Washington Times: Rimando to be left unprotected.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Speculation in the Times says that Rimando is likely to be left unprotected so they can get a hold of Zach Thornton..

Don't quite know how or why they would do this seeing as he is signed with Chicago.. Why would we likely have to give away an all-star quality keeper in Rimando (who's only 25 as well) for free and have to make a move (trade most likely) to get Thornton?

Doesn't make much practical sense to me..

Additionally, Haydon goes on to say that Nelsen is as good as gone as well..

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20041029-114755-2844r.htm

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is why I don't read the Times nor trust anything it says. It is a joke of a paper, on par with the New York Post.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I think in a sense it is discrimination, but if Chivas wan't to limit their playing potential by not signing promising young American players just because they don't speak Spanish, well then that's their own fault now isn't it..

I fully expect Chivas to struggle next season.. They will get an abrupt wake up call..

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think the policy is wrong, but to editorialize like that in the middle of an article is like the comments Fox News anchors make while reading the telepromter. There is just no need for it and it detracts from any credibility you could give as a news source.

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Rimando being left "unprotected" makes sense - He's not the best goalee in the league, and yet if he is taken by Chivas (or even SLC) then DCU gets to put an additional player on the protected list -

Nelsen going ? - Well - kinda 50-50 - Maybe to a 2nd Div team in England or Germany or a 1st Div team in a smaller country - He's rock solid and business-like and can organize teammates in Defense - He's not a superstar but would be a real plus for many teams in Europe

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Before anyone gets high and mighty against the Washinton Times "editorializing" remember....

HAYDON WRITES A COLUMN. IT APPEARS EVERY SATURDAY.

--thank you.

edited to note: Frankly I am more surprised you couldnt tell that it was a column just by reading it...

7. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    (Back on topic...)

This story (and the Nelsen one for that matter) coming out right before the team's biggest game in about 5 years is really annoying AND a distraction. If by chance we happen to choke, I am going to blame the front office for allowing it.

--What the hell people! Did Hudson not give the team enough soap opera distractions last year at this time???

8. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a great piece of analysis:

Haydon doesn't elect to connect the dots with World Series Game 1 which was going on at the same time as the Revs-Crew match.

In order for United to get Zach, a trade will need to be orchestrated between United and either the Fire, or whichever expansion team he may end up with. If United really wanted Zach, and C-USA really would like Nicky, then I would want United to protect Nicky, then trade him to Chivas for Zach (who they would claim in the draft). Seems to be the way to move the players with a minimal impact to United's roster.

9. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree. This kind of speculation on contracts for the future is not good. Let the team focus on the task at hand and worry about the other stuff later.

...and can we leave the wafer-thin skinned PC whining out of at least one thread that involves a story in the Washington Times?

10. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    Precisely...we've got a playoff run to worry about. A couple of days after we celebrate winning the MLS Cup, then we'll start the offseason trade rumor crap.

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    NICK RIMANDO: GREAT WALL OF DC

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Who in the front office is running their mouth about Rimando? This is really a poor time to be doing that.

I'm not sure I like the term "gringo team" either.

13. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    There's two big problems with Haydon's column:

1) Yeah, yeah, I know it's an opinion piece, but there's virtually no basis for the assertion that Rimando will be left unprotected. It's just his gut feeling. The old "word is" routine is just cover for "nobody worth their salt would tell me squat on the record, so I'm just idly speculating here." There's nothing from anyone indicating Rimando will be gone. It doesn't make sense, really: if you believe that Chivas is looking for a spanish-speaker, then you protect Rimando because they won't take Perkins.

2) RIMANDO DOESN'T SPEAK SPANISH. This has been discussed before. Haydon assumes that because he's half-Mexican, he's a speaker. He's not. He knows a few words, but he's not fluent at all.

It's typical Washington Times on United -- one phone call is too much effort to get little things like "facts" straight. You expect this stuff out of Wright. I thought Haydon was better than this.

How f-ing stupid is this?

14. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I speak more spanish than Rimando

pvta pvta! :) Goff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Haydon

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah this player speculation is a distrattion. I don't like it but the team has to deal with it. Let's hope they can.

