walmart goes communist for china

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Aug 26, 2006.

1. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...USINESSPRO-CHINA-WALMART-DC.XML&from=business

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/HH24Cb03.html

Ah, so Walmart is now in bed with commies and murderers? Wonderful patriots, don't ya think?

2. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giggle...

Can you imagine what would be said by the so-called patriots on this board, and in this forum, were this any other organization cultivating this type of relationship with theis aspect of China?

The extent that there is silence from that quarter is the extent to which they ARE the "Human=economic man or woman" equation that cripples their POV on other issues.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

So are we supposed to be shocked that in order to do business in China one must cooperate to some extent with the communist party?

I personally have had dinner and got drunk with Chinese government officials (who obviously are also communist party members.) But it would be ludicrous to say that I'm in China because I'm a communist or want to promote communism. I go because it is good for my business, it provides food to my table, and yes, it also provides food to the table of some poor Chinese common people. And if to be able to accomplish these things, I need to get drunk with local communist leaders, that doesn't make me a communist, does it?

And btw, when we drink, we always toast to peace and cooperation between China and the United States, Argentina, the world and so on. Does this make me a traitor to America?

4. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ASF...just stop.

You KNOW that if MOveOn.org or any such organization were ESTABLISHING BRANCHES OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY WITHIN THEIR ESTABLISHMENT IN ORDER TO "DO BUSINESS" IN CHINA THAT THE SO-CALLED PATRIOTIC ON THIS BOARD WOULD HAVE THEM WEARING THEIR GUTS FOR GARTERS IF THEY COULD.

The ONLY reason that folks LIKE THAT are going to let this go is because Wal-Mart is so ********ing rich; which, again, DEMONSTRATES where the REAL values of these folks lie...Not with humanity and its condition, but with CONCEIVING of humanity AS comprised OF Economic, commodifiable components, and EXPLOITING that.

That's the only reason Wal-Mart would be "admired," and the only reason that they would escape in THIS circumstance the type of criticism ANY OTHER ORGANIZATION would be crushed under.

* Note, to be fair, ther are some rabid patriots I know in my wife's family who have abandoned Wal-Mart altogether, but they are generally from the WWII era, and are possessed of the actual experience - no the bullshit talk, but the actual experience - of building post-war communities, and now watching those communities disintegrate as the Wal-Marts and Home Depots move in to depress wages, localize all costs and externalize most benefits. That era of folks does understand that. And this, for them , is just another nail in the coffin for Wal-Mart.

The group below that, the group of adults that grew up durign the war but were too young to remember any of it or to fight in it; that group, in my experience? They shop there. Remember though, this is the group that also bought everything the stores offered in the 70s, for their kids, regardless of any impacts such products had; they were the first true generation raised ON that consumer Golden Age, the first generation to be, defintively, profligate.

And they have set the tone, those baby boomers, for the rest of us.

Nonetheles, even those baby boomers MUST concede, as YOU must, that there are all KINDS of companies and organization that, if they were to install a branch of the Communist Party within their own organiations in order to do business with China, would be ripped from here to high heaven, REGARDLESS OF INTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. vanGobbel redded

vanGobbel redded Red Card

Jun 17, 2006
    Amsterdam
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Perhaps. But I think it has nothing to do with admiration or with the fact that they are rich. The reason why people will not question Walmart's involvement with the communist party is that Walmart's motives are obvious. It seems that the Chinese told them that they need to do this in order to stay in business, and so Wallmart caved in. Wallmart is motivated by greed, and if they need to sleep with satan in order to open branches of wallmart in hell then they will do it. That doesn't mean they are devil worshipers.

If anything, it is the communist leaders who should worry that being in wallmart will corrupt their ideology. (Or it would be, if at the present time their ideology was anything more than a pretext to keep their power and the status quo.)

On the other hand, some people would rightly want to question the motives of a political organization such as 'move on.org', precisely because they are a political organization. The first thing one would have to ask would be, 'What is moveon.org's purpose for being in China? Are they there to fundraise? To follow a political agenda? We obviously know why Wallmart is there, and so there is no mystery behind the motives that guide their dealings with the Chinese government. I don't see how you can make any kind of equivalence between moveon.org and Wallmart in this matter.

Of course, I bring up moveon.org because you did. I don't mean to imply in any way that they have any involvement in China at all, because as far as I know they do not. But if they did, you're damn right I would be interested in finding out their true motives behind it.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, you tell him! Poopypants, you ignorant American!

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. :D

8. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (1) Worshipping "the devil" and facilitating him...the difference?

(2) Do you really believe Wal-Mart isn't a political organization? I'll put it this way; which organization has more impact upon, and influence with, the current Administration, Wal-Mart or Moveon.org? I understand that thier open, stated "goal" - Walmart's - is ot simply make as much money as possible, but to insinuate that Wal-Mart is different from Moveon in that the latter is a political ogranization - as if Walmart isn't - is a bit dishonest.

