War on what exactly?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Magpie Maniac, Jul 7, 2005.

1. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again...I disagree...strongly! Terrorism HAS NOTHING AT ALL to do with poverty.... you see any poor Bolivian terrorists? Bolivia is, in fact, the poorest Sourth American country, yet I have never, repeat never, seen a Bolivian terrorist! Neither has anyone else? Why?

Further, since the United States does quite a bit around the world to help combat poverty, why would terrorists be against us, if indeed, as you wrongly allege, terrorists are urged on by poverty? Huh? That would be like biting the hand that fed them?

The G8 Nations were meeting yesterday to discuss, among other things, world poverty! Why did terrorists attack them in London?

Simple reason is this: Terrorism HAS NOTHING AT ALL to do with poverty....

Terrorism is fueled by fanatical morononic zealots who wrongly understand a cause and think that they can use acts of terrorism to inimidate the weak.

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    IM, are you still in America?

3. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Some people have.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not too shabby. But next time, look in the mirror.

5. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Poverty is one reason and not the only reason. It is a number of factors acting together to this conclusion. Hence in Bolivia these other factors are not present (after all they do not feel a war has been raged against their ideologies as some Muslims do) but in other countries they do.

I am a Londoner and the reason I have continued to say from long before that waging a war against terrorism is not the answer is because it is in my interest more than most for such acts to cease and due to a sense of common humanity for an end to the death of the innocent. Perhaps I am wrong in my conclusion that the root of the problem should be answered instead of a war on terrorism but so far the war has not only shown to be ineffective but it has probably increased the number of terrorists worldwide and far more innocent people have died because of it.

6. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Give it a break, this is getting old! You are making yourself look silly by making comments like that.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    It bothers me when people who live in US have so much hatred for this country, yet continue living here.

8. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ

"Bolivian terrorists assassinate four U.S. Marines. A Bolivian terrorist organization had just assassinated four U.S. Marines, and the company was asked to decrypt files seized from a safe house. They had twenty four hours. They decrypted the custom-encrypted files in twelve, and the case ended with one of the largest drug busts in Bolivian history. The terrorists were caught and put in jail."

Gee. That took all of 10 seconds.

9. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    how about a Zimbabwean terrorist

;)

10. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Zimbabwe African Nationalist Union

"In addition to conducting guerilla warfare, the ZANU also targeted civilians and foreign missionaries. "

11. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Those were anti colonial freedom fighters

;)

12. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    I guess he just picked a bad example... :D

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Like my mama always says, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

14. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ
    Now had he chosen ZIPRA , he would have been right

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the poorest nation on earth?
    How many terrorists hail from that nation?

Unless you come up with an answer, the thesis of linking terrorism and poverty doesn't hold water! Indeed, Saudi Arabia is fairly well off and the family bin Laden well endowed financially... therefore why would would one of their own, Osama, turn terrorist? The answer has nothing at all to do with poverty!

Bolivia has been the poorest nation in South America for quite some time yet its people are mostly Christian and terrorism never achieved roots within the mountain nation... indeed terrorists gravitate toward Columbia....

16. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

That damn Ivy League !!

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    [​IMG]

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. In ITN's case, he is right twice a life time. And here is one of those times. There is no direct correlation between poverty and terrorism. Not in the sense of who is perpetuating acts of terrorism.

To be sure, since terrorism arises from attempts to unlawfully either impose or extend a given agenda, or to challenge it, those who are challenging an agenda or order could be doing so in the name and with the support of the poor. But I don't think it is useful trying to understand terrorism through just issues of poverty, as its causes and its employers are too diverse to fit a single category.

19. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not moving any goalposts skipshady! I just take issue with linking poverty and terrorism... there is no link!

Are we guilty for 09/11/01 because we didn't give the world a Happy Meal???

It's leftist lunacy to link poverty and terrorism!

20. Magpie Maniac

Magpie Maniac Member

Dec 28, 2001
    North Carolina, USA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what else bothers me? When chickenhawks won't enlist. Why are they still here? Shouldn't they be dodging bullets over in Iraq?

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Yeah, that's the same thing. :rolleyes:

22. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    I didn't make the argument that poverty = terrorism; I just pointed out how you look stupid when you pull "facts" our of your ass, such as their not being any Bolivan terrorists.

And with the needless reference to Christianity, we see the real working of ITN's mind.

[ITN]"Those Bolivan groups don't count as terrorists - they're not Muslim!!!"[/ITN]

Interestingly enough, the Zarate Willka Armed Forces of Liberation (a Bolivan terrorist organization) carried out a number of attacks on U.S. interests, primarily against Mormon churches and missionaries. The group has also claimed to be responsible for the 1988 attack on U.S. Secretary of State George Schultz. They also claim to “fight for the rights of the poor” and against “U.S. intervention in Bolivia.”

23. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    You are incorrect in stating that.

Do you hate your mother or beat your wife for no reason? Would you like to intimidate her fanatically, moronically? I bet you wouldn't unless you are crazy. Are you telling me terrorists are crazy? I doubt that very much. Emotion like love or hate doesn't just generate by itself for no reason; it's always caused by external stimulants. I think you can call them fanatics but they are not crazy or doing these things blindly like you said. There are politcal goals in all these actions.

Plus, Britains and Americans are not weak. They are the most strong ones yet they are the targets of recent terrorism. So it's actually inimidating the strong.

24. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    no - but some of your country men are guilty all right.

Do me a favour ITN

Go to Hanoi. Have a look at the last bunch of people that the US bombed into the stoneage. See the reality of ordinary people and the lives they lead. Be amazed that they can be friendly and don't rip your heart out for what was done to them.

25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

:D