Vote on Toronto Expansion team name

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Keenan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Considering neither of our supporters group have red in the name....

2. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ever hear of Alaska, eh?

3. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Clueless, all of you.

4. Keenan

Keenan New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Stephens City,VA
    straight from the good 'ol "metrofanatic.com"

:rolleyes:

5. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Aboot FC
    Mounties FC

6. Toronto Red

Toronto Red Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I got one.

LA Chocolate Bar

7. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of this after I voted, which is unfortunate because I thought "NorthStar Toronto" would be a great name.

Using "International" or some variant would make sense because something like half the city population is from outside the country, but I think we should be wary of too many teams adopting "euro-sounding" names. I don't even have a problem with things like Dallas FC & Real Salt Lake, but for my money names like "Chicago Fire" are best...it's all their own, it's distinctive, it comes from the city's history...it just works. I like the Revs name as well--obviously there's some bias there--but it works the same way.

Reds would work, but there's just too many teams with red unis now. Nationals is alright, I guess, but it doesn't grab me. Perhaps working "Lake" into the name somehow. "Golden Horseshoe" certainly doesn't have a nice-sounding ring to it.

Yeah, I think I just talked myself into "International" by default.

8. Of the names listed Toronto Reds is the best option IMO. Generic enough that noone will dislike it intensely for being too eurosnob sounding like Inter Toronto FC or too North American franchise gimmick sounding like the NBA's Toronto Raptors. There are plenty of teams around the world that are regularly referred to as the Reds (Liverpool, Aberdeen, Man Utd), Rojos etc etc. The idea that there are too many teams with red does not bear close inspection IMO. Red and blue tend to dominate in most leagues around the world and the problem is easily solved by having home and away kits:-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/FA_Clubs_map_home_colours.PNG

Best to stick to the colours that sell the most merchandise. MLSE have already had to move away from the Raptors original distinctive purple to a more mainstream Canadian red for that reason.

9. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I like Reds alright, but do you worry about Blue Jay fans thinking it's like Cincinnati? I think Liverpool would probably come to mind first still.

10. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Toronto Internationals.

The fans can call them Inter if they please, but the offical name should be not a blatent rip-off of another team.

11. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    Yeah, the lumberjacks is good....

"and here come the "woodies" out of the tunnel!!!"

12. Not hugely given that the Cincinnati Reds are a National league team while the Jays are in the American League (now the Montreal Expos are gone the NL gets limited coverage in Canada) and given that baseball and soccer tend to appeal to different demographics in southern Ontario. I think it's a name that people from all backgrounds could get used to very quickly and that is a major plus in a city as culturally diverse as Toronto.

13. RHMCW

RHMCW Member

Nov 14, 2004
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Detroit Bootleggers

14. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto America Juniors

15. giggshasscored

Jun 5, 2004
    Omaha
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted Toronto FC on the site, but must admit I like the sound of FC Toronto better, following in the footsteps of FC Dallas, this can become a conventional North American style name.

I also like Toronto Lynx as a name. Can anyone fill me in on what will happen to this team? Will they fold next year? I remember the commissioner of the USL saying before that while he wants the clubs to stay, the USL would do nothing to prevent a team from moving up to the MLS, so I was always curious if this team could reorg as a MLS team as opposed to start from scratch completely.

16. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    That is oONE person's thought up nickname for the TEAM. Poster I replied to specifically mentioned every person in the SUPPORTERS GROUPS.

:rolleyes:

17. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the BigSoccer FAQ when you need it?

The Lynx have nothing to do with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, the company that has secured an MLS franchise. The Lynx may play games in the new stadium constructed in part for the U20 WC to be held in Canada and for the new MLS Toronto team.

18. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so i see that Toronto FC and Toronto City are in the lead.

19. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Eh" Team.

20. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Genius!!! :D :D

21. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding! We have a winner!

22. Lemieux

Lemieux Member

Aug 19, 2000
    Baltimore Federal Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why don't we name teams after geographical features like River Plate??

How about "Rouge River FC", "Inter Ontario" or they could just call themselves the "hosers".

23. SoccerPro843

SoccerPro843 Member

Dec 3, 2004
    Austin, Tx
    Those Damn Canadians

24. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Toronto Geddy Lee's

25. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester Football Club.

Toronto's just on the other side of the lake anyway. But I think MLS is, frankly, going way too deep into the suburbs, the stadium should be in the center of Rochester.