Wasn't KC Going to be Moved

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kebzach, Nov 21, 2004.

1. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Remember in mid-season when a statement was made regarding the KC franchise, and the statement was less than upbeat at best?

What's the latest on all of that?

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    The only statement that it was going to happen was from Jamie Trecker and I think he's now lost any credibility he had left.

Hunt (KC owner)made a less than resounding statement, but it was more of a "we eventually need a SSS" type of statement. A vote for rennovations for the Chiefs (Hunt owned NFL) and the Royals (baseball) failed a few weeks ago. I think those plans potentially have a lot to do with the future of a SSS (at least the timing). I'm an outsider and could be way off, but one could read into the statement a lightly veiled threat to move the team, something he may not be willing to directly make about the Chiefs, but it puts forth something of pressure in saying his teams need new facilities sometime in the next decade.

Definitely not going to happen this offseason. SJ was in much more a precarious position. My thinking is that if MLS ever does move teams, they may do it in pairs cause they don't want to have to have the bad news cycle (failed market) more than once. But from what we know, KC has cheap rent (basically operating costs) and relatively isn't that expensive as some other markets right now. Hunt lives in Dallas but is huge in KC and I wouldn't see him abruptly moving the team. Seems safe for at least the next few years. Rumours of behind the scenes moves towards a SSS seem strong but quiet. I'll gladly defer to someone here with local knowledge of what's going on, but these questions reasonably irritate the fans and any good news about a SSS seems necessary to keep quiet for now.

3. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't remember if it was a player(at the after party) or if it was Zotinca's wife(she was on our plane trips) but seems that Lamar's son wants to move the team to NY........ take this with a grain of salt.

4. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    hunt once said something nice about rochester. but I hadn't heard anything else believable about such a connection

If AEG would yield NYC itself, that'd be a possible boost to franchise value, but I don't consider it a real possibility.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a poorly done article in the Rochester paper earlier this year I think. Lamar was up there, said that Rochester would be a good place for a team some time. The guy that wrote the article assumed that that meant that he was gonna move the Wizards to Rochester. Assumed it was poor reporting, now not so sure, but I still think the reporting on that article was very poor.

Don't wanna find the link, so don't ask.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
  7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Maybe it weasn't such poor reporting after all ??

8. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No it was atrocious reporting based all on speculation. The author admitted in the column that it was purely speculation and it was all based on the Wizards moving to Rochester. The Wizards aren't moving to Rochester because of many reasons, mostly they can't afford the team. I might dig around and find the link to the original story a bit later.

Edit: Here

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah, but you could probably pick 10 cities right now that if an MLS team ended up moving to, someone could take credit for reporting it first. If you just blurt out a bunch of crap, some of it might stick. Trecker is an unprofessional, pompous ass.

10. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyone wanna find Trecker's article? I remembered the on from Rochester being where the initial rumors came from.

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Trecker said KC and SJ would be moved in time for 2005. Highly doubtful that will happen.

12. bladius

bladius New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Lawrence
    If a blind man throws enough darts eventually he will hit a bullseye. But mostly he'll hit nothing but air or cause a lot of needless damage.

13. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Duh.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Assumed can mean two things .... one, he took a great amount of liberty on a seemingly innocuous remark .... or two, he was told something on background that somebody wanted floated. It could be either. Keep in mind that similar thoughts about the Texas cities appeared in a subsequent article for a business paper.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    WEll, that helps explain it.