Was Cubillas our best player ever?

Discussion in 'Peru' started by KesOne, Dec 26, 2005.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    rarely..is right...cant recall him scoring of a pk for club in germany

2. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Was checking out Soccernet's World Cup website...

rolled over? :rolleyes:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=365930&root=worldcup&cc=5901
    :eek:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=365936&root=worldcup&cc=5901

3. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Rolled over my ass. It was probably written by some ignorant gringo. During the game the score once was like 2-1 at one point? The defense in all the brazil goals was horrible. Tripping over the ball and shit :mad: Imagine we had a solid defense that game... :eek:

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    and we had rubiños

5. locotl

locotl Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    florida
    you know I was going to make a tread about this game since I just got the whole game on DVD and was able to watch it this weekend (I got it on Ebay). Most of us heard about the score and that it was "the best game of the '70 WC", that Rubiño played horribly and that our defense stunk.
    I think most of us has at least watched the goals in that game but not the entire 90 minutes.

6. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Peru vs Brazil?, yea I downloaded it for free. :D

Magical stuff from Peru.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

your thoughts on the game

who played in central d?

i know La Torre was benched and without Melendez there surely we had our fourth best central defender next to chumpi

8. locotl

locotl Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    florida
    Yes it was true that the score was 2-1 at one point and 3-2 at another. So here is my recap.
    Brazil did totally owned Peru in the first half, we had no defense (Fernandez, Chumpi, La Torre, Campos), our midfielders were lost (Mifflin, Challe, Baylon), and our fowards (Perico, Cubillas, and Gallardo) barely touched the ball. The first half dominated by Brazil and the score (2-0) could of been worse. Brazil really rolled over them :eek: . In the second half things evened up a little bit but Brazil was still dominating. Peru played better and had passages of nice one-two passes. Peru was able to score a couple of goals and had like 3 chances on free kicks close the box that were not capitalized. Close to the end Brazil subbed a couple of players (saving them for the Semifinals I guess) and Peru really put the pressure on Brazil but it was too late. Pele had two different shots on the post and one goal not counted for offsides (I think). The final score 4-2. At the end of the game Mifflin ran over to Pele to exchange jersey's:rolleyes: .
    What struck me the most was that for the time both Peru and Brazil had fast technical players. Peru had nice size players in good shape with Perico Leon leading the way (that guy looked scary, tough build),Baylon, Chumpi, Fernandez, even Challe, Cubillas, and Mifflin had the diamond shape torso. And of course Sotil (who came in the second half) was like a bull, the Brazilians tried to tackle him but could not bring him down. Of all the Peruvian players the only one that looked thin was Gallardo (man was that guy fast).
    Individually I think Rubiños was to blame on a couple of goals but he also saved a couple (and most people don't talk about that).
    Chumpi unfortunately did not played good at all.
    Cubillas a total ball hog he definately has talent but please PASS THE BALL.
    Fernandez played good IMO, was able to run down a couple of counter attacks by himself.
    Challe did not have one good long pass, but now I know why they called him "niño terrible" (I had already seen him throw the ball in the head of a Argei in la bombonera and in front of the ref, but in the WC he was pulling shirts and trying to pick a fight ).
    So all in all was a good game with a clear win by Brazil. Peru had their chances especially in the second half but it was not close.

9. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    probably securing his transfer to Santos;)

10. locotl

locotl Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    florida
    Even while Chumpi was our captain, Perico was the one that put everyone in its place on the field. We had Velazquez in the 80s. That is something we lack now, a guy that will give "desahuevina" pills to lamers.

11. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Yo también vi el video completo del Perú-Brasil del 70 :)
    Claro, que eso fue hace 12 años, antes que empiece la WC USA 94

De lo q recuerdo de ese video, es q fue un partido emocionante, claro q en un ritmo totalmente diferente al futbol q se juega hoy. Pero se jugó sin dudas un muy buen partido.

Este sería mi análisis individual:
    RUBIÑOS (4): Un partido malísimo, donde regaló varios goles, aunque al final tuvo algunas intervenciones de mérito.
    CAMPOS (4): Fue una puerta abierta x su lado, al final cuando Perú se asentó él también mejoró.
    FERNÁNDEZ (5): Estaba jugado aceptablemente, pero al final del partido, bajó mucho su juego.
    CHUMPITAZ (7): Empezó regular nomás, pero al final se volvió una muralla.
    FUENTES (7): Al comienzo lo tuvo controlado a Jairzinho, pero al final bajó su juego también.
    MIFFLIN (6): Estuvo acertado en la distribución, pero no marcó a nadie (también que no era su función).
    CHALLE (8): Para mi gusto fue el mejor jugador peruano, tocando pelota y armando juego con mucho criterio.
    BAYLON (4): Muy opaco, como todo el mundial. Lo cambiaron x Sotil.
    PERICO (7): Muy buen trabajo en el 1er tiempo. No entiendo xq lo cambiaron.
    CUBILLAS (8): Fue el delantero que llevó más peligro al arco brasileño, aunque al comienzo hizo poco.
    GALLARDO (6): Lo mejor que hizo fue el gol, pero jugó aceptablemente.
    SOTIL (6): Le dió mayor empuje a la ofensiva peruana.
    REYES (5): No dió fuego, mejor hubiera seguido Perico.

12. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    De los brasileños me impresionaron Gerson y Rivelino. Unos maestrazos ;)
    Gerson más pensante, pero Rivelino con una habilidad extraordinaria. Y los dos con un manejo de la pelota fuera de lo común.

Pelé también fue incontrolable en el 1er tiempo. En resumen, todos los delanteros brasileños jugaron a muy buen nivel, esa creo fue la mayor diferencia.

Muchos dicen q la derrota se debió a la mala actuación de Rubiños, puede ser, pero como dijo "locotl" también tuvo buenas intervenciones, osea, era muy irregular.

También dijeron q otra cosa hubiera sido con De la Torre, pero eso queda en el campo de la especulación. Además, José Fernández era un gran defensa, el mejor después de Chumpi y Meléndez, pero estaba fuera de forma.

El era el Capitán, antes q aparezca Chumpi, incluso en el 65 fue el 6to mejor jugador Sudamericano en una encuesta que se realizó. Pero ya estaba veterano, además que jugaba poco en la U, porque se alternaba el puesto con Lucho La Fuente.

13. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  14. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
  15. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
  16. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    that hair transplant sure as hell helped. :D

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060509/1/6qdc.html
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bypa/pastp_profile.html?commonname=500034

grande nene!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru