Vision

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Apr 11, 2003.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How can I learn to keep my head up while playing soccer games. I especially need to work on seeing everything I just don't see enough, I am able to do stuff with my head up but in the game i just don't. I don't know...especially in the situation where u are running from the center towards your winger to show for the ball, how can people know what is behind them?

2. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    Pretty much the only solution is to play every day. This will eventually get you experienced enough to have vision (my opinion is that if you're not born with vision, only experience will bring it to you). Good vision tends to go away especially when you're nervous and play against a stronger opponent. If that ever happens, try to think clearly and calm yourself down and tell yourself that you're gonna play your own game and noone can stop you. And when you have easier games or practice use them to try to look up and around as much as you can and always think about your options.

3. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    why are you keeping your head down in the first place? Perhaps your dribbling is not as good as it should be. Perhaps it's your passing, or your trapping. Practice and improve these skills so that you don't need to look down at the ball to do them.

4. 2ManyHeaders

2ManyHeaders Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Chicago
    I dribble around trees. Sounds silly, but it works for me. I keep my head up pick out my target or my next tree while I'm dribbling. It's no so much the tree in front of me, that's easy (unless there's a low branch), but more about the next tree and the tree after that.

If that doens't work, driblle and pick out landmarks that are far away. Look from a parked car to a tree to a sign or something.

5. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    I think confidence is the largest factor in vision, if you dont have the confidence to look up with the ball, then you wont. Work on improving your skill so you have the confidence to look up in the game...

6. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    How can you trap a ball without looking at it? ForzaGrifo what do you think I should do to keep my head up while practicing skills. Are you supposed to be able to juggle head up? I can dribble head up, but I never get a chance to dribble in games really, it's just trap, pass, run to space.

I think I will just try to be more aware of this problem in practise and try to get some 3 v 3's going with my friends so i can work on it.

7. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    You do look at the ball when you trap it, but only for a split second at the moment of trapping it. Try not to tilt your head down - doing so will inhibit your vision drastically. Once you get the hang of it, you won't even have to always look down at the ball when trapping - you can just sense the ball's coming to you, knowing the speed of the ball and its trajectory.

A good way of practicing traps is to bounce the ball off a wall and trap it. Practice all kinds of traps - chest, side of foot, wedge, outside of foot, etc.

Also you must be able to sense you're immediate surrounding area BEFORE the ball is trapped, because if there is an opponent nearby, you may want to wedge your trap to keep the ball away from him. Remember a good player knows the positions of all his opponents at all times.

8. nopheer

nopheer New Member

May 4, 2002
    Swindon, UK
    75% of superb vision passes are seen before the player (who makes the pass) gets the ball! It helps to have an idea of what you wanna do before you get the ball. Just keep looking around the pitch to see where everyone is when you don't have the ball (even when the opposition have it), so when you get it, you have a rough idea of what runs should be being made. Hence giving you more time to control the ball and pass it. I have my head down a lot because i know where everyone is, so i don't need to look up.. this helps because I am not giving the defender any clues of where i'm gonna pass it.

9. Fever

Fever New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Canada
    i thuink that you should just pratice dribling to perfection then you can keep your head up at all times then you will be able to look up at ALL times and wont have to worry babout peeps sneaking up on you. i always keep my head up now but im a center mid so i have to b aware at all times. someone sneaks up on me then i shouldnt b playing center mid.

10. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Haha I play center mid.
    Oh well, I've realized that that was pretty much just one bad game that pissed me off a lot. There is only one play where I screw up pretty much every time: Your team gets a throw in at around center or maybe a bit in the offensive zone. You show, but then they cover the forward and all you can do is either try to turn and obviously be checked or just boot it down the line. I was just playing really bad that day and it was my first game in awhile so I thought I was just really crappy (which I am but not THAT crappy). I have now decided if that happens I will not get jumpy or afraid because I have realized there is no way to get the ball without fouling me. So I will just play it to my feet then curve it into the other wing or make a give and go with someone.
    When no one is calling it makes you seem to yourself like you have no vision.

11. Fever

Fever New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Canada
    I take the throw ins on my team because i can throw it 3/4 across the field and if im at half i can throw it into the 18 yard box. throwing the ball has nothing to do with how strong you are(it would help)it has alot to do with technique.if you dont have the technique you might as well let someone else throw it

12. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I was not talking about doing the throw in I was talking about receiving it, sorry I may not have been that clear. Just basically any short pass from the wing moving towards the center is the weakest part of my game in center mid (and it's because I am used to playing outside mid but I am forced to play center mid because of the team that I am on).

13. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida
    a good exercise that my hs team did was this... along with dribbling without seeing the ball it kinda teaches coordination i guess...

our couch would blindfold us (sound fun so far?). we would have to start out dribbling in a straight line, and then give us directions on which way to go. for example, "Cut right" or "Pull back" etc., or he would tell us from which way a defender was coming on and we had to think which way to go. sounds hard and kinda awkward but it works. and a little tip, only try this with one person blindfolded at a time.... injuries can be prevented that way.

14. Anarchist

Anarchist New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Stuart, Florida

I throw in for my team to... i can throw about that far. a good and crowd-pleasing method is to front-handspring over the ball, getting your momentum going, and just flipping as far as possible. so far i have about 4 assists from within 40 yards of the goal