Washington Post Article: "Officials Say Argentine is in their Plans"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by kirchhausen, Jul 3, 2005.

1. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/02/AR2005070201214.html

Goff's key hints: "Kasper declined to identify the player that United has targeted, but said he is under 25 years old and has been playing in the Argentine second division after spending some time in the prestigious first division. The D.C. contingent wasn't able to see the player in action during the trip because his club's season is over."

"Kasper, Coach Peter Nowak and President Kevin Payne attended three games, including one involving San Lorenzo. United has an informal business relationship with San Lorenzo and it's believed the targeted player's contract is owned by that club."

Can anyone who speaks Spanish go to the San Lorenzo forum off their website and ask who this might be?

2. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. wjones3044

wjones3044 Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Borinquen
    I posted a query.

I can't imagine this forum sees as much traffic as the DC forum but we'll see...

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Thanks to Mr. Goff for pretty much outlining it for us.

I'm sure if it weren't a slow holiday weekend around these parts we'd have the answer up here already, and I'd be shocked if our local sleuths aren't on the end of it within 48 hours.

5. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD
  6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  7. m00kie

m00kie New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Mannheim, Germany
  8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Earlier articles have established that it's not Garcia.

Sachin

9. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After checking the lineups from the 2005 clausura, it appears that Alvarez is an outside back.

Furthermore, Bottinelli seems to be a fairly regular starter in the central defense.

Garcia it seems has been ruled out already, and is a regular starter anyway.

That leaves Hoyos. Based on the results from the Clausura, he played one game at central defense. Perhaps he is our man?

Here is the link to the results page:

http://www.sanlorenzo.com.ar/clausura2005_ficha.php

10. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I watched a few of SL's games this season and I'd say the only two defenders on the list mentioned above that can step in and make a positive impact in our team is Garcia and Botinelli. Since Garcia has been ruled out I hope its Botinelli.

11. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'm not trying to doubt you or anything, but had you seen Gomez before he came to United last summer, would you have thought he could be such an impact maker?

Just curious for your perspective, since you've actually seen some of SL's matches.

12. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Forgive my ignorance, but at what point had Garcia been ruled out?

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    It was in a recent Goff article that covered Kasper, Payne, and Nowak's trip to Argentina.

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    The money quote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/22/AR2005062201936.html

Sachin

15. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Good point, there is no way I would have guessed Gomez would have the impact he did last season, I was actually a bit skeptical when the deal when it first went down, but hey look how it turned out. Hopefully however we bring in will turn out the same way but as far as salary goes I wouldn't see the point in spending anywhere near max salary (or 100K+ for that matter) on a young unproven/untested defender even if he is a skilled Argentine. From what I've seen from SL this I'd only shell out the big bucks on Garcia and Botinelli. But you may be right, we might end up bringing some other young defender who might be able to step right in and lead our defense, I just hope it isn't at too high price (which I only think Garcia and Botinelli deserve) just because hes Argentine.

16. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like most of us, I've been assuming that Kevin is seeking a central defender to provide what Nellie brought to the table last year. But let's not forget that our most accomplished defender, Bryan Namoff, may be done for the year. Neither Prideaux nor Stokes can match Bryan's defending and his talent for the quick foray forward on offense, so maybe a right-footed outside guy isn't a bad second option for our Argie.

17. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are some notes about the U-25 San Lorenzo defenders being discussed on this thread:

Too Pricey for MLS
    Walter Garcia [22 yr - 6'0" 170 lb] - Right Center-back
    2005 Clausura Stats: 14 games, 1 goal (3rd season as a regular 1st teamer starting in 2004 Clausura)
    Argie U20 team at 2003 Championship
    Argie U17 team at 2001 Championship

Jonathan Bottinelli [22 yr - 6'0" 175 lb] - Left Center-back
    2005 Clausura Stats: 12 games, 1 goal (1st season as a regular 1st teamer - made 1st team debut in 2002 Apertura)
    Argie U20 team at 2003 Championship

Others Mentioned in Goff's Original Article
    Santiago Hoyos [22 yr - 6'0" 170 lb] - Left Center-back
    2005 Clausura Stats: 2 games, 0 goal

Leandro Alvarez [23 yr - 5'9" 170 lb] - Right back
    2005 Clausura Stats: 5 games, 0 goal

