Was The USMNT the first nat. team to be Nike?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Supersuperman99, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    With MLS bieng outfitted completly by Addidas. Will this also be a step closer to the USMNT also being outfitted by Addidas. And how long has the US been Nike?

2. helmzgk

helmzgk New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    california
    Re: Was The USNMNT the first nat. team to be Nike?

The US hsa been with Nike since after the 1994 world cup. I'm not sure on the contract with Nike, but I don't think the USMNT will be outfitted by Adidas anytime soon. I wish they were, because Adidas is a little bit less cookie cutter like in their uniforms than Nike is, but only by a little bit.

3. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    before the us was with nike, they were with adidas. don't get me wrong, i think adidas makes awesome unis, but back when the usmnt was wearing adidas.... we had some nasty, nasty outfits.

4. wonko389

wonko389 New Member

Oct 11, 2004
    jax, fl
    I for one do not want to see USMNT go to Adidas. I have one simple reason, Nike is an American company. You wont see Germany wearing anything other than Adidas anytime soon, and you shouldnt see the Yanks in anything other than Nike. That said, do I think we should get preferential treatment and not have the same cookie cutter uniforms the other national team have? Yes I do. We are their home, we should get something special.

Note: I dont have a problem with Adidas sponsoring MLS. Anyone willing to spend money on the MLS is cool in my book and deserves my business provided their products arent crap. I drive a Honda, shop at Home Depot and wearing Copa Mundials, but I didnt plan it that way I swear. Though as a self respecting New Yorker dont plan on me eating at Pizza Hut anytime soon.

5. turbostevo

turbostevo New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    dallas
    I agree. Plus, Nike has poured so much money into USA soccer.

Absolutely. If no one else, the USA should definitely get unique uniforms. That being said, I don't see why they need to cookie-cutter the uniforms at all. It's ridiculous watching us play Mexico and we have the same uniforms, save the logo and color.

6. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    AGREEANCE

7. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Pizza Hut

Still looking up other details, but (knowing I have seen this on another thread) Nike paid The Fed $120 million in '97 to be the sponsor of the men's and women's squads. Initial deal was for 10 years.

Pales in comparison to the $430 million paid to ManU, or $200 million for Brazil.

Anyone know if it is has been re-upped?

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I agree with the sentiment, but I'd support a move away from Nike to another US-based company, if such a thing was to happen.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

yeah, I think they have a new deal since then. Plus, it's in the contract with nike that the US has to be one of the top 3 federations in sponsorship money recieved.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    A-D-I-D-A-S.

It stands for "All Day I Dream About Sex."

Not "All Day Day I Dream About Sex."

Oh, since it's a German company it's pronounced ah-DE-das, not AH-dee-das.

:D

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I'd love to see Mexico go back to the kits they wore in (I think) France '98. That Aztec symbol that was sort of watermarked into their shirts was awesome. Their current uniforms suck.

12. KingLouie

KingLouie New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Club:
    Club América
    I'm pretty sure u speak of the old Umbro kits. Those would date back to 1994. But thinking about it now, yeah ABBA made some with the Aztec symbol on them for '98, those were sweet.
    The 94 kits had smaller Aztec symbols inked to them.

13. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It was '98. These are the uniforms I was thinking about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As much as I hate the Mexican national team, I loved those uniforms because they represented something uniquely Mexican.

These are the kits they wore in '94, which were similar, but the Aztec symbol wasn't as obvious.

[​IMG]

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    What happened to Blanco's arm? He can often be a ghost on the field, as we know. Does Pablo Mastroeni have it?

15. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Like who..... the Gap????

Seriously, is there another US company that makes soccer gear?