Washington Capitals 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Black.White&Red, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Stanley Cup Baby!

Discuss! :)

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the daily updates of Ovechkin drinking vodka and pepsi in Russia. Haha

3. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I can truthfully say that Ovechkin does no such thing, he drinks vodka like a man!

Now, Señorita Crosby on the other hand...

4. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Ovechkin will no longer be using those breakable sticks from CCM...

And Crosby better stay away from those Mr. Big candybars...

5. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting to read Matt Bradley commits about the Caps and about Semin who many know is very talented hockey player but doesn't have the drive mentally to take his game to the next level when needed.

Link

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said what we are all thinking.

7. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Many Cap fans feel the same way.

They would love to hire a disciplinarian coach so that Señorita Semin gets his head screwed on right, so Boudreau has his days numbered if you were to ask a lot of hardcore Cap fans.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted them to trade him for Bouwmeester several years back when he was still with the Panthers. That might not have been a great idea after all. Then I wanted them to trade him for Vokoun or Bryzgalov (although I doubt the Coyotes would have taken on his salary). Now the Caps have Vokoun anyway, and despite the fact that I think Semin's trade value is almost nil. I'd still trade him.

9. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    So would a lot of people here in DC.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    However, I don't think he's the sole reason for the Caps tanking each year. Personally I think your defensive corps has been, and still is frankly, kind of crap. Alzner is good, but he was kept in the minors for years by cap problems and instead you had freakin Tom Poti, Morrsson, Jurcina etc. who are crap. When your best defender by miles is John Carlson, (who I love but still...) you're going to have trouble matching up with the cup winners like Lidstrom, Chara, Keith, etc. Mike Green does what he does, although apparently not in the playoffs, but the guys behind him were just not good enough.

Goalkeeping wasn't great either. I think Vokoun answers that this season. I like him.

11. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    No doubt about the defensive corps.

Green is an offensive defense, and one of the best in the league, but he has nobody protecting him.

Ovechkin is one of the premier superstars in the league, but he also has to be the enforcer, so obviously there is something wrong with the present equation.

But, there are a good core of players to begin with, so it should not be too hard to tweek it to get to the next level. Or, heads will roll...

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're likely to have a top 10, possibly even top 5 (I really can't force myself to say probabl...... there is another letter there, but I really, really can't type it, it hurts too much) pick in next year's draft. Which according to early scouting reports is deeper than last year's draft which was considered kind of weak.

But I really think the team is going to continue to struggle with the current defensive corps and the middle of the forwards.

The Capitals put out a superstar at LW, but they can't even come close to putting out a matchup like the Penguins had in their championship year with Malkin, Crosby and Staal. Backstrom is good, but he can't be the **** he was last year again. I like Brooks Laich and all those other guys, but nobody in their right mind would say they match up like Crosby, Malkin and Staal. And when Alex Semin disappears again and only Ovechkin can score, well you have a problem.

As I said before, the Defensive corps doesn't look good enough to me. Boston had four good lines and it had Chara. Washington has neither and is a long way from Chara. They don't have the defensive corps to match up the way the Blackhawks did either, with Keith, Seabrook, Campbell etc. Sure they can score like Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp etc, but Chicago had BOTH.

I like the Caps. I would be very happy if they won the Cup this year (and then forgot to claim their draft picks at the end of the season because they were hungover MAKE THAT HAPPEN!), but I think it's unrealistic.

13. Parsons

Parsons New Member

FC København
    May 16, 2011
    København, DK
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    my question is when are we going to have organized support in the stands, I know it was attempted before but didnt really stick, but I feel like now days it would be easy to convert one of the 400 sections into an organized support section... just sayin.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be something new.

15. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    That would be nice.

Of course the owner would have to be on board...

16. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    5-0, looking good!

Philly & Detroit should be a good measure of where the Caps stand right now. They should both be good games. Hopefully Ovi breakout games! :)

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, the Caps are in Sharks territory. None of it matters until the playoffs.

18. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Say what!?! The Sharks won't be making the playoffs at the rate their going. :D

19. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    6-0 BABY!

Spanking the Flyers on their home ice is always a treat! :)

Bring on the Wings(preferably BBQed)!

20. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    7-0!

Blowout of perhaps the best team in the NHL! (well, second best as we speak)

Lord Stanley please pickup the white courtesy phone... :D

21. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick Backstrom is quietly off to a very nice start this year. At this pace, 90-100 pts could be possible.

22. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    He really stepped up last night!

Hopefully he continues playing like he has, as I felt he had incredible potential to take his level to a new level two years ago.

And hopefully Ovi gets back to his level...

23. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, are you concerned about him at all?

I Know it sounds silly to say that he may be declining when he's still putting up big offensive numbers, but I guess the question is valid.

24. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't know about anyone else, but I am.

He is trying to hard and forcing too many shots.

If he would just play it simple, his numbers would increase dramatically.

25. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize that Boudreau benched him last night until I read that a couple of hours ago. I'm not even sure what he did wrong--trying too hard, not enough production, whatever...--but maybe this will be a wake up call for Ovi.