Vote for New Forum Subtitle

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Heeligan2, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Please vote by posting in this thread with your first and second choices. The subtitle is a single line to follow the heading "Carolina Courage" for our forum. Voting will remain open until next Thursday morning.

1. WUSA Champion Blue Lions
    2. Blue Lions, the Pride of the WUSA
    3. The Pride of the WUSA
    4. 2002 WUSA Double Winners
    5. Blue Lions - 2002 Double Winners
    6. 2002 Double Winners

2. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Thanks for starting this thread Heeligan2. IMO this is a much better idea than just having an anonymous poll. Here is my favorite from your list of choices:

2002 Double Winners

My second choice is:

WUSA Champion Blue Lions

3. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    my votes

I like Blue Lions :) so I'm going with:

First choice:
    Blue Lions - 2002 Double Winners

Second choice:
    WUSA Champion Blue Lions

4. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    First Choice WUSA Champion Blue Lions

Second Choice Blue Lions, the Pride of the WUSA

5. canesfan

canesfan New Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    my choices:

1. Blue Lions - 2002 Double Winners
    2. WUSA Champion Blue Lions

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anything without "Blue Lions" in it. The team we support is the Carolina Courage. I would prefer to honor them.

7. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    My votes:

1. Blue Lions - 2002 Double Winners
    2. WUSA Champion Blue Lions

8. Number1MacFan02

Number1MacFan02 New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    The Big D!
    1. Blue Lions- 2002 Double Winners
    2. Blue Lions, Pride of the WUSA

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You're not a Courage/Blue Lions fans, are you?

10. Number1MacFan02

Number1MacFan02 New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    The Big D!
    they're not my favorite team, but i love danielle slaton & TR

11. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Welcome to our forum MacFan!

12. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    we did not get many votes. Andy hates "Blue Lions" as any part of the title. A few of us love Blue Lions as part of the title. So it seems we are down to

Carolina Courage
    Blue Lions - 2002 Double Winners

Or

Carolina Courage
    2002 Double Winners

What's a moderator to do?

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Why have many adopted the "Blue Lions" name instead of just using "Courage" which IS your team name?

14. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Courage is the official team name, and it's fine, but I truly like 'Blue Lions' better, and so do a number of people who I've asked about it. (with few exceptions)

The offical name IS in the forum header. We're fans. We can call the team what we want. I see no problem with putting an unoffical nickname, which several people like, in the subheader. A team needn't be limited to the official team name.

I like the name 'Courage' but I am very much opposed to the concept of singular concept team names which the league forced down everybody's throats, resulting in a league with some of the stupidest names in the world of sports. Maybe they didn't call any teams the 'Wiz' or the 'Burn', but they did call teams the 'Beat', the 'Charge' and the 'Spirit', and they considered calling a team the 'Rock'.

"Courage" is the best of a rather silly group of names, and one of about only 5 singular concepts in the entire universe that I don't think makes a stupid team name.

Think of it as a little bit of rebelliousness against the tyranny of official team names. Fans making up their own names is an established tradition in sports. Some of the most popular official team names were originally created by the fans and later adopted by the team.

So why did the team change it's official name from the "Tempest"? I wonder if it had anything to do with the ridicule that the logo recieved on BigSoccer. (That was pretty brutal) Your avatar does look familiar, Fear. :D

15. Andyrey

Andyrey New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Raleigh NC
    I kind of like the current subtitle "WUSA Champions Blue Lions" It says it all.

16. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    What XYZ said, totally.

17. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Double Champions

I also really like what XYZ wrote about using the nickname Blue Lions.

Since the Courage were both WUSA League Champions and Founders Cup Champions, how about a combination of these two choices?

Blue Lions - 2002 Double Champions

Since this Forum subheading will be under WUSA:Team Forums, I don't think it is necessary to also include WUSA again.

18. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    cool!!!
    unless we want to go for :
    Carolina Courage
    2002 Double Winners -- WUSA Champion Blue Lions

(I think it is ok to have a really long subtitle)

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think XYZ's post is a bunch of self important blathering, but then, probably most of my posts are too. The main problem I have with these uses of "Blue Lions" is that the "Blue Lions" didn't win anything. The Carolina Courage are the WUSA Champions.

Hey, I know I'm in the distinct minority, and possibly a minority of one. If it's a vote, my choice loses fair and square.

That said, I think the attachment some of you make with "Blue Lions" is, frankly, a bit creepy. Which is another reason I'm against if.

If I start hearing "Blue Lions" cheers, and seeing "Blue Lions" chants at the games, then I'll change my tune.

I didn't "vote" for Kansas Jayhawks, Kansas City Royals, Kansas City Wizards, Carolina Hurricanes, Durham Bulls, or Carolina Courage. I don't like all of the nicknames, but 1) the nicknames weren't my choice, and 2) I don't follow the teams any less because of it.

Go Courage!

20. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    How about
    2002 Double Champion Blue Lions

21. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Ooops. Am I too late?

Is it too late to vote? I've been preoccupied with other things since the season ended.

What about the one that Heeligan2 just suggested? "2002 Double Champion Blue Lions." That's pretty good. I'd vote for that. I also like TritonSpirit's suggestion, "Blue Lions -2002 Double Champions."

Otherwise, the current subhead, "WUSA Champion Blue Lions," or some variation that uses our alternate nickname, the Blue Lions, and the fact that we are indeed the League champs.

Off topic a little, I was at a Special Olympics soccer match-up earlier today between the Orange County Courage (yes!) and the Wake County Wolverines that was being refereed by Danielle Slaton. Another match being played on an adjoining field was being reffed by Venus James. We all got soaking wet and I'm sorry to report that the Courage lost. (Since their jerseys are a gaudy purple, they can't very well go by the Blue Lions.)

22. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    OK, we are the 2002 Double Champion Blue Lions for now.