Wake for the SJ Earthquakes: 1974-2005

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Aquari, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Are we having one?

2. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    how about a party (kind of like one of those wakes where everyone get's ripped because the dearly departed would've wanted it that way!)instead...something at the Brit? :D

4. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's what I want to do...

Have a march from downtown Brit to Spartan... in the streets... during rush hour... with some form of alcohol in each hand. I want to piss on the streets of San Jose. Preferably on Friday afternoon around 5pm. Critical mass, earthquakes style?

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be there in spirit.

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So am I.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It reminds me of 1985 all over again! It was a lonely evening when I hear on my care radio that the NASL folded. Peter Bridgewater did his share of trying to keep the Americanized version of the Quakes around in 1985-1987. Bill Lunghi tried but I guess got in trouble at the end of the 1988 season, when Dan Van Voorhis & Terry Fisher came up with the Blackhawks. We had Preki & the Grizzlies in 1994-95. To tell you the truth, next year will be the first time in a while that we haven't had a "major" or "minor" or only soccer league team in many years! Well I guess we will have Seals but I don't believe they are either 1st or 2nd or 3rd division are they?

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    boom! there it is...I'm in!!

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where are they now? Famous quotes?
    "I'm sick as a pig"!
    -Gary Etherington said after the 1982 San Jose Earthquakes failed to make the playoffs.

What do we say about all of this?
    First goes George now the Quakes?
    I can't take it anymore!

11. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    count me in.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well San Jose soccer fans, we are back to the days of the kids Cup, CCS, SCU & Stanford Soccer!
    Or even Sunday League Watson Bowl. I hope they resolve their problem with the hazordous waste materials.!

13. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wish I could be there with you. Unfortunately, I have to sit here and cry alone.

14. jbeall

jbeall New Member

Jan 18, 2002
    NJ by way of GA
    Hi all,
    My deepest condolences. You guys got screwed, and it sucks for San Jose, and it sucks for MLS. MLS's hard-on for Houston makes about as much sense as the NFL's hard-on for LA... in other words, no sense at all. Frankly, the Quakes were my second favorite team (after the Metros) and I dug their unis.
    Maybe all isn't lost. Take Garber at his word that SJ is a candidate for 2007 expansion. While I know a lot of fans won't come back (see Jeff Carlisle's piece on soccernet today), the city of SJ just wasn't going to do what they needed to do (on a pinched deadline) to keep the Quakes when AEG was hell-bent on unloading them. But the carrot Garber dangled suggests that perhaps he's saying that now you guys have a year to get something in place, and with a more reasonable pace for talks, perhaps something can get accomplished in the way of an SSS.
    So while it's probably the last thing you want to hear, chin-up! You've got the rights to the team name and history, 2 MLS Cup titles, and a year to get SSV, SVSE, and the city of San Jose (or Santa Clara) to get back to the table. Let 'em know you want the Quakes back! (It worked for Cleveland).

15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    First of all I for once agree with Mark Purdy! This thing could have been done and it didn't get done. That is all there is to it. I'm not exactly sure we will be back in 2007. How can we be? We would need a voter apporval for a new stadium. That won't ever happen! Just like it got shot down in Columbus Ohio when it went to ballot the first time. Luckily they had Lamar Hunt who built the Crew their own SSS and tax payers didn't have to fit the bill. Let us assume we are 1 year from today, do you possibly see voters having approved a 80 million dollar SSS on the November Ballot? Then if its not approved where would the expansion team play? Spartan Stadium? Then we would be back to square one, so why even bother saying all this about 2007 or beyond? I seriously hope I'm wrong, but I'll believe a new stadium and a new team when I see it!

16. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The only way a future MLS team plays in Spartan Stadium is if they get massive subsidies from the city, which most likely wouldn't happen (and shouldn't happen). As there clearly are no alternative places to play, we will have to wait until someone builds a stadium first. I'm sure the Quakes will be back, but I think it will be about three years.

And the dates are wrong. The Earthquakes of 1974 have nothing to do with the Earthquakes of 2005 except the name.