Visiting Barcelona

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by KingHenryXIV, Oct 31, 2004.

1. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    I am visiting Barcelona this winter and going to see the Barça game on December 22 against Levante (I think). I just wanted to create a thread where people who have been to Barcelona before could share their experiences both going to games and hanging out in the city.

Maybe I could pick up something new and cool to do. Anybody been skiing in the Pyrenees?

2. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Be aware, but I wouldn't stress over it. Pickpockets prey on older tourists who aren't paying attention to their surroundings.

I was just in Barcelona earlier this month. It's hard not to love the city.

If you can, go to Camp Nou on a weekday and go to the museum and the store. If you get up early enough you might see the squad train. Pick up tickets before matchday too and you'll save yourself the headache of getting tickets right before kickoff.

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. It's just important, as it would be in any major city, to be aware. European cities are different than American cities(duh). You're more likely to be pickpocketed, but much less likely to be held up or shot. Be aware and you'll be fine.

5. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    hey man, i was there in january '95 and hit the bars when madrid kicked the shyte out of barcelona at the bernabeu...

i fell in love with barcelona and i regret every day not ripping up my return ticket home and staying...

everything was amazing...the women, the nightlife, the food, the drinking, the parties...

i'm getting depressed...i think i'll go now. have fun, ya son--of-a-beyotch

6. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    has anyone flew into girona airport? I am considering using RyanAir as I am a poor college student and it might make sense. However, I might loose any savings trying to get into town.

right now, i think i am going to book the first night hostel only. I think Barri Gotic would be better, or should I stay closer to Las Ramblas?

anyone know of any good guides? I have frommer's spain, thinking about Le Cool and Rick Steve's.

i'm also going to sevilla, granada, madrid, london (to see Arsenal) and possibly salamanca or toledo. how about some reccomendations? buy train tickets there or a railpass now?

thanks greedy for the link and thanks everyone for some help

7. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Really nice

8. njonkers

njonkers New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Cape Town,SA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interesting buildings in Granada which the Moors build.
    Mosques and so forth.

Enjoy the Camp Nou tour!

9. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    i have to go to granada and cordoba as well because my sister is a middle eastern studies student. she is in cairo right now, and i am going to meet her in barcelona and do this trip on the way back to the states. i can't wait for the culture shock of Arkansas v. Spain

10. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    King:

You'd be depriving yourself vital eating and drinking time if you fly into Girona. Pay the extra $ and fly into BCN. It'll probably even out anyway with train fare from Girona. Actually, I think Easyjet flys into BCN from London. Check it out.

Definitely book ahead. Barri Gotíc has tons of options and is real close to Las Ramblas. Get the Timeout Barcelona guide. Even when I had been living there a while, that book still came in handy. The Lonely Planet Spain guide is pretty good for the rest of the country.

11. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    King you're really lucky, I was in Barcelona 2 years ago.

Brilliant city, I wish I was there for this months 'El Derby'.

12. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've stayed at hostels on Las Ramblas. It's a busy street so there are a ton of hostels around but a lot go quick. Of course the only times I've been were during the summer so I don't think you should have as big of a problem finding one. The night life is fun as there are a lot of clubs and lots of people going out. Barrio Gotic has some clubs as does Port de Olimpico. As for touristy stuff, I'd definitely recommend going to La Sagrada Familia. Gaudi had one helluva vision. They're still finishing it up so you can tell which parts are new and which are old. It's definitely worth checking out though. There's also Parc Guell which is more Gaudi architecture. When you get up top you can get a beautiful view of Barcelona.

As for pick pockets as chrisc mentioned, I personally haven't experienced any of that but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen of course. I experienced it more south like in Madrid and other cities. Either way of course you should be careful. Also, don't get discouraged if you experience some terrible customer service. I don't know about anyone else but I've had some problems with waiters and stuff. Plus it seems like everyone stares at you. I'm Asian so I don't know if it has anything to do with that as I heard that some Spaniards aren't too fond of them. But definitely make an effort to try and speak Spanish. Even if you care barely put out a sentence, they definitely appreciate the effort.

And definitely check out Las Ramblas if you wanna find some cheap soccer jerseys. There are a lot of fakes but they also do sell official replicas. Best part is that these guys speak English and you can bargain with them. If you don't like the price, walk out and I guarantee they'll be calling you back. If not, go to the next store as it seems all the people who work there are a family or something. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

13. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I didn't have any problems in Barcelona, it was a great experience. I got drunk and locked out of my hostel and my friend had gone back to his host parents apt, and I got lost trying to find a place to sleep. FInally, I got tired and fell asleep on a park bench. Really smart huh? I would never buy anything on Las Ramblas from those guys selling cameras and terribly fake replica jerseys. That has scam written all over it. My friend got into a tussle in a metro station but he took care of it pretty quick. The guy jumped down on the tracks and grabbed a rock and tried to hit him with it but proceeded to get punched a couple of times and he ran off(the other guy). Definitey take some time to visit Camp Nou museum and definitely go to a bar called Llovella Negra(sp) and have some Sangria

14. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Barca is awesome. I lived there last summer and it was great. A lot of cool bars and pubs are in the olympic village area. there is a place by the zoo, called the Republic house, its a little pub owned by two english guys. nice place to haave a beer and watch football in english.

15. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    update: i can't make it to the levante game is it would be too expensive. i am going to make it to an arsenal game on boxing day against fulham. i've talked to some people who've been and i just want to confirm two things: the camp nou tour is expensive (50 Euros?) and the bus tours of barcelona are good.

I am going to visit in order: London, Barcelona, Granada, Sevilla, Arcos de la Frontera (small andalusian town found in rick steve's guidebooks), cordoba (a couple hours), madrid, toledo and segovia.

i also found airfare from Little Rock, AR to Gatwick and from Madrid-Little Rock for $600. Its the rip off of the century. If you ever travel, google search for airline consolidators. I got my ticket through airfare.com. (not an advertisement)

16. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    King:

There's the Camp Nou museum, which has to be under 10 euros admission. As for the guided tour that goes all over the ground, it could be expensive, but I doubt that it is 50 euros. The Bus Turistic is probably good, especially if you have limited time there. I've never taken it though myself. Looks pretty convenient as there are many stops around the city & you just get on and off wherever/whenever. It does go to Camp Nou also.

Oh yeah, if you go to Segovia on the weekend make sure you make reservations ahead of time. My wife and I found out the hard way. It's a little removed (from the main hwy) with not much around it. We ended up back in Madrid on a Saturday night w/no reservations. Not fun either. One night in 13 that we decided to wing it and it was a nightmare. :mad:

17. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    muchas gracias.