But I'm not really suprised to see the speculation of local native Thornton becoming DCU's keeper next year. In fact I think it's likely and I'm copasetic about it even though I've liked Nicky all along. The Big guy will do find for our beloved team.

I also like the idea that the deal will include the provision of Rimando being unprotected as that will allow DCU to protect someone else.

16. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    No.

Whoops! Didn't know that. I thought he did actually have some Spanish. So much for that idea ...

17. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Re: "blatant discrimination"

Back in my day, sports columnists generally restricted their ax-grinding to sports. If a journalist was going to accuse someone of something as serious as discrimination, he or she wouldn't do it with a single out-of-context quote. Vergara has repeatedly clarified his remarks with modifiers like "speak a little Spanish" and "willing to learn Spanish."

Rongen himself is an example of someone who is willing to learn. He is taking intensive lessons in order to be ready for the first day of practices, and it should be noted that a significant factor in his hiring was his ability to speak fluent English.

The politics of language is a complicated issue. We all know that Chivas-USA wants to build a strong association with the original Chivas, and that puts them on a narrow line. Still, there is plenty of opportunity for responsible publications to discuss the issue without resorting to political broadsides.

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    "maybe lockerroom Spanish?"

19. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a game on today, folks. After we are done with the playoffs we can discuss this nonsense to our heart's content.

Focus, people. Sheesh!

It's time for a Mexican Hat Dance on cheatin' bob's 'nads.

GM

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thank you.

While there is a certain logic to this and I won't be surprised if it happens, to conclude it will because Chivas wants Spanish-speaking players is kind of silly because of the above fact.

Just because you are Mexican-American doesn't mean you speak Spanish just like being African-American doesn't mean you speak Onitsha and Igbo. I mean, I'm Scottish American and I don't speak Scottish!

21. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    You like to see an article about DC but that was utter trash.

The quote from Vegara was from BEFORE he even got a franchise. Rongen has since said that he was promised he could acquire whatever players he desires - regardless of nationality of language abilities.

22. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rimando is from LA - actually, just a bit East, out by Pasadena. He went to UCLA. I can't say it would surprise me to see him actually want to go to Chivas.

23. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here are two ways to make this happen.

1. We talk to Chivas and RSL before the expansion draft. We promise we'll leave Rimando exposed if one of them then chooses Thornton (who's likely to be exposed as well). We promise "future considerations" when they pick thornton and send him to us. But in reality it's a Rimando for Thornton deal. I thought Thornton made less in MLS than Rimando makes now. Nicky is younger and a better shot stopper in my book but Thornton is better in the air and stronger fundamentally.

2. Chicago will be forced to expose a ton of talent. B/c none of their rookies (and remember, most of them aren't P-40, and they had something like 7 picks in the first 2 rounds) really had good seasons they are likely to be forced to expose all of them. So despite not making the playoffs, Chicago could be one of those teams that has to expose a lot of good players. They may be eager to make a move to acquire something for a guy they might normally protect (so they can open up a slot on their protected list).

Option 1 is better for us b/c it opens up a slot for us to protect someone like Dema or Petke.

As for how this story comes about, Haydon says "the grapevine." That could mean he talked to Rimando who said "I'm worried about expansion" and Haydon took it and ran with it.

Or maybe there's more to it than that. Maybe someone in the front office did leak something. Hmmm...Knave, first points out Ara, now says expose both Rimando and Perkins in the expansion draft. That raises a crucial question: has anyone ever seen Knave and Dave Kasper in the same place at the same time?

24. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    I love this idea because both teams will get what they want. DC gets Thornton, a player they tried to pick up at the last moment and still wants, while Chivas gets a keeper with Mexican ancestry.

BTW, does anyone knows who gets to pick first? This would have a major impact on the draft, as SLC might elect to go after Thornton first (start at the back and then work their way up).

And as everone else has noted, we should be focusing on the postseason rather than the draft, but the postseason is basically another tryout to stay with the team. Leave a good impression and you'll stick around, but screw up and you're off the short list for protection.

25. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we REALLY want to unprotect Rimando?