W-League Schedule to come out in the next week

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by Chargefan, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Schedule should be released this week

2. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  3. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Re: Will There Actually Be a New San Diego W-League Team?

Not sure if this is the same, but they do have contact name/info for the SD team here .

San Diego Gauchos
    2835 Highland Ave
    National City, CA 91950
    P: (619) 336-9861
    F: (619) 336-9864
    I: www.sandiegogauchos.com
    E: sdpsgauchos@aol.com

4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Elo - Sorry to say, but that is the information for the mens team. It's a "premier developmental southwest division" team (what I sort of think of as an A-3 league team.) I think that the Gauchos started up around 2002, after San Diego's A-League team, the Flash, disbanded.

Of course, it could be that they are sponsoring a women's team - but not likely, since their own attendance for 2004 was 1,793 for 10 games...

5. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada

That wasn't smart of them to put that on the women's page then, eh? Thanks for the correction!

6. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lady Silverbacks

Well, at least the Atlanta team isn't a figment of someones imagination ;) .
    Silverbacks Introduce W-League Team

So maybe, somehow, someone is taking over the Gaucho's mens franchise and is willing to pay for a women's team also...

7. Say What

Say What New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    San Diego
    Re: Lady Silverbacks

I don't know anything about who owns the Gaucho's, but the new W-League team will be tied to the Gaucho's. Tammy Crawford was on Inside Soccer today and confirmed it, she seems to think that SD is well equipped to field 2 teams. Click here and select Segment 3 to listen to the interview. :)

8. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside Soccer INterview

Melodie -

Nice Interview!

I was interested to hear about there being a Central Florida team, with 'key signings' to be announced soon. I wonder if Amanda Cromwell might be doing the coaching, nd if Michelle Akers would be involved in any way?

There is a lot of info on Tammy for those who want to 'google' her.

9. El Gato

El Gato Moderator

Mar 29, 2000
    Midwest
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a team in Central Florida has been difficult in the past. Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Jax (more northern FLA) have all disappeared into the night. Travel is their biggest hurdle. Boca to Jax is almost 6 hours, and you aren't even out of the state yet. At a min, I would say the USL would need two teams in FLA (and realtively close to each other (for ex. Orlando and West Palm)) to make it financially viable for teams to make a road trip into Florida.

Another hurdle is the youth programs. A lot of women to choose from in FLA, but many of them are loyal to their club teams and choose to stick with them, even after their freshman year.

10. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard the new team in Florida are associated with the Kraze. So this year there will be two teams in the state; Central Florida and Bradenton. The nearest team will be up in Atlanta. Boy that's a long bus/van ride.

11. Ms. Grumpy

Ms. Grumpy New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Any further word on the SD Gauchos Women? I've heard Ian Sawyers may be on board as coach. They're apparently playing at USD (Torero?), which further suggests a WUSA/Gauchos connection. It'll be interesting to see who ends up on the roster.

12. Say What

Say What New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    San Diego
    I'm so excited the Gauchos are playing at USD!! :cool: The SD WFC's home field isn't too much further down the road, but it was far enough to keep me from getting to any games last season. This has made my night.