Walt's latest

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by The Greatest, Feb 25, 2006.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Buschy's alway's a good interview.

http://scn.matchnight.com/scn-entry.cfm?page=ARTICLE&article=1127

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article. Lots of juicey tidbits to enjoy.

Can it be true? Could the enigmatic Stephen Herdsman finally be out of a job here with the Crew? I hate to rag on a guy who's been constantly injured, but my heart nearly skipped a beat at the idea that Stephen "Permanent IR" Herdsman might finally stop wasting a precious roster spot. Thanks for trying Stephen, sorry about your bad luck with injuries.

Also, does anybody know much about Retiz? I know I've read that the Crew is trying to sign a contract with him. What position does he play? How big/small is he? What's his style of play? I know Wheeler says at the end that he's kind of a mystery man, but if anybody knows much, I'd love to learn more about who this guy is.

Busch also has a few good quotes about Rusty, so maybe it will be a decent signing afterall. Too early to tell really.

3. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was impressed by Dayton O'Brien when Memphis came here two years ago in the NCAA tournament. Good to see he's impressing the team.

I pulled up an old article from 2003 in the Preseason thread that says Retiz is a left footed player that's capable of playing on the wing or in the back.

Too bad we're not hearing Rec League Woly is on his way out as well. I can't see how he keeps hanging around this league.

Any idea if Kitamirike has joined the squad yet?

4. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Shawn Mitchell's article a couple of days ago in the Dispatch said Herdsman wouldn't be going due to injury.

5. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I read that Kitamirike got his visa cleared up like a week ago and was supposed to join the team when they returned to Columbus from Florida. I think that's what the situation was. Somebody can correct me if I'm remembering this wrong. So I would assume that he has gone with the team to Cyprus. His UK passport should prevent any complications, I would imagine.

2. Must be like Jordan last year when we couldn't get rid of him because of injury. Can't we just trade him to RSL for "future considerations", like a 4th Round Supplemental pick just to get him off the team?

6. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I don't know for sure, but I think you can cut an injured player during the offseason.

7. futballpunk

futballpunk New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Temperance, MI
    Right. But you can't once the regular season starts. This was the same issue with Paule last season. If we hold on to Herdsman until the start of the season, we are stuck with him for as long as he's injured.

8. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herdsman? I pasted my photo over his on last season's team photo.

9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    At the Crew media day, Sigi was talking to a friend of mine who asked about the draftees. He said the coach from another team in Memphis's league had recommended O'Brien highly and that's what prompted him to take a closer look.

Other tidbits: Jonny Walker and Ross Paule did some scouting of college players for Sigi. Chad Marshall used to play on a team with Brandon Moss and Duke Hashimoto.

10. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Crew 2006: this team is for real.