Wambach and Reddick

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Mississippi Flash, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Mississippi Flash

May 19, 2002
    Mississippi
    Has anyone considered that the injuries to Chastain and Mac were a blessing in disguise for the team in that they opened the door for two powerful young players on a team that was a bit light on strength? Had both players been healthy (Mac was also out for the run up), I don't think we would have seen much of Abby or Cat. If Brandy and Mac were suddenly available, I don't think they would start.

2. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about it and agree with you but I didn't want to state it publically. :)

3. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, enough of this Lovefest.

In 2000, April was on a local soccer talk show (Rochester has as many as four in season) and she was asked about Abby's possibilities for the USWNT. April was very pessimistic about Abby's chances and her game. If you would have heard that interview, you would be amazed that Abby made the team much less has the been the acclaimed player for the US. This is a huge credit to Abby's hard work and to the fates that gave her the opportunity. This also demonstrates that April may be lucky, too.

The only question I have for April is how do you like your crow? Rare, Medium Rare, Medium or Well done? Would you like some dipping sauce? We have blue cheese, honey mustard and ranch.

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    if brandi magically came back i think cat will still be starting and sobrero would sit

as for mac and abby, i don't know but i would hardly say that shannon lacks strength

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear the honey mustard is rather good, if I can pass along a recommendation from the sous chef. :)

All things considered, though, I can't speak for Cat Reddick, since I haven't seen her play either on TV or in person (I am living overseas), but I had a good feeling about Abby Wambach since the beginning of 2002. Good to see Abby make good...

But in any event, what we are witnessing (in the cases of Reddick and Wambach, among others) is a changing of the guard being ushered in here, and being done with fantastic results on the grandest stage in the women's game.

If there were ever any doubts or questions about either one of them, let it be known that both Cat and Abby are passing their tests with flying colours.

So to answer MF's original observation... yes, definitely a blessing in disguise. :)

6. magiclamp

magiclamp New Member

Jan 2, 2000
    New Yawk
    I think April would gladly eat crow, because to be honest I too don't think she would have made it if she had stayed at that level. I don't think simply being in the WUSA would have done it either.

However, being on the same team as and having as your mentor Mia Hamm is what did it. And NO, this is NOT just the Mia Homer in me speaking. The way those two talk about each other says it all. Mia, more than anyone else has been a motivational force for Abby. And I do mean force. Mia's intensity and desire to win is unrivaled and Abby soaked it up like a sponge. Those two have a bond that I can't see her having with any other player.

They had a chemistry from the start and when Abby was left off the roster that last time I can practically hear Mia saying "you want it that bad? Then get off your a$$ and do it! You show her everyday how bad you want it." Not in a berating way, but encouraging.

Now that's not to take away from what Abby has accomplished. Not at all. That desire and determination has to come from within. Mia helped to fuel it and encourage her to believe in herself and know she could do it. For me, it's like hearing Mac talk about Clive Charles and the strength and encouragement he gave her throughout her career, but especially when she was cut from the team. He gave her the belief in herself that she could do it. And pretty much told her to stop feeling sorry for herself and get off HER a$$ and go do it. :) Then, to make it BACK to the team after her injury, well, watching her talk about him made me cry along with her...

Abby admitted to feeling sorry for herself during the Freedom game that followed and that she needed a wakeup call.

But if not for the WUSA Abby would never have had that chance at all.

sigh...

7. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    If Mac was healthy, I would start her at right midfield instead of Foudy. Julie is a better passer but not by much. Mac is far superior offensively however. Of course a Mac / Abby front line with Hamm at the attacking mid role and Parlow as a reserve would also be effective. It will be interesting to see who holds off retirement and sticks around for the Olympics and which forward line we field in that tournament.

8. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I think that the relationship is much more symbiotic than you let on. Yes, Mia has mentored Abby, but I think you are overlooking the fact that the protege has also lit a fire under the mentor. Mia had a so-so first season with the Freedom, the second season saw injury and personal problems. Questions were whispered whether Mia had lost it. Abby carried the Freedom on her back until Hamm came back. I think Mia saw the gem that Abby could become and that fired up to come back with a vengence. Either way it's looking like it will be a happy ending after all.

9. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magiclamp, Bleacherbutt, wonderful posts. I really think you touched on the heart (literally!) of the issue here.

An interesting aside: In the USWNT documentary, April told the team before one of the games to "play with your heart." What did Abby say in her interview after Norway? That she "played with her heart."

10. jvcoach40

jvcoach40 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Wambach,Reddick and Boxx are the future of womens soccer. abby is the new womens soccer player; big, strong and fast. the international soccer game is going like all other sports - you won't be able to compete unless you have size. parlow is another athlete that is going to be a star.

11. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    i'd say size and speed, but yes, both all the better. and parlow has been a star for many years- one of the most prolific scorers in women's soccer history.

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think despite nothing special at the cup, you might want to throw Wagner into that group.
    She's likely to be another great one.

13. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    On Wagner, I am still waiting. She needs to stand up and deliver in proportion to her hype in the big matches.

14. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you're right, but Wagner has not yet shown that she can deliver the goods at the international level where the pace is faster and the game is more physical.

15. house18

house18 Member

Jun 23, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    As much as I love Abby it doesn't seem like she is fast, she is not slow, but her speed has not impressed me. Boxx has played well but can she be the future??? She is 26 already I believe, that doesn't leave many years left on average.

16. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Her speed is deceptive. After watching her for 2 years, it's amazing how she continuously blows by people or lengthens her space from recovering defenders.