W-League Finals[R]

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by gousa9, Aug 1, 2004.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Hey guys...

W-League finals are next weekend in Ottawa, and the three Conference Champs are being determined to join host the Ottawa Fury next weekend.

Eastern Conf semis went like this:

Montréal Xtreme 5 - Long Island Lady Riders 4
    NJ Wildcats 2 - Boston Renegades 0

first year team Xtreme now take on the Wildcats tomorrow (or today since it's so late at night) for the Eastern Conf title to determine who goes to Ottawa.

Western Conf winner was determined today as the Vancouver Whitecaps booked their trip to Ottawa by beating the Seattle Sounders 1-0 in Vancouver tonight.

Central Conf title will be played tomorrow as the Chicago Cobras will take on the Charlotte Lady Eagles to determine the fourth and final team heading to Ottawa.

If the Xtreme can pull off an upset, it's quite possible that three out of the four teams in Ottawa will be Canadian! Very exciting for Canadian soccer!

Elaine

2. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    The best regular-season team in the league punched their ticket to Ottawa tonight. NJ Wildcats 6, Montreal 5.

The games next Saturday:

Vancouver v. Chicago, 2:30PM
    NJ v. Ottawa, 5PM

Pichon had five goals in the win.

WAR CHARGE NORTH!!! (Pichon, Smith and Makinen...cue Cachundo :D )

Paul

3. pacmaam

pacmaam New Member

Nov 12, 2002
    The best regular-season team in the league .... NJ Wildcats....
    ... Back up the claim, please!

4. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    NJ Wildcats: 14-0-0, 42 points
    Vancouver: 13-0-1, 40
    Ottawa: 13-1-0, 39
    Chicago: 12-0-1, 37

Strictly by regular season record...

Paul

5. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    The Cats are a great story. They have NEVER had a better-than-.500 record since they started in 1994 as an experimental women's league with the Maryland Bays, New York Magic, and Long Island Lady Riders.

The team has had flashes of brilliance at times, relying primarily on home-grown talent. I remember when the team's big draws were Adrienne and Alicia Turner. I remember seeing Krissy Jeremiah blast in a free kick (with the juiced Mitre UltiMax ball) from 25 meters. I remember when goalkeeper Eileen Blair made something like 49 saves against the Lady Riders in a driving rainstorm. I was there when the Scottish influence hit the team, including a young woman named Deborah McWhinnie (who would eventually score a goal against the United States) was a striker on the team.

But with the addition of Kelly Smith, Marinette Pichon, et al to the team, it's amazing! The thing is, the team is without three of its expected players; Smith is out with a knee injury, Carli Lloyd is with one of the youth national teams (I think) and Heather O'Reilly is answering a much, much higher call of duty!

I just wish they didn't hold the Final Four in Ottawa!

6. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Kelly Parker of Ottawa was named the W-League MVP, despite looking up in the stat sheet at Pichon in points and goals. Parker had 45 points and 18 goals vs. Pichon's 49 and 21, respectively.

:rolleyes:

:|

Paul

7. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    Vancouver beats Chicago 2-1 in their semi-final.

8. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Thanks, Skoergal...

Paul

9. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    New Jersey beats Ottawa 2-1 in the other semi-final. Pichon has both goals, one on a PK. Ottawa's goal also on a PK. Other notable--Diana Matheson sent off with a red card for handballing on the goal line which set up the Pichon PK in the 30th minute.

10. Skoergal

Skoergal Member

Feb 19, 2004
    California
    For anybody that gets Fox Sports World, the Vancouver/New Jersey Final will be at 5pm/ET tomorrow.

11. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Cats win! Cats win! Holy cow!

12. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So, not only are Philly players not allowed to win a title in Philly, but they're not allowed to win a title after they leave. Ha!

RS, gloating for no good reason.

13. Bloodthirsty

Bloodthirsty New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Shore
    Is that another way of saying congratulations to the Whitecaps? They gave Pichon a total of one and a half chances today (granted...she still almost scored). The Whitecaps defence played well today, the midfielders got the ball played over them for the most part, and the forwards seemed to have more success as the Wildcats defenders tired.

Well deserved....they put in a lot of effort and time for no money...nice to see it pay off. :D

14. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Having spent two weeks with the Whitecaps this summer, following them for a feature for my site ... I must say I had tears in my eyes when I saw them clinch the title and celebrating -- especially since I know many of the players very well on a personal level.

A great tactical game ... with the 'Caps just getting the edge on the Wildcats. Randee Hermus was named tournament MVP for her defensive work this weekend and I must that she and the rest of the Whitecaps' defense really shut down the NJ attack. Kudos to them.

And, considering everything that the Whitecaps have gone through the last four years ... props to them for finally winning a championship and bringing it to Canada for the first time ever.

Wished I was able to make it out to Ottawa to watch these games ... but nonetheless, I'm so stoked and happy at the result.

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    :|

*curses The Curse which has bedeviled my town since 1983*

Paul

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Any chance to rub it in the face of Charge fans....I'm all for it!!!!
    :D

17. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really. After the first 30 minutes, this game was heading to PKs. Pretty poor level of play, I thought. If that's what the W-League championship looks like, I think I'll get my women's soccer fix exclusively with international play.

RS

18. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whitecaps Rule!!!!!! :d