Waiver Draft

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by doppelganger, Jun 28, 2005.

1. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    from http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050628&content_id=34838&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

11 players waived by their teams (as mentioned in Suarez thread)...

Earthquakes have first pick, and the one name that jumps out is Felix Brilliant...

he just got called into Yallop's Gold Cup side...yet has had a hard time craking the Rev's XI...

is he another castoff looking ofr a new life in SJ? will DK keeps things as is and not add any more players? is there roster space to even sign someone?

list of waived players:
    Alfonso Loera (Chivas USA)
    Ryan Suarez (Chivas USA)
    Eugene Sepuya (Colorado Rapids)
    Mamadou Diallo (MetroStars)
    Gilberto Flores (MetroStars)
    Cassio (New England Revolution)
    Felix Brillant (New England Revolution)
    Noah Palmer (Real Salt Lake)
    Marlon Rojas (Real Salt Lake)

2. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Neg rep me if you will, but I think we should get Diallo. He rules.

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Not THAT Diallo ;)

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    It's not THAT Diallo. They're not even related. Strange since the Metros just signed him. Must be a big ol' washout.

5. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unless we cut someone pretty fast. We're at 28 (18 first team/10 development team) not counting Waibel & Dayak. That's the limit these days.

We do however have Senior International and Transitional international slots available, and I would suspect we have cap room, although AEG's cap for the Earthquakes is considerably lower than the 'cap' for the 'Superclubs.'

6. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    As far as I remember off the top of my head, 21 years old defender.
    I guess, he sucks.

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've currently got a full roster, and I don't see anyone here that would help us. Seems a remarkable share of these guys (7/9) take an international spot, too: Loera (SI), Sepuya (DYI), Diallo (DYI), Flores (DYI), Cassio (SI), Brilliant (SI), Rojas (SI).

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any forwards on this list, at least, none that have played this season. So I don't see anyone that we might want.

I half expect to see Cassio get picked up. He's a pretty nifty player, though perhaps, not very durable.

That's about it.

Hope some of them catch on with the USL.

But not Suarez.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

9. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i didnt even know he was still around

10. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Even if we don't have room or want to add someone, can we at least leverage the first pick? Someone must want one of those guys. Perhaps we could trade a draft pick for the first position?

BTW, we COULD ask someone on the team to accept a DEV salary spot and open up a senior roster spot. Plus we have room for an SI. Plus we supposedly have cap space to add someone.

I wouldn't mind seeing a striker with blazing speed (like Jamil Walker). It would be great to have someone come in late and stretch defenses when we're counter attacking. What's Cory Woolfolk doing these days? I hear he's scoring goals for the Puerto Rico Islanders.....

11. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    It was my first thought too. "Wow, big MaMa is back!"
    But when I checked and found out, that this is a different guy.

12. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you serious??

13. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guess if i would have read ALL the posts in here I would have know that :rolleyes:

14. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    yeah, none of the names scream out to me either (figured since I started the thread, I would leave it open)...

it is an interesting trend that so many of these were already SIs...with 7/1 fast apporaching, I would imagine there may be some new foreign blood about to enter MLS? especially the Goats and the SuperClub... :rolleyes:

15. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Other than the potential marketing tie-in with one of those players...

"Felix playing for the Quakes? BRILLIANT!"

Think how that would benefit the keg of doom.

Of course, the fact that he's not Irish and pronounces his name "bree-YAHNT" has nothing to do with it.

16. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    from http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050628&content_id=34868&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

"Reserve midfielder James Twellman was also seriously injured during Tuesday's practice, apparently tearing the ACL on his right knee. He is scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday."

depending on the severity of Twellman's injury, a spot may be open....

17. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No we couldn't. You can only have 10 people on the developmental roster, bro.

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    You're right, but that doesn't stop the Quakes from cutting a player currently on the developmental roster. As posted here, looks like Twellman may be hurt, but even if it's not that serious, Dom could decide to let one of the current Developmental players go.

The only guys on our senior roster who are technically eligible to be moved to a developmental roster spot (based on age) are:

Aloisi
    Clark
    Gray
    O'Rourke

Of this list, you'd think the only one that would even be possible (based on what their current salary likely is) would be Aloisi. Can't imagine any of the others accepting it, or the Quakes even trying to do that with any of the others.

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Don't see anyone on the waiver list that would be worth going after.

22. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    ....yet. Teams have until July 1 to cut guys before their contracts are guaranteed. Expect to see some more movement.

With Ching reinjuring himself, you'd think Dom would be paying attention to any prospects at forward. (Not to bring up the old topic of whether or not he'll consider bringing Levesque back before the Sounders season is over....he said specifically before he would not, but that was when he expected to have Ching back in June)

I can't seriously think of us as contenders for a title with Cerritos, Moreno and Nash.

23. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    We have been thus far.

24. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Yeah, i agree, forward is still a bit worrisome for us. I hope we're both wrong and Moreno and cerritos come through. Alejandro has improved, on saturday I though he did a decent job with his back to goal. Cerritos has gotten a bit better at creating chances but his finishing is still worse than my granny in her rocking chair. Even if we found another attacking mid I think DeRo would be wasted up top, he's really come into his own at A-mid.

A few weeks ago I posted that I wished we had made a move for Razov, and I still wish we had (baggage and all). I know it was a very unpopular idea but I'd still like to have a true blue finisher on the team.

25. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Well, we have won some games, but I don't see us getting to the title game with these guys. I hope I'm wrong......but our defense is just so awesome, that I think one more strong forward would really put us over the top. Maybe Ching will come back in August and be healthy through the year....I sure hope so.