Washington Post 7/28

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Jose L. Couso, Jul 27, 2002.

1. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Wow, this part really kinda shocked me

In my wildest imagination I never suspected that Gazza would show up fit, humble, read to play, and that Ray would decide that the team needs a striker more than a Gazza. I dunno if I'm more impressed with Ray or Gazza, but I definitely didn't expect this. Then again, it's just a comment, who knows if it will happen.

Could the trade with Columbus actually be for Washington or Buddle instead of a discovery pick?!?!?!? Most odd indeed.

-Tron

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    < commence rant>

Hudson brought some (not all, some) of the forward woes on himself. He was an utter fool for bringing in Lassiter. Utter fool! I'm as skeptical as anyone about Gazza but to go through all this effort to bring him in, to have the deal die because apparently someone higher up said no initially and then to bend over backwards to revive it and come ever so close to making it happen ... He's in shape. Humble. With apparently good intentions ... And then to have your own astonishing stupidity come back and bite you in the ass! Shocking indeed!

I'm pissed. It's just a bunch of bungling fools running this low-budget sideshow.

And they're damn lucky I'm even more foolish than them. I know I'm more foolish than them because I'm going to continue in my misery and support this sorry excuse for a soccer team - even if it breaks my heart or kills me. And sometimes when I see them play and lose time and again I think I would welcome death for its promise of relief.

I support DC United but doing so brings me little joy. I have said it before: Supporting a soccer team is little more than a form of devotional suffering.

AARGHH!!

< / end rant >

3. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    if ray passes on gazza and keeps roy....by god, i could not be held responsible for the things i might do...

4. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    At this point, dropping Lassiter for Gazza would help us up front. No Lassiter at all is better than Lassiter for 45 mins. Hell, at this point, let Olsen run up there for 45 and play with Convey as a forward for the other 45. Can't be any worse than Roy.

5. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is one very weird interpretation of what ray said postgame. Ray said that Gazza "could suffer" because of the poor finishing...

Goff has been rather sceptical of the deal's probability the whole time, the deal will go through barring Gazza doing something incredably dumb between now and then.

Relax

Deal will happen

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    aaronstol,

Thanks!

That does make more sense.

7. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Tell me about it man.

I'm a big DCU fan, season ticket holder from day 1. Took the bus up to Foxboro for the MLS Cup.

But last year, with Rongen, I started losing interest. I was excited again this year with Hudson, but through the first half of the season I couldn't seem to make it to the stadium, it was always one thing or another.

But the World Cup got me back into soccer again so I started coming back to the games. And what have I seen:

DC 0 -- 0 Boca Juniors. A total snoozefest.
    DC 1 -- 0 Galaxy. Now this was a nice game. Convey scores the winner in the 8th minute of overtime
    DC 1 -- 3 Crew. The Crew used to be our bitch at home.
    DC 0 -- 1 Rev.

So I've sat through 6 hours of soccer and I've seen us score twice.

At least it's getting better. Despite the loss, we played well tonight except for finishing. Hopefully our finishing will improve.

And watching soccer isn't all suffering. DCU has won 3 MLS Cups afterall. And the Inter-America Cup. And the USA's performance in the WC brought little suffering on me, except for the last 15 minutes of the Poland match when I thought we had thrown it all away...

8. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Word.

I think it's time for annual Fever Pitch re-reading.

9. grumpydcu

grumpydcu Member

Jan 1, 2002
    MD

Totally agree, couldn't have said it better.

10. Gru88

Gru88 Member

May 27, 2001
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relax

I wouldn't read too much into Ray's comments on not using Gazza. I sure you know Ray can be a little emotional and OCCASSIONALLY speaks without completely thinking about what he is saying. If Gazza is fit and can play DC will pick him up. You never pass on talent regardless of position, age, etc. If the guy still has some magic left in his legs DC will sign him. Ray is just speaking out of frustration not logic.