Vote: Should TSF move to Section 309-310 of WakeMed Soccer Park?

Discussion in 'North Carolina FC' started by wjarrettc, Feb 23, 2011.

1. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TSF Members:

Last night, myself and several other leaders from the Triangle Soccer Fanatics met with RailHawks President Curt John as well as several of his staff members for over 2 hours to discuss supporters club ideas and issues for the upcoming season.

It was a refreshing and constructive meeting -- the first time in my 5 years of dealing with the RailHawks front office that they came to this type of meeting with a list of ideas of their own, rather than just waiting for us to ask for them to do things for us. I think we are definitely off on the right foot with the new management team.

One very interesting proposal that the RailHawks brought to the meeting was a proposal to move our supporters section from the current 204 section located behind the South goal, to sections 309-310, located on the East side line from about 30 yards out from goal to the end line.

The RailHawks propose to make 309-310 a designated general admission, standing, singing, shouting, drumming supporters section. These seats are currently $15 reserved seats but the RailHawks will offer them to supporters at $10 in advance or on gameday (no matchday upcharge like last year) and season tickets would be $119 (as opposed to currently costing $199 in those sections). Under the new proposal, no seats will be sold in this section unless someone specifically asks to sit in the supporters section to insure that those in the section "know what they are getting into", so to speak.

This is an interesting proposal and one I think we should consider carefully. I listed a number of the Pros and Cons we discussed with the RailHawks staff last night below. Once you've had a chance to think this over, I would appreciate your feedback on the idea in two ways:

First, vote: I have opened a poll at the TSF meetup site so you can register your opinion:
    http://events.trisoccerfan.com/polls/263991/

Secondly, share with us your thoughts on why you voted the way you did on this message board.

Here are some of the Pros and Cons we discussed last night behind this proposal:

Pros:
    * Better sight lines. With the sections extending out past the top of the penalty area, we will have a different, and arguably better view of the game.
    * Better noise projection. With the supporters sitting across from the main West stand, our songs and drums will project better towards the bulk of spectators. Currently, we project towards the open North end of the field.
    * Less foot traffic through our section. In 204, spectators must pass through our section to get from the West to the East stand. In 309-310, there should be very limited foot traffic of spectators not in the supporters section due to traffic patterns on the upper concourse above us and the path to crossover at the far extreme of the stadium.
    * More TV time. With the main cameras for streaming and live TV production positioned in the West stand, the supporters section would be more often visible on the video feeds of the games.
    * Much closer proximity to the beer garden. Beer Run!
    * Closer proximity to the Taco truck...plus you can watch the game while walking across the North end to access the Taco truck.
    * Closer proximity to restrooms.
    * No more groups or families mistakenly buying tickets in the supporters section because they were just looking for the cheap seats...those groups will be directed to the South end.
    * Less random children running through our section and begging to play our drums (as family four packs are in the South end)
    * Better positioned for call-and-response cheers (think RAIL-HAWKS) with the West stand
    * No longer a 1 half ban on throwing streamers on our own goalkeeper's goal.
    * The ability to harrass opposing players taking corner kicks is greatly increased.
    * Closer to an assistant referee to harass for making bad offside calls.
    * Closer to the storage space where we store our drums and banners between games.
    * Seats are actually closer (lower) to the field of play than 204.
    * Seats are molded plastic (no backs) rather than cold steel, of course you should only use them during halftime.
    * Closer to the PA system speakers. We might actually be able to hear in-game PA announcements!

Cons:
    * Tradition. 204 has been our home a WakeMed Soccer Park since day 1.
    * Proximity to the South goal mouth. We would no longer be directly behind the opposing keeper or our own keeper for 1 half each
    * The streamer effect. We can obviously still throw streamers from the sideline, but it isn't as humiliating to the opposing goalkeeper as throwing them directly onto his goal.
    * The early evening sun sets behind the West Stand and could be in our eyes for the first 10-20 minutes of a match depending upon kickoff time. This is not an issue in 204.
    * Less fence space to hang flags and banners as this is prime advertising real estate. The RailHawks are willing to work with us on finding a place to do this as Curt is a big proponent of the international flag display.
    * Closer to the PA System speakers. We'll be subjected to more ads and music during the game than we can normally hear in 204 with the drums going.

I'm sure there are other pros and cons that others will think of. Feel free to respond to this email or via the messageboards and don't forget to vote.

We would like to convey our support or rejection of this proposal to the RailHawks by early next week so your prompt vote is appreciated.

Jarrett Campbell
    Founder, Triangle Soccer Fanatics

2. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (speaking as a TSF "outsider")

I think TSF should move. I think they'd be in a better position to influence atmosphere and be heard. Judging from the pros list, it seems like there's a lot more benefits to moving than staying (bathrooms, concession/beer proximity, foot traffic) but then again, I don't know how tied down members are to the idea of 204.

Awesome to hear about the new F/O though.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava have done a fine job from the sideline for the last 15 years at RFK Stadium.

4. RHawksFan12

RHawksFan12 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as I can have my season tickets re-located, then no objections.

Honestly, my favorite part of this proposal is the fact that people have to specifically ask to be in the supporters/ultras/whatever you want to call it section to buy tickets to the section. That's the best idea of it all.

5. railhawksfan

railhawksfan Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Move.

Those 204 seats were not the best for watching soccer.

6. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they were cheap. Now that 309 is the same price for us, we'll have much better sightlines.

We have officially notified the FO that we would like to accept their offer and move the The Depot to 309.

I happened to be at WMSP on Friday for my son's practice. I checked out our new digs and this is going to be great. There were no lines on the field but my estimation is that 309 stretches to about 10 yards beyond the 22 yard arc.

7. RHawksFan12

RHawksFan12 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick question. The club has already printed the tickets and I've yet to be asked about relocating them. Should I call them?

8. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They should call you. Just because they printed a ticket for a seat in 204 doesn't mean they'll send that ticket to you :)

Call'em if you want.

9. RHawksFan12

RHawksFan12 New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got them moved. Didn't want to be left behind. :p

10. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, the 309 Depot has picked up a new sponsor for the 2011 season....

[​IMG]

11. treefire

treefire Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lillehammer
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was sort of surprised to see the "Hooters Depot" sign... I should have been keeping track of this thread I guess. Hope you guys had fun in the rain.

12. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So were we, frankly

13. treefire

treefire Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Lillehammer
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean to tell me that you were unaware that you would be showing your love for Hooters... oh wait, I mean the Railhawks, by cheering from behind that banner? I figured you'd be glad to have a replacement for that boring ol' TSF banner. After all, who needs to know who you guys are? Much better to be thought of as boob and wing enthusiasts than soccer fanatics, imo.

/end sarcasm.