Want-away LD?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Roblar, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Page 36 of The Palo Alto Daily News has an article on Landon Donovan with quotes indicating that he is thinking of heading back to Europe because he is tired of being hacked to the ground by defenders while the refs watch idly.

The headline: "Quakes' star cries foul"

First line: "Landon Donovan says he's beginning to have second thoughts about continuing his career in Major League Soccer because of the way referees are allowing him to be abused and battered by opposing defenders."

Quote #1 from LD: "I have been saying all along that I would like to stay here and play, but it has been crossing my mind lately that I might want to return to Europe."

Quote #2 from LD: "I'm taking a lot of hits and I'm not getting the calls. It's happening every game, and I'm concerned about getting injured. It's definitely a problem."

Quote from Yallop: "It's really a shame to that he is beginning to think about going back to Europe because players like him are better protected over there. That would be a big loss to the Earthquakes and MLS."

!!!!!!!!

2. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he thinks he's gonna go back to Germany and be better protected there, he's in for a surprise. He's gonna get knocked around like a pinball in a machine.

His logic is fuzzy.

3. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Of course his logic is fuzzy. When you dive into the ground that often( and at that velocity), that'll begin to happen...

4. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    IMO, he needs to stop diving. He will get hurt from that eventually. Germany is not the place to go if you're scared you're gonna get hurt. SOCCER is not a sport to play if you're worried that much about getting hurt. This could be like Ajax's Mido incident a week or so ago: words were said that were not meant. Simply something said out of fustration.

While I was typing that it occured to me that the team as a whole might be having a lot of fustrations. Although I am definatly NOT a psychiatrist or anything like that, if I were FY I would seriously consider group anger management classes or something. But then again I'm not FY either...

5. soccer4life12

soccer4life12 New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    near Rochester, NY
    i agree! soccer's a contact sport, and if he thinks germany's gonna be any better, well then somebody better clue him in!!

6. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes he has gotten a wee bit whiny lately. Since his whining about the missed calls isnt working, which I agree he does get a lot of bad no calls, you would think he would just shape up and start getting all of them back by scoring goals, no matter what the refs are doing. Come on Lando, just show them what you can do even without all the calls.

7. Marie

Marie New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    San Francisco
    In my humble opinion, I think everyone needs to take a good look at the Yallop quote.

Frank our very own transplanted European is well-aware of what the style of play and officiating over there is; this is simply he and Landon taking their case to the media after what has undoubtedly been a very long season of petitions and behind-closed-doors appeals. While it does come off as a bit snively in print, I'm sure that they are both more interested in getting MLS' proactive attention than whether or not they are giving Donovan detractors fresh material. Fact: losing LD, whether to injury or another league, would indeed be a "big loss" for MLS.

The only thing that surprises me here is that fans of this side seem as willing to exonerate the hackers as their own fans are solely on the basis of Landon's status (which, granted, makes us all vaguely uncomfortable for whatever varied reasons). As much as we all want him to just produce and make all of this a nonissue, it will and should continue to be an issue - hacking is not just bad for players, it's bad for soccer.

8. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this, but its not like we can do anything about it. Maybe write tons of letters to the commissioner, but thats about it. I know its hard to play when you are constantly being hacked, but some of the dives that players take are totally uncalled for, even though I know they are just trying to make up for those non calls. Its a hard subject, and I'm behind Landon all the way supporting him, which is why I hope he will step up and be the player we all know he can be.

9. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You guys totally missed the point.

Last year, only when Landon singlehandily destroyed Crew, then Fusion begun to apply the hacking technical to take away Landon's game. This year it came early and in different form. It wasn't about Landon got hits when he had the ball or tried to do something with the ball. It is also about the off ball movement when he got hit before he took off with his patent run.

In Europe, if you watched the game, they do come tough on you if they decide to do, but there are a LESS hacking when you are not with the ball. Those defenders are very skillful. MLS just employed too many no skill hacks.

Also on Landon's dive. You have to distingush when a player dive without a contact. Example, Nancy Boy of Mexico in US game. In other time, when you are being pumped from side or behind that isn't strong enough to bring you down, but you would lost the ball possession if you try to keep your feet. In this case, you need to go down.

If the skill level between attackers and defenders are too steep, then you will see all kind of hackings.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not surprised, rather I would say greatly disappointed with the fans of this side. They're laying it on too thick in my view.
    Shaster also makes some really good points. Donovan is getting hit off the ball, as well, with the direct intention of intimidating him or injuring him out of the game. This is not new, it happened last year. I remember talking with LDo's mom about it after one game.
    The guy really is a hacker's target, no way you can get around that.

11. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    It happened last year so why is handling it the way he is? IMO he seems as if he's not really attempting to play to his full potential.

12. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Landon Sucks :mad:...

Trade him to the A-league for his weight in fresh shrimp.

13. elainemichelle

Jul 20, 2002
    Could we get some Alaskan king crab too?

I don't think he needs to be traded. He's a good player. He's just a little confused right now I guess. Post-WC depression?

14. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how did I know that was coming lol

15. megs2

megs2 New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Missouri
    It seems like LD has become increasingly whinier and whinier (if thats a word). I also don't think he's handling the situation very well either. I guess he thinks by whining to the press, all of his problems are going to go away.

16. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Frank and would add---would be a big loss to soccer in the US.

He's gotten so much attention since the world cup and he's become respresentative and the recognizable figure of soccer in the US to people who don't give a rat's azz about the game. People approach me all the time asking about LD. He's the perfect conversation piece to open a discussion about the game. Why would anyone want him to leave? I can't believe that rants about referees can go on for pages and pages in this forum and all over BS but when it comes down to LD ranting (and rightfully so) about the refs, people take the side of poor officiating by saying, in effect, good riddance Landon?!?

PU-LEEZE!

17. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    News just in: Landon is a diver.

18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You're right. Tell Wolff to step up when some heck from T&T just took him off for one year. So was Tab Ramos and Wynalda. Let Landon to be a man and has his legs broken. Then he can watch from TV in 2006 US World Cup games to gracefully thanks how great MLS defenders are.

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Want-away LD?

Landon can rant about the reffing all he wants. I could care less. I'd even encourage him to do some constructive whining. But his threatening to return to Germany (or wherever) because of it is ridiculous and childish. If that's how he feels, then, yes good riddance. Take your ball and go home!!!

I'd rather have a player who's happy to play here. And one who is more tactful about taking up issues such as these. If he has an issue with the way the refs are treating him, then he should take it up with the league. Or, yes, even whine his brains out to the media (cuz at least that will get attention). But to threaten to just up and leave is ridiculous logic.

So there's a problem? Either take your ball and go home...or do something about it.

20. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will forgive this just because I know you don't have the abstract thinking skill yet (teeneagerosis) to take in information from different viewpoints and put them together to make an intelligent comment. :D

21. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ROTFLMFAO! That's what we've come to expect from IBT. If Donovan is a whiner, then IBT will beat him out anytime. Go ahead, IBT, tell everyone how I hate you. ;)

22. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Want-away LD?

But what price should happiness cost?
    Landon: "I have been saying all along that I would like to stay here and play..." I think he's saying he wants to stay, and um, play.
    How do you know he hasn't? I doubt that he would rant in a newpaper and not say anything to MLS. MLS just isn't telling you or me about it, but the newpapers are. Give him more credit than that or at least the benefit of the doubt.
    You make it sound so easy. Do something about what (the refs?) and how (by keeping his mouth shut and mind closed to his future)? (yeah yeah I know you said complain to the media--it gets attention, but you say that on one hand and in essence, quit whining on the other)

let us agree to disagree.

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Want-away LD?

Do something about the things he whines about. You're right, I don't know that he hasn't.

I'm not saying not to complain about it in the media. I think he should. That might actually bring more attention to the problem. If the problem is made more public, it's harder for MLS to ignore.

However, he can be more constructive about it. Instead of making threats, he can state the problem (heck shout it, whine it, spit it out!!). Then give ideas on how things can be fixed. But to just say I'm gonna take my ball and head off to Europe cuz the refs suck is pathetic. If that's the best solution he's got, then don't let the plane door hit ya on the way out Landon!!

We all have issues at work. My employer certainly hardly ever looks out for my well being. But I can either chose to whine about it all day long, or I can take steps to make my job easier. Whether that be going to my supervisor and complaining or just finding ways on my own.

But I guarantee you that if you go to a good supervisor and whine, they'll look you in the face and say "Okay, I see you have a problem with this. How do you suggest we make it better?" I was a supervisor once. And I had to deal with people coming to me with issues. That's always how I handled it. Unless of course, someone was just coming to me to whine. In which case, they didn't have any solutions. But my question always made them think of ways that we could make the job easier for them together! Easy way to turn a whiner into a solver.

I did have employees (maybe one or two) who loved to complain about things. And their way of trying to make changes was to threaten to quit. I would tell them that I didn't them to stay in a job where they weren't happy. But.... If they wanted to try to work things out, then we could try to find solutions together. Either they would work together with me to make things easier on both of us, or they would just up and leave. Either way, I think we were both better off.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Bottom line is, Landon can either make threats to leave, or he can take the high road and be more tactful in addressing the issue.

24. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Re: Re: Re: Want-away LD?

See: Dwayne DeRosario

25. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Given the sources of the quotes and the timing, I smell an age-old media trick...the star player hints he might not stick around if things don't go his way and the coach points out how horrible that would be for everyone involved. Translates into veiled message for MLS/referees..."We want more calls to go OUR way for the playoffs."

Not saying I would object, mind you. I just think "tis the season" for that sort of thing. Everyone making their appeal to the refs for the benefit of the doubt. To quote Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack as he handed the course official a $100 bill, "Here ya go, tiger. Keep it fair, huh?"

I don't think these quotes make a statement about Donovan at all. I believe the frustration factor more than any other theory.