Was Yesterday's Screw Up Seaman's Last?

Discussion in 'England' started by Melloblkmon, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I have to explain what I am talking about. As a USMNT fan goalkeeping is a highlight of our games. Keller and Friedel would have NEVER let this kind of goal in IMHO.

I want to know what the England Fans think about this latest goalkeeping debacle???

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Never say never....
    It could happen...
    Seaman has always been solid in goal..
    It can happen to any keeper IMHO..

Seaman is now about 40 years old..
    time for retirement methinks..

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US and England should work out a trade...we can spare a GK, and you guys can give us one of your superfluous center backs. Pope needs a partner.

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Seaman is a joke, he always has, at least since I been watching him this past few years, he isn't bad, but please as England number one ?...I do not know what the coaching and fans saw in him, can't be his magical golkeeping, maybe it is his girlish looks , sure must be that ponytail, just a constant turn on to those watching

5. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    At this level, you can't allow for goals like this often. He's done it with Arsenal this season, he let it happen with Ronaldihno this summer. Sven should've given him a nice warm-fuzzy swan song in a friendly & brought in some fresh blood before the Euro 2004 qualifiers.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Helping you out here. This works much better as a poem.

7. Luther_Gabriel

Luther_Gabriel New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I've have always thought of Seaman as a good goaltender because of he has always been on winning teams, and I liked him because of his outrageous looks, but after letting in that Ronaldinho free kick and now this, with shakey goaltending in between, it's time for him to retire and spare himself any further embaressment. He has had a great career, there is no need for him to be remembered for his mistakes, but if he keeps playing he will be.

8. Ilhan Mansiz

Ilhan Mansiz New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Anchorage,AK
    I never seen the guy hold a shut out,In fact one match he gave up the lead 2 or 3 times from easy shots on goal.I have always wondered myself why is he always in the nat squad he isn't even really that good.If this Englands best then don't even bother thinking about the WC,Think about getting better goalkeepers.

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    didn;t you watch the world cup??
    he had 3 clean sheets in the world cup against argentina ,denmark and nigeria..
    He's been a good servant to the team.
    He was a good keeper but now he is getting older and its time to step down.

10. Ilhan Mansiz

Ilhan Mansiz New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Anchorage,AK
    I did watch the world cup but i didn't watch any of Englands games except against brazil which he did not get a clean sheet.I agree he "WAS" a good goalkeeper but not anymore at least not on a national level.I think England is a good national side but i think a new goalkeeper is a must.

11. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but who takes his place

Nigel Martyn

David James

or
    Richard Wright???

Comments Please..........

12. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I think Seaman would have already been toast except there has been no one who stepped up and demonstrated that he should be in the net.

13. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    How about Tony Meola?

14. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p:D

15. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    DS reminds me of the old lady whose family sits around trying to decide if they should take away her liscence and car keys. How bad is bad? And who will drive her to the store now? Everybody's busy, and no one wants the job, so she keeps driving. Until a really bad accident happens.

DS, however, has the power himself to avert tragedy. Why not be remembered instead as the noble, workable goalie who endured many years and finally retired when his skills were fading instead of being forced out?

He's survived this far by doing a lot of canny guessing. In WC, he guessed horribly wrong.

16. Femfa

Femfa New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Also, I vote for Nigel Martyn in goal.

Mainly because I'm already hoping that opposing team's fans sing XTC's "Making Plans for Nigel" as soon as he steps on the pitch.

17. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Paul Robinson at Leeds
    Chris Kirkland at Liverpool
    Stuart Taylor at Arsenal

All great young keepers, the problem being that they're a bit too young. They need at a good few years of league play before they can really be considered for International duty.

So what does that leave us with?

David James
    Richard Wright.

David James should be Englands Number 1 for a good few years.

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nah, Martyn is a year younger than Seaman and a whole lot dodgier.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I would like to see kirkland edge out Dudek and get playing time with the 'pool to see if he will live up to the expected hype.

Personally i think he will.
    It's a waste to have him on the bench up there, perhaps he'll want to move on soon to get regular playing time?

Fergie to bid for him in the summer after another season of Bartez fumbles and clowning around?

20. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    granted he's young, but they could do a lot worse than robinson...

21. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Can't see it happening any time soon, considering Liverpool have just given Dudek a nice pay rise and contract extension.

He didn't impress me greatly at Coventry. He looked good, but not as good as Robinson.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's very unfortunate that probably the three best young 'keepers have all had limited opportunities at the top level - two because veteran England 'keepers have kept them out, one because a foreign international was brought in as well.

Imo, goalkeeper is the one position where the influx of foreign players is hurting opportunities for good young English prospects. A team only has one goalkeeper - obviously - and teams are going for the 'finished article' rather than giving an opportunity to a younger, less established player. Ten years ago I doubt a player like Kirkland would have been sitting on the bench rather than playing for some Premiership team or other.

23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Opponents have found Seaman's one glaring weakness...a weakness worsened with old age. This will be his last year with the English team.

24. crummy

crummy New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    Watford
    Seamans main weakness has always been his ability to be "accident prone"

He has been the "victim" of more flukes than any other keeper in history.

Part of the time some of these "flukes" have actually been flukes - other times these "flukes" have been down to poor goal keeping.

Seaman has NEVER been able to adjust his feet - he has NEVER been an athletic goalkeeper.

He has always relied on fantastic positional sense [which he still has] and his ability to stay virtually unbeatable in 1 v 1 situations.

But he is not only an un-athletic keeper - he is an OLD un-athletic keeper [in top level sporting terms!] and he is getting found out FAR too often.

I don't like the way he's being hounded - but he is putting himself in the firing line and he has to accept he's gonna get shot at.

25. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    david james should get the reins with paul robinson backing him up till robinson is ready to take over like he did at leeds.
    i feel robinson is going to be fantastic and he will be a mainstay on the england squad till kirkland actually gets playing time at liverpool. thats horrible that kirkland is wasting time on the reds bench when he should be getting even more playing experience. didnt dudek just sign a new contract.

oh ,please God, let Richard Wright have a fantastic season for Everton in order to get him back in the frame.