Hernan Mattiuzzo [21 yr - 5'11" 165 lb] - Left back
    2005 Clausura Stats: 1 games, 0 goal

A few more notes:
    * Argie reports are that Garcia will be sold in the off-season- have to think that a team from Spain would be the front-runner. SL is hoping to retain Bottinelli for now. The amount of allocation $ acquired in the Petke/Henderson deal is not nearly enough for either of these players.
    * Hoyos was on loan to SL from Lanus and is being returned
    * Alvarez is not being re-signed
    * SL is hoping to retain Mattiuzzo

The problem with all of these names is that they were on the 1st team roster for this past season. Kasper mentions that the player was playing 2nd division soccer in Argentina which probably rules out all of these players. SL has several young defenders on its AFA (Argetine Football Association) roster who do not appear on SL's own roster which could mean that they were loaned to a 2nd division team - these players include:

* Juan Pablo Patrone (age 23)
    * Pablo Alvarado (age 19)

Two other SL names mentioned in the Club's press release regarding contract status (see below) include:

* Ivan Fassione (age 22) - center-back who played last season in Spanish (not Argentine) 2nd division but SL still must hold some rights to him
    * Claudio Verino (age 22)

Out of all of the names, Patrone and Fassione seem the more likely of the bunch although I do not know much about any of them.

http://www.sanlorenzo.com.ar/home.php#noticia2
    Time of decision
    Before the expiration of the contracts that is produced each 30 of June, some players that came integrating the staff azulgrana received the respective communication about its continuity or not in the Club. Pablo Michelini (withdraws of the soccer), Aldo Walls, Leonardo I Gave Lorenzo, Leandro Álvarez, Roberto Dogwood, Iván Fassione, Juan Manuel Quevedo, Juan Patrone, Sergio Bathrobe (Cat. '87) and Claudio Verino (Cat. '84) they remained at liberty of action. The loan of Santiago Pits was not renewed, while continues negotiating for the continuity of Eduardo Coudet, Mariano Messera, Edilio Cardoso, Leonardo Dark-haired, Gabriel Loeschbor, Jonathan Santana and Ezequiel Lavezzi. In the next hours, the final listing of those players will be known that will initiate the works of pre-season, that will begin Monday 11 of July, after a week of license al staff.

Tiempo de decisión
    Ante el vencimiento de los contratos que se produce cada 30 de junio, algunos jugadores que venían integrando el plantel azulgrana recibieron la respectiva comunicación acerca de su
    continuidad o no en el Club. Pablo Michelini (se retira del fútbol), Aldo Paredes, Leonardo Di Lorenzo, Leandro Álvarez, Roberto Cornejo, Iván Fassione, Juan Manuel Quevedo, Juan Patrone, Sergio Albornoz (Cat. '87) y Claudio Verino (Cat. '84) quedaron en libertad de acción. El préstamo de Santiago Hoyos no fue renovado, mientras que se continúa negociando por la continuidad de Eduardo Coudet, Mariano Messera, Edilio Cardoso, Leonardo Moreno, Gabriel Loeschbor, Jonathan Santana y Ezequiel Lavezzi. En las próximas horas, se conocerá el listado definitivo de aquellos jugadores que iniciarán los trabajos de pretemporada, que comenzarán el lunes 11 de julio, luego de una semana de licencia al plantel.
    Ver nota completa

18. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Personally, I hope DCU signs either Leonardo I Gave Lorenzo or Sergio Bathrobe instead.

19. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being from Virginia, I'm kind of partial to Roberto Dogwood, myself.

20. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    The WP can save money

The WP can save money just by reprinting the same article from last year. And the year before. And.....

Is the annual summer Argentinian acquirement a tradition? If so, we should have like special parties or things to commemorate. Something involving sugarcane alcohol :)

21. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
  22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
  23. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Ashburn, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be fricken awesome. Who knows, maybe he could teach our young guys a thing or two, be a player-coach type.

24. CheeseFoodProduct

CheeseFoodProduct New Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Alexandria
    Club:
    DC United
    Please do not encourage him. His radio show next Sunday will be nothing but Trade Adu for an Maldini allocation.

Just kidding Diceson...........

25. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That's a great deal!!