and put in a good fight.

15. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Alphonso Davies can. If given a chance Frimpong may surprise? What other choices we have, Bergwijn, Berghuis, Malen, Memphis or Lang? Is there anyone better than Frimpong at the moment? He can dribble, he can pass and he definitely defend up front like Weghorst did for MU in the middle better than any of those 5 mentioned players.

16. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    No Danjuma on the pitch as Spurs are playing in the FA Cup today (why is it again they are loaning him if they are not letting him play? :whistling::confused:) Match is in second half, he could still make a cameo appearance later.

Dallinga scored 2 goals for Toulouse in Coupe de France QF in 60 minutes (subbed out). Opponent was from lower league club. Easy win 6-1. Midfielder Van den Boomen scored and assisted once.

Deadtigers and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do players not have any say in which club they are loaned out to??

18. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I believe Danjuma was the one that vetoed the move to Everton, and opted to switch to Spurs... terrible decision as it turns out. Well, hindsight is 20/20 :geek:

EDIT - looks like he did get 8 minutes or so in the second half. And Spurs lost :ROFLMAO:

Deadtigers and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  19. In that case wecould deploy Geertruida there:
    https://www.elfvoetbal.nl/binnenlan...die-je-nog-niet-wist-van-lutsharel-geertruida
    Goalgetter
    Trainers die in het verleden met hem werkten, zullen minder verrast zijn door Geertruida’s opvallende productiviteit. Ook in zijn jeugd wist hij al vaak het net te vinden. Soms vanuit een meer aanvallende rol. Zo zijn er op internet veel wedstrijdverslagen te vinden waarin Geertruida als rechtsbuiten of spits trefzeker was. Later, als A-junior, scoorde hij, inmiddels als centrale verdediger, maar liefst tien keer in 27 wedstrijden voor de Onder 19.

20. And ....Calvin Stengs scored ....
    a daughter:
    upload_2023-3-4_0-38-37.png
    Not her, the daughter of Frank, but their baby girl Saint.
    Wonder if she in 19-20 years makes it into the Orange Lionesses. The genes are there:)

21. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Memphis started today... scored two goals already! Only needed 23 minutes to do so... :cool:

22. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well taken goals. Played 60 minutes.

23. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Gakpo scored two wonderfully-taken goals against Man Utd. 4 goals in last 5 EPL matches.

No doubt that he’s the future of Oranje focal from this point forward. I hope Koeman has the brains (and guts) to to build his attack around him. Give him the CF role (where he prefers, and is most dangerous), even if it means having little-used Memphis in a wide role, or on the bench (to his credit, he scored two nice goals himself this weekend). Lang is playing a lot lately, and has been doing quite alright, he should be the LW/RW.

24. Brilliant Oranje

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Mar 4, 2023
    Amsterdam and Marbella
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great goals indeed!!

He scored both goals from winger position though, so I dont see how you can say he's more comfortable in CF role

25. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Gakpo's attributes of smooth acceleration, close ball control and quick give-and-go make him best suited in a free-roaming role in the center (as evidenced at PSV and Oranje). When he is too far out wide, he seemed to be ineffective. He doesn't have a super strong left-foot, so he can't really take his defender to the byline and deliver a cross. He needs to turn his body first for an inverted cross -- which is too easy to defend once the defenders learn his pattern. Not too mention he has a tendency to hold onto the ball a tad too long (lack of awareness).

My prediction all along is that he will evolve into a Kanu/Adebayor-type of attacker with improved finishing. Nonetheless, really bright and exciting talent! Life at the EPL has been brutal and unforgiving for recent young Dutchmen (ask Bergwijn, Janssen) - but I am cautiously optimistic that Gakpo will manage just fine.

Brilliant Oranje repped this.