(3) Moveon.org - in our hypothetical - facilitating a relationship with Chinese leadership and institutions in order to find and operate on common ground is, to my mind, less specious in terms of the overall American historiocultural context re: "communism" and "Communism" than Walmart, standing fast and CLOSING STORES in the face of democratic unions, allowing the Communist party and its union form into its venue on an ongoing basis. One is a discussion of ideas; the other, a debaement of one's own claims about these isms in the face of the opportunity to commodify.

(3A) It's your argument that the Communist Party shapes no culture, and is simply a way to hold onto power? Where in China do you go? Outside the economic enclaves? Outside the cities?

(4) Let's just agree that nothing will stand in the way of making money; and that, in that, we ought to tug on deez nutz and shoot the finger to ANYONE who argues otherwise; those folks around this nation committed to the idea of offering freedom to Iraq and other places...it's not about freedom per se, but rather the freedom of Wal-MArt to get in there to do what they do, right? Let's just acknolwedge that that's what wer'e talking about, and that OTHER people with OTHER conceptions of fredom aren't part of this frame on humanity.

9. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are you? Don Imus or something?

10. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they've simply joined the rest of Corporate America. *shrug*

Look, the view in the executive suites is that patriotism is for sucks. It's something useful when you need to sell something (including ideas) to rubes but if acting against the national interest will increase their quarterly profits by 0.001%, "American" CEOs will do it in half a heartbeat.

Of course, the same is true of human rights as well. The American ruling class doesn't give a dingo's kidney if a foreign government tortures, terrorizes and oppresses its citizens (in fact, in some situations, such things are demanded). Our rulers don't even care if the country calls itself "communist". As long as they let companies make a buck off their people, they can be as murderous and evil as they want and the worst they'll get is the occasional cynical jawboning during our election years.

11. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, if it's desired the USA will even help to shape the foreign government to benefit the companies making the buck. Even if that means killing citizens of the other country and well US citizens too. God Bless America.

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Hysterics and nonsense aside, what's important is that China has let WalMart in to begin with, not that WalMart in any way has sold its soul to be there (Besides, when in Rome...). This isn't about the quaint notion of so-called trade unions. This is another capitalist encrochment in a place where it would have been unimaginable decades ago. View it like this: WalMart will eventually sell the Chinese communists the rope they will hang themselves with.

13. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Either that or Hu Jintao.

14. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that China hasn't been anything approaching "communist" in decades. They've been transitioning to fascism for quite some time and our rulers are just ducky with a fascist China - unless they decide to become a world military as well as economic power.

15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typical European incisive commentary and nuanced analysis.

16. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Interesting thoughts. but why the difference between companies and politicians/political groups. All their motives are fairly transparent.

Also, I think Walmart gets a special 'patriotism pass' from conservatives because they have aligned themselves with the republicans, and given generously.

On the other hand, if Birkenstock or Ben&Jerry's (pre-corporate takeover) opened up sites in China with communist party union labor, I bet they would be viewed a lot more negatively - snarkly comments in rightwing blogs/press, etc.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    And those two companies, by the same token, wouldn't be vilified on liberal/lefty blogs in any manner comparable to the way WalMart is.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ben and Jerry's in China...what a brilliant idea.

Picture this...They got billons of hard working people suffering the oppressive heat and humidity, (well, at least in the South), and we got the best selection of euphoric flavors of the highest quality all natural super premium ice cream, frozen yogurt and sorbet in the world.

A winning combination, if you ask me. Comrade Hu, taste some of this 'Cherry Garcia', and sign me up for the communist party.

:D

19. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

Are there any lefty/liberal blogs complaining about Walmart opening stores in China, or letting the communist party run the employee union?

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Thought I'd post this for the millions of you on this thread who still think the U.S. and WalMart are dealing with a 1950s or 60s-style China.

Wake up, guys--it's 2006.

Where’s Mao? Chinese Revise History Books - New York Times

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    You're right river plate, china in 2006 is a bastion of human rights, free political expression and labor rights?

dingbat.

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Rome wasn't built in a day.

23. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You're right metrogo, America in 1906 is a bastion of human rights, free political expression and labor rights?

dingbat."

Everyone has to go through their own social revolutions.

24. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt, the difference is that in the US we had the groundwork laid by way of the Constitution (and still it took decades and decades to get equal rights for women and minorities.) China doesn't even have the groundwork so your comparison is unfair.

As for WalMart in China, I don't give a rat's ass. I'm much more concerned about how WalMart behaves in the US.

25. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you think that this market infusion could be the groundwork? Why did it work in Eastern Europe but is not possible in China? They didn't have our constitution.