Wade Barrett try-out with IFK Göteborg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dandal, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Wade Barrett will, starting Monday, be on a try-out with swedish premier side IFK Göteborg (finished 4th last season). I'm not sure about Barrett's current contract situation (was Fredrikstad a loan deal?), but the piece in local newspaper Göteborgsposten (link) doesn't mention any transfer negotitions. There has been talk that IFK's new head coach, norwegian Arne Erlandsen (ex Lilleström), will be bringing players from the Tippeliga and Barrett seems to be one of those.

2. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    Interesting, do you yanks have any opinion about the player, playing history, strenghts and weaknesses etc?

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrett's a left sided defender. Relatively athletic and works hard. In his mid to late 20s. Not the most skilled player you'll ever see though. Has 1 Cap for the National Team but remains in the national team picture fringes due to our weakness at left back. Haven't seen him for a few years since he left San Jose.

Having not seen the level of play in Sweden I wouldn't know how he'd fit in, but he didn't seem to impress too many people when he was in Denmark nor apparently in Norway. Was a good, but no better than that, player in MLS, but that also had a lot to do with the scarcity of fullbacks in MLS (for some reason we just don't develop fullbacks in this country).

That said, Brian West was an unremarkable player in MLS and has seemingly become a top player in Norway.

4. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    Cheers for the info...:)

5. Red Raider

Red Raider New Member

Feb 4, 2000
    Barrett's MLS career was perhaps a bit more distinguished than implied herein. As the culmination of his years at San Jose, he did help San Jose win a Championship, playing as I recall every minute of every game that year. He also was included in the Pepsi best 11 in MLS that year.

Perhaps left backs don't get a lot of individual attention. At Aarhus, he was brought in to help the club avoid relegation, and he did just that. On loan to Fredrikstad, he did exactly the same thing as well, joining them as they began to dig out from the cellar toward mid table. Clearly one player was not responsible for that, but he was part of a revamped back line that turned the team around.

At Aarhus, the coach that brought him in was relieved of his duties, but Barrett played as a starter for the new coach. That happened as well with San Jose, so he does impress enough to make the starting eleven.

Barrett is fast, a hard worker, crosses well, and will attack if that is the system used by the coach. He can shoot or cross with either foot (he played a lot at right back for Aarhus) and is an excellent man marker. He is only 5'8" so on occasion a coach would not use him if the wing on that side was very tall.

Overall, he has produced at every level. He should be an outstanding additon to Goteborg.

6. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Just a little on Barrett's contract situation. He's with danish AGF until this summer. But the club's head coach Sören Åkeby says today that Barret will "fairly certain" not play any more for AGF. They will have a meeting with him the next few days to find a mutually satisfactory agreement. This according to danish soccer site bold.dk (link).

7. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad sideburns.

8. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I assume you're counting this as a strength and not a weakness.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  10. Horndude

Horndude New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    A long drive from SJ
    I seem to recall that Muttonchops had some injury problems in Denmark. But that's not a solid recollection.

When he left SJ he was very solid as a back. I agree more with the positive assessments of him than the negative.

11. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    News just came in at bold.dk (link) that Barrett is released by AGF, which will make it easier for him to sign with another club.

And btw, still sideburns, but overall more modest in the hair department:
    [​IMG]

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AGF doesn't want him? So why would Göteborg? Is it a question of meeting unmet needs?

13. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    IFK needs someone on the left side, a full-back or a midfielder. As far as I understand Barrett had some kind of longtime injury in AGF, they found a replacement and when Barrett was fit again he was loaned to norwegian Fredrikstad, where he played the 2004 season.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Denmark then Norway now Sweden. Boy, Wade sure is taking his tour of Scandanavia seriously.

After playing for IFK Goteborg one can only assume that he'll be heading east across the Gulf of Bothnia to play for Haka, Mypa or my favorite Finnish team, KooTeePee.

After that, it's off to Iceland where he'll team with Mark Schulte to play for IBV. While there, the native Minnesotan will preach the beauty of his home state to Barrett and Wade will finish his career, and his Scandanvian phase, kicking for the Vikings and moonlighting for Buzz Lagos on the Thunder.

All I gotta say is that if Wade doesn't end up with a tall, blonde girlfriend, he's doing something wrong!

15. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I suppose Odd Greenland might figure into the tour as well (Even though it's not a separate league).

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Or he may cross the Gulf of Finland and end up at Zenit St. Petersburg, which pays a little better than Levadia Tallinn, just due south.

17. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    how are the wages where Wade's playing in comparison to those of MLS?

18. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Barrett is supposed to have had a really good deal with AGF, more than $200K a year. If he signs with IFK, he'll have to settle for significantly less.