Walker, Martino, Marshall, Hejduk called up

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by The Greatest, Dec 20, 2005.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=287651&itype=113&iCategoryID=0

1 - Its nice to see Walker called in. I don't think he has a shot to make the WC team, but its great to see him rewarded for a great 2nd half of the year. And it makes if more interesting for us; we now have two international keepers.

2 - Glancing at the USA boards, people seem suprised to see Guzan on the list. I think anyone who has really followed MLS in 2005 would not be suprised to see Guzan get this chance. After his first month or two, when he did indeed look pretty bad, he was one of the top goalkeepers in the League. He IS the next Tim Howard, except I think he may have a better soccer brain in terms of knowing when to come out and not just relying on athletic skills to make saves.

3 - I am suprised to see Ihemelu called up. I think Parkhurst is a better player right now, but I'm not USA manager.

4 - Jaqua has loads of talent, he just needs to learn how to use it. Nice to see Arena giving him a look.

5 - Rolfe definately deserved this, he's a good kid who does things the right way. I still can't believe we passed on him in the Draft.

2. pepe_pupu

pepe_pupu New Member

Feb 4, 2003
    Arizona
    Definitely great to see these guys called up. But Greatest, you seem to suggest Walker hasn't been in the mix US before. He's actually got three caps and numerous call-ups. He was consistenly the back-up on almost all the WCQ in 2004. It seems like he was headed for a spot before he injured his shoulder last year and I think he as well as any of these guys called in have a chance to make the WC team. Nothing is set in stone and a lot can change in 4-5 months! Quite a few guys like Martino, Noonan, Ralston, and Quaranta have done well recently and all have a shot at making THE team. A lot of it is about this last stretch...

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (Crew) Arena Calls In Walker, Martino, Hejduk and Marshall

Yanks Abroad has Arena calling in Marshall, Hejduk, Walker and Martino.

Sadly, it appears Cunnigham's ship has sailed.

4. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Yeah you're right about Walker. I was thinking this was going to be his first cap, I'd forgotten that period shortly after he came back from Colo Colo or Chile or wherever he was playing before he came to the Metrostars.

5. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the competition at this camp is for bench spots and special roles. A lot of those guys will need to buy a ticket if they plan on seeing the inside of a German stadium next June.

6. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Re: (Crew) Arena Calls In Walker, Martino, Hejduk and Marshall

twellman got called up, so unfortunately his apparently hasnt yet.

7. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    I'm thrilled to see Walker back in the mix. The guy is a real talent, I'm sorry we ever let him go... Yeah, his chances of being the #3 guy come June are slim, but at least he gets the tip o' the hat.

8. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    But hey, look at the bright side you got Meola. J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets

9. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a little disappointed, in this lowest-common denominator kinda of camp (I mean almost 30 MLSers), that Edson didn't get called in. Not surprised, mind you, just disappointed considering our lack of depth at striker. I believe that Sigi's done some scouting for Bruce in the past; I wonder if, despite his short time here, he's come to some conclusion regarding Buddle's professionalism, work ethic, and, when asked by Bruce about Buddle's preparedness, expressed some doubts. Pure conjecture, obviously.

It's just that EB has so much friggin talent; if he could get his head screwed on right, he could be getting called up to the Nats regularly.

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This late in the cycle, talented guys with their heds not screwed on right, like Buddle and Gaven, are out.

11. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    But, apparently, Martino is not out. How's that work? The Bruce like frisbee golf too?

I'm interested in seeing how Twellman does. He scores a gimme goal after how many odd games up top and his bandwagon yobs are suddenly vocal again.

12. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    I'm thinkin' that people on the national level still hold out some hope, however faded and fading it might be, that Kyle can be our next 10. We here in C'bus have lost pretty much all hope that will happen either here or, especially, with the Yanks.

But you never know The Bruce can work wonders with players.

As for Twellman, he doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure does he.

13. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cunningham? Party of one? Your table is ready.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena has been quoted in the past absolutely lavishing praise on Martino's talent. Soccer Times had him saying that Martino was the next USA 10 shirt, the obvious successor to Reyna, with Arena commenting on how guys like Reyna and Martino were so few and far between.

Now obviously that was something like three or four years ago now, but with Bruce hope springs eternal.

True that.And he can get solid Nats team performance out of so-so club players (see: Hejduk, Frankie)

I've always thought it was a question of toughness. Not exactly Brian McBride out there, is he?

15. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe with this type of callup, Martino will gain some confidence and come into 2006 season ampted to succeed for Crew. As for heads not screwed in right, I don't think that's ever been Kyle's problem, like is it of Edson Buddle.

16. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005

Martino strikes me as the kind of player who needs to be on the fringes of a very good squad and given specific ideas as to how to make his way into the team. I don't hold much hope that Sigi can somehow teach him how to be the creative go-to guy on a mediocre team. It's been tried, and despite what gets said about Kyle here, I've never seen a Crew game that I didn't think Kyle was doing his best and showing for the ball. It just doesn't work yet when he is expected to provide the aim for a team. His fringe status w/Arena on the NT is an ideal situation, but you don't learn soccer in the odd week here and there. "Deus ex machina," I'd have Freddy on Metrostars, Eddie in Columbus, and Kyle in DC.

I like the MLS call-ups except the defenders. The few good defenders MLS produces seem to end up in Europe, which is where Marshall will go, I bet.

17. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing Twellman, that kid can score though. Damn. He's the most reliable "softie" in front of net this league's ever seen.

18. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    just not for the nats...

19. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I didn't know if I should put this in the "Marshall injured" thread or here...

but our boy Kyle has picked up a knock at the camp
    [​IMG]

USsoccer.com says it's a right quad strain, although I'm 99.9% sure that his left quad is wrapped in the picture above. Hope he gets healthy soon.

20. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Kyle Martino concert/interview

There is now video up of his interview on the front page of www.ussoccer.com . The podcast is about 15 minutes longer than the video, though and features Kyle singing "To Be With You" by Mr. Big.

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he continuously admits that he has a terrible singing voice.