Wahl: Andy Najar to play for Honduras.

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by leppercut, Apr 1, 2011.

1. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This joke would be better if it actually shocking. It may not be true yet, but in all likelihood, he's going to be playing for Honduras.

3. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No surprise there Honduras used the Freddy Adu example to win him over, but hey it isn't official yet until he puts on the shirt so I'm not holding my breath to that.

4. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Can't blame the kid. As long as the naturalization process takes as long as it does, the US is gonna lose a lot of players like this. Just add him to the list of foreign-born US residents who didn't want to wait for the long citizenship process to unfold.

Vedad Ibisevic, Bakary Soumare, Yura Movsissyan, Ramon Nunez, Davide Somma, Roger Espinoza, probably Steve Zakuani and so on.

Plus, if he is waiting for citizenship, that means he has to live in the US most of the time he's waiting and that means not playing abroad for the big bucks for an unknown number of years and potentially passing on a lot of income.

From a strictly business decision, this was a pretty easy to call. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took this long for it to be made.

6. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a side note, did anyone see the joke played by Ives about Bunbury?

I was so upset.

7. American Arsenal

Jun 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Najar.

Yeah, you would have needed a new username.

8. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough loss for the U.S. but at least it isnt quite that bad now that Chandler has burst onto the scene. The future outlook for wingers was looking quite bleak but Chandler seems poised to be able to lock down the RM position for a long time...assuming there is a viable RB replacement for Cherundolo of course

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good. DC Scum, Hondurus scum. I can just go about hating him.

We all know Tim Ream was the REAL Rookie of the Year last season.

10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Agree with your post, but I can't even think of this as a loss for the U.S., more like it would have been an absolute steal if we had gotten him. He's only been in the country for like 4.5 years.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this one does hurt, its gonna sting just as bad as Rossi, Subotic Im thinking. Kids gonna be that good. Hes gonna be a terror in CONCACAF

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Can't feel that way.

They were citizens.

He is nowhere close to being one. It was always an extreme long shot and a bit of a fantasy for the most part. Can't be upset by something we never had.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    What? No. He wasn't raised here and has hardly any ties to American culture save for living here for the past few years. People should stop acting like he is or was an American player and was ever eligible to play for this country like Rossi and Subotic were. That is not the case.

14. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you are joking about hating him right? By all accounts, he seems like a really good kid.

15. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    He was raised enough here dude. His family came here for a shot, and found one. Don't pretend like it's unreasonable for him to represent this country. He could have if he'd waited. I don't blame him for choosing Honduras, but I fear it was for all the wrong reasons.

16. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly would the wrong reasons be? He's 18 there is absolutely no telling which way his career is going to go.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this an Aprils fools joke or is this for reals?

18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He was "raised here enough"? He was here for 4.5-5 years...since he was 13 years old. He was RAISED for 13 years in Honduras.

It is unreasonable for him to wait to represent this country because this gives him a better opportunity to expand his international career overseas by being a regular fixture on a senior NT, something he is not guaranteed of having with the U.S.

There have been reports that he is something like 3 years off from being able to represent us, in the same situation, you wouldn't have waited I'm sure.

The last comment is laughable. All the wrong reasons? He is HONDURAN. He grew up there and spent his whole adolescence there. He is still learning English, his entire family is from there, what about this don't you understand?

19. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Relax dude. No reason to be rude. I think I understand the situation perfectly. Seems like he wanted to choose the US but couldn't. I don't blame him for that. However, I don't see how playing for the Honduran national team is going to help his professional career.

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Then you should look up work permit laws in England regarding soccer players.

21. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this was an April fools thread, but there were some articles lately stating implications of him playing for Honduras. I think the most known one was the Washington Post one, its in this thread I believe.

22. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
  23. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunate but with Bunbury, Agudelo, and Davies and others in the US pipeline(Salgado, etc etc) I think the US will be alright

25. withoutthee88

withoutthee88 Red Card

Aug 23, 2008
    Chicago/USA
    How? He was born in Honduras. Lived there until he was 13. And needed a translator at his press conference. If you really think about it, he made the exact decision that we actually wanted Rossi to make. Play for your home country, not the country that developed you for the past 5-10 years of your life.