Want to own a baseball team? Republican only, please. No Democrats need apply.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Samarkand, Jul 6, 2005.

1. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I would like to think that if it were 1975 and Steinbrenner were just now applying to buy the Yankees he would have done just that. However, that still does not excuse the illegal and/or marginal business dealings of Soros.

But here is the interesting point: The Left is criticizing Davis and Sweeney for their APPROACH to keeping Soros from buying into MLB in a rather obvious attempt to deflect the review of his shaky and/or illegal business dealings. Which was worse, Davis' APPROACH to the subject or Soros' HISTORY?

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that the conviction was a result of an illegal contribution to the Nixon campaign, I'm not as sure of that as you are.

Why should that have any bearing on whether or not he should be allowed to buy a team in Major League Baseball?
    I think you've got it the wrong way around. You're trying to bring up Soros' alleged shady past to deflect criticism from Davis' interference into Major League Baseball's business dealings, when a shady past almost never has a bearing on whether or not someone should own a baseball or any other sports team.

So don't hand me this jiveturkeyism about how "the Left" is criticizing Davis and Sweeney to deflect review from Soros, when Davis instigated this entire affair to begin with.

3. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I went to RFK today to watch the Nationals play the Mets. I saw one of the most incredible double plays I've ever seen.

4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love sitting at the ballyard on a Saturday night....beer in hand....watching a great pitchers' duel.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    It was cool blowing off a half day of work today. My office is about three blocks from a Metro station, so I hopped on the subway and went down to RFK, where I met my brother-in-law. Drank about four beers, and had a blast.

Oh, and I hope Soros buys the team, builds a new stadium and names it "Pro-Choice Secular-Humanists for Stem-Cell-Research and Gay-Marriage Park."

:)

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if he buys the team either.....just hope it doesn't happen until after the trade deadline so you guys don't get any pitching help and we can catch you.
    ;)

7. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. And I had my hopes up for Lefty Moonbat Field.

8. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Helluva race in the NL East. I still can't believe the Nats are doing so well, with virtually no big name players.

9. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    You are overlooking the fact that I said from the start that Davis made a mistake approaching this entire matter from a political perspective. The best I can say for him was that he was being honest about his true motivation.

However, I went on to suggest what a more logical way to attack Soros COULD be. You can agree or disagree with the man's political point of view but the fact he had bent and broken several rules speaks to his trustworthiness in the joint endevour know as MLB.

Look. I don't like Soros one little bit. That dislike is not based on his politics. If he wants to be a liberal, fine. There are a lot of people in the world with whom I do not agree on certain things but that doesn't mean I don't like THEM. In the case of Soros, I don't like him. Period.

As to your comment that a "shady past" has not prevented ownership of sports teams in the past; that is not true. The recent ownership tussle with the Minnesota Vikings is only the latest example. Fellow owners are NOT likely to admit anybody into their little clubhouse that is going to get Congress on their back by challenging their anti-trust exemption. Bud Selig may be a nincompoop about a good many things but this is any area that he rules rather tightly. The same goes for the NBA and NFL.

With that, I'm out of this thread.

10. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    "Absolutely! Owners of professional sports teams must be beyond reproach!"

- Al Davis, Oakland, CA

11. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    DJ, in general I find you to be one of the most thoughtful and well-spoken posters here, but this is complete and utter manure.

I am not a member of the Left, nor am I criticizing Davis' approach. I am criticizing Davis for getting involved in the situation at all, regardless of whether he's accusing Soros of being an inside trader, a currency speculator, a kitten killer, or a devout Satan worshipper.

If MLB decides "Hey, this Soros character is a son of an ill-tempered woman and has a past that is so shady and murky that we don't want to sell him the Nationals for fear of what he might do in terms of his business dealings with the league," fine, more power to them.

But Tom Davis, who is a politician to the core, is only getting involved in this because of politics. What right does he have to get involved in MLB's decision about who they are going to sell the Nats to?

12. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Against my previous statement that I would bow out of this one...

thank you for the compliment.

That I have chosen this opportunity to attack Soros is not a point from which I will duck. I don't like political opportunists, especially when they are 2-faced money grubbers, and Soros fits that mold. Part of that is my disagreement with his political stance and part of it is his HISTORY. Unlike Steinbrenner who made a single illegal decision (that has been identified) over 30 years ago, Soros has a 30 year history. THAT is why the man truly gets me warmed up.

Davis does also but he has had far less impact on the face of the American political landscape, hence my selection. But the nature of the special anti-trust exemption given baseball, by Congress entitles Davis, and any other pol who chooses to do so, the right to comment on who gets into the club. That is the critical component that has been overlooked. I just believe Davis did not do it well.

13. jackistheman

jackistheman New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Fair enough; I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Having lived in Davis' district for many years (and having voted for him, too, before he became much less of a representative of a fairly moderate district and much more of a partisan figure), I don't think the man could care less whether or not Soros is a felon. Davis is opposing Soros' involvement in the bidding purely out of partisan spite.

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Davis and Sweeney didn't just comment. They've threatened to scupper the deal for no other reason than Soros votes Democratic.

15. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Soros was never convicted in the USA; he was convicted in France. By US law, the man is NOT a felon. He has a clean slate. To date, I've not seen too many Republican politicans who care much about what happens in France.

And for all this bs about Soros' business practices - firstly, he has done nothing illegal, except in France, and secondly, why is anything he has done any concern of Davis or Sweeney? He has broken no laws. It is still legal to make bucket loads of money and choose not to contribute to the Republican Party.