Warning: Do not watch the Cygan OG againt pan.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by billyho96, Nov 3, 2004.

1. billyho96

billyho96 Member

Aug 16, 2003
    Arkansas
    It is the worst OG in the history of the sport. (except maybe that one that got the columbian player shot after WC94)

He heads the ball in the back of his own net from 20 yards. If it would have come at the other end of the pitch, I would say it was the finest header Arsenal have had in the 4 years I have been watching matches.

Words do it not justice.

2. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I laughed when He scored that own goal, For some reason I was expecting Cygan do do something stupid the whole match. He proved me right.

-N1

3. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    sorry the worst own goal in football history has to be a clip i saw on A Todo Gol a few months back. Actually I Think it was a J-League game. Anyway the keeper goes to throw the ball to someone and the ball stuck to his glove and ended up being thrown right into the net from the momentum of the follow-through. I laughed my ass off.

but the cygan O.G. was pathetic.

4. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    It looked like he was ducking, not trying for a clearence but instead....

...well you know the rest.

UUUGGGGHHHHHHHHH

5. gunnerdude11

gunnerdude11 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    den haag-for now
    I know it might kill me, but does anyone have a video clip of it? This backs up my belief that Cygan sucks the dill and should not get a top flight start in a while.

6. NY via SE18

NY via SE18 New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    NYC
    Sorry lads, I blame Pires for it. It was class though! LOL.Anyway, Pires lost his man, who happened to be the shooter. Took too long to close him down thus allowing the shot. had Cygan ducked it may have gone wide or jens may have got it, but he'd still be criticized. He was just unlucky. A player with no pace and bad luck needs to be replaced, he could be costly later on.

7. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004

I think Cygan was desparately unlucky.

8. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    the commentators on ESPN said 'this has got to be one of the most unlucky players'
    i always feel sorry for him
    he seems to be trying his best
    then he seems liek hes trying to score an own goal always

9. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree with you on that. The guy is just unlucky. He actually played well in CL matches last year, this just isn't his year. If they pick someone up in January, then they can send him back to France to finish off his days.

10. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Cygan did what defenders do, they try to deflact the ball when it looks like it's going for goal. Of course with his typical luck it ended up being an og.

And it's far from the worst og I've seen, that would have to go to Hencklemann (sp?) then keeper for Villa. Villa gets a throw-in deep in their own end, the defender throws the ball back to Henckleman, who tries to control it with his left foot but he just manages to touch it and then it rolls into the goal.

I laughed.

KJ

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The worst own goal ever? Lee Dixon has at least half a dozen that were worse than that! :D

12. Miles Brasher

Miles Brasher Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Coventry,England

Its hard to blame Cygan for that, the goal was seriously unfortunate, though probbaly what the Greeks deserved. I don't think Cygan played any worse than the rest of them, and had a great game against ManC in the Carling Cup.

13. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that one, too. Classic.

14. SH diddy

SH diddy New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Livonia
    worst OG ever????? ....................naw, Jeff Agoos has that title til the end of time

15. ArsenalGooner

ArsenalGooner Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    What? That was one of the best goals I've ever seen. He struck the ball with confindence and power- there were strikers playing in that World Cup that couldn't have pulled that goal off! :)

Oh, Cygan might be unlikely, but he's still a big pile of crap.

16. splara10

splara10 New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, this one is the worst.

17. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    What's that quote about "Creating your own luck"?

No one is as consistently "un-lucky" as Pascal Cygan. No one.

18. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tony Popovic could give Cygan a run for his money in the unluckiness department
    u gotta admit his 2nd own goal earlier this season better be on the top goals of the season show

19. Henrik

Henrik New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    You folks have a short memory as far as own goals are concerned. Remember our own wonderful captain Tony Adam's "beauty" vs Wednesday in 1990 which made it 1-1 and finished our campaign for winning the title.

Then there is Dixon's classic vs Coventry at home in 92. I had barely found my seat in West Stand lower: Arsenal kick off, ball back to Dixon who sends it back to Seaman........only he gave it too much wellie - it sailed over Seamans head and...0-1 Coventry after 20 sec and no Coventry player had been near the ball. We lost that game 1-2.

And please dont ignore O'Leary's own goal vs Sunderland in our 2-1 FA cup 3rd round win in.........eh 93 I think. Or Keown's vs Bolton 2002 which killed off our championship chances.

Point Is: If you're a goalie or defender you will be remembered for you mistakes, I dont see many posters bleeding about Bergkamps penalty miss vs Man Utd Fa Cup semi 1999. Says it all really.

Cygan is not the best player Arsenal we have ever had, and perhaps we should look for back up in this department, but he doesn't deserve all this crap!

20. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Couldn't agree more with you Henrik, because of the great defensive in the league the season before, i had Dixon's name on my shirt and was in the East Bank Upper for this game. I couldn't believe it!!! What a great goal if it had been at the other end.
    Cygan tried to clear and failed. If he had ducked out of the way and not tried to get the ball he wouldn't of been doing his job and would of been critisized as well, so he can't win. He has done a job for us and is fine as a replacement.
    At the end of the day the most under-rated Arsenal star since Wenger has been there is Gilles Grimandi who in my eyes was a god. Cygan can be similar.

21. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    most of us are just saying he is unlucky
    there are a few bad seeds saying hes crap

22. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have to admit that when I saw the goal I thought of the posters on this board immediately.

However, most of you have mentioned some great own goals... I remeber Gary Neville powering a header into his own net in spectacular fashion.

But the best own goal I have ever seen came in a secondary school league in Trinidad. A defender facing his own goal (with our deadly striker on his back) tries to clear the ball (aiming we suppose over it or to the side) by trying a spectacular volley (you know the kind Di Canio always does where he kicks with one foot and then the other?). The ball is smashed, I mean crushed top left corner with swerve and dip - we stopped playing after that goal. The ref was laughing the coaches, both goal keepers and all of the players. There was about 5 mins left in regulation and we could not be bothered to finish playing.

23. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    You know one thing fans of all clubs have in common. After a bad result they always try and pick out the single defensive error that cost them the game. Be it a fumbled save, conceding a penalty, or in this case an own goal.

No one ever remembers the midfielder who let the attacker through. No one remembers the time Henry stuck it into row Z from 4 yards.

Tis a curious penominen no?

Henry himself says he doesnt envy goalkeeps, that he will always have another chance to score, but you cant undo a conceded goal.

24. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004

Do you have a link or remember where you talked about Goalkeepers? I'd be interested in seeing what he has to say.

25. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Apparently most people need a scapegoat and preferably one of the recognised "shite players". No matter how these guys play they're always going to get some stick from their own fans. I've read comments from people that didn't even see the match and still they were blaming Cygan for the draw!

At least Gilberto finally seems to get some recognition for his great contribution to our succes.

KJ