Washington Post Twellman Feature

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mcontento, Aug 1, 2002.

1. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28648-2002Jul31.html"> Success Is a Family Tradition</a>

He's earning just $24,000!!! with another possible $10,000 in bonuses.

2. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. It's truly shocking what he's being paid but this earns him more respect from me at least. Talk about humble. I'm looking forward to his debut on the MNT this year.

Is he a likely loan candidate at the end of the season. I think so.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Scary to think I actually make more than Twellman does. I am thinking his payday is not too far off and he will be making 8 or 9 times more than me soon.

4. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was he making in Germany? Man he must have just wanted to play real bad. MLS should re-sign him soon and pay him what he is worth. He is fun to watch.

Can you imagine where the Revs would be without him? How many games would they have won by now? I would build my team around him, with guys like Ralston who can get him the ball..

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Nick Rimando make 24K a year or two ago before getting a big increase? As the article says, Twellman likely will get a substantial raise in the off-season. Who knows, as well, if he got some sort of a signing bonus for coming to MLS. Yeah, the rookie minimum salary is obscene; it's almost a disincentive. The least MLS could do is increase it to $30-35K.

By the way, the article also says that he signed a FOUR YEAR CONTRACT with SEVERAL OPTION YEARS. Smart move by MLS. Let's hope the league opens the purse strings a bit and makes him happy here.

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    His German deal was in excess of $200,000.