Want to own a baseball team? Republican only, please. No Democrats need apply.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Samarkand, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    A group headed by George Soros and Jonathan Ledecky are in the running, but not the favorites, to buy the Washington Nationals. In an incredible reach into business and the regulating of it, Rep. Tom Davis (R-VA) has issued thinly veiled threats that Soros and Co. better not win or proceed much further because Soros is not a Republican.
    So unless you are a convicted felon and Republican (Nixon) supporter, like Stienbrenner, or George W Bush another good ol' Republican boy, or naturalized American and Republican-supporting Murdoch well, hell unless you are just about any shade of Republican, you can own a team. If you're a Democrat, then the Republicans will stomp on you via the might of Congress.

So Republican are now imposing their thinking and beliefs on the business community? Hmmmmmm......

Full story here.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I remember, Bud Selig was comissioner, not Rep. Davis

3. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Some background info on Malek:

http://www.pd.org/topos/perforations/perf2/malek.html

4. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Soros is a convicted felon, too. That being said, the Republicans who made these comments and threats are way out of line on this issue.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    :confused: :eek: Ian, are you feeling OK?

6. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Padres owner John Moores is a significant financial donor to the Democrat Party.

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    In France, not the USA I believe.........

But this gets better......Davis, who based on these comments is getting up there with Bob B1 Dornan has said about Soros that he's really not the type of person "we need or want in the nation's capital." Also, Davis called Soros "a convicted felon" and "pro-marijuana." Soros favors the decriminalization of marijuana, and clean needle programs, as a way to combat drug use.

"You've got a league with a steroid problem, and you're going to sell the team to a guy who is pro marijuana? I just don't think we need or want that in the nation's capital. I just don't think you want such a polarizing figure."

According to Davis Soros is also an "out of towner. I mean, to me, Soros is the guy who has so much money and wants to buy the world, I mean that's not what baseball's about. This is above all a fan sport. This is the Nationals, and they're going to give it to some multinational?"

And then Davis really hits Soros where it hurts with "I don't think I'll be getting good season tickets if he gets the team." Wow..... :rolleyes:

Amazing...............

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    George Steinbrenner, your thoughts?

Maybe Soros will be so pissed off, he'll buy into MLS.

9. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I knew Jon Ledecky in college. Very smart, very principled and very liberal. I don't know about his politics now...I do know about his wallet. He's loaded. Too bad he isn't interested in buying DC United.

10. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card

Feb 2, 2005
    Baseball no way Jose, but soccer is another story. Hell yes we should own a soccer team.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Fixed Davis' quote.

One could also have inserted Hiroshi Yamauchi's name in there, but he's not really a "multinational".

12. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can't believe he represents a NoVa district.

13. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that he was one of the original investors, right? He was part of the group that owned DC United.

But I'm guessing you already knew that.

14. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I'm ashen-faced with embarrassment. Just the other day I was trying to remember the original owners, and drawing a blank with DC. I can't believe I remembered Stuart effin' Subotnick, and Danny Villanueva, but punted Soros.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Soros the guy who was taking out full page ads against Bush in the last election? He made himself an enemy of the party by his actions so why is anyone surprised that some Reeps would jump at a chance to prevent him from buying the team or make his life a bit uncomfortable?

I am not condoning any actions, just pointing out that if you piss people off it has a way of coming back on you.

16. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, unsuccessfully so!!!

Soros' Drug Pushing record is illustrated and detailed here:

The Record: Why You Don't Want to Take George Soros' Money
    http://www.larouchepub.com/pr/2003/031028soros_money.html

While I am not in the habit of citing a Larouche site for reference matter, this site details George Soros' background more than most!

And since I hate the Nationals anyway for ruining RFK Stadium, it wouldn't matter if Soros bought the Washington Nationals; it would just give me and additional reason to hate them!

17. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Whatever happened to Republicans wanting government to stay out of business? These crazy neo-cons are not even Republicans anymore. If real Republicans like Specter and McCain ever get some courage, we could see a party schism, especially with the potential divides the Supreme Court nomination could create.

18. Mikeshi

Mikeshi New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    Jasper,Ga
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They weren't in power then.

19. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I stopped reading here.

20. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    You are correct. Today's Republicans are more like Democrats of the '70s.

These guys are more like Democrats than Republicans. Neither one will get a gold-embossed invite to the dance.

21. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Is Soros a US citizen?

22. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Naturalized in 1961, iinm.

23. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good thing you told us. I was wondering how that whole thing turned out.

24. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And you don't find it the slighest bit chilling that you have to mind your Ps and Qs around the party in power lest they stymie you in business, financially and so forth? And minding your Ps and Qs involves NOT doing what's legally permissible, lest you offend the powerful and wealthy? What's next? Criticize the party in power and you get fined? Or jailed?

These warnings by Davis and Sweeney, essentially, Don't criticize us or we won't let you do business, are worthy of tinpot, jumped-up, bullyboy politicians in 3rd world dictatorships.