Virginia 2020

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Val1, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I scored another interview with Steve Swanson for HoosPlace.

Anyone got any questions they'd want to be able to ask a head coach? We talked for well over an hour last time out, so I'm sure I'll have time to cover lots of topics.

2. SuperHyperVenom

Jan 7, 2019
    @Val1 Where does he see college soccer going since university budgets have been hurt by COVID? Is it still the best place for elite players after high school or should they look to the European or Asian leagues and go pro?

Val1 repped this.
  3. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Here's my interview with Steve Swanson. Always a good time. https://hoosplace.com/podcast/hoocast-12-return-of-the-coach/

@SuperHyperVenom I asked Steve this at the end of the interview. He didn't really answer since he's a collge coach, but he allowed that elite talent is probably going to start heading to the pros earlier, but that the product in college is still good since they are, pandemics excepted, getting training all spring.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Virginia's spring season starts tomorrow with the Cavaliers hosting George Mason.

The rest of the slate:

@ VCU on March 6th.
    @ Old Dominion on March 14th.
    @ West Virginia on April 3rd.
    Hosting West Virginia on April 10th.

Somewhere along the line, an announced game vs the Courage (NWSL) has been dropped. The two home games have been picked up by the ACC network so I will get to see the first one. I will be in attendance at the home West Virginia game.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My preview, such as it is: https://hoosplace.com/2021/02/27/wsoccer/4902/

Tl;Dr: Taryn Torres has returned for the spring, despite being drafted by the Sky Blue in the 3rd round. That's huge because we're just not the same without her and Sydney Zandi in midfield.

6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The log jam is beginning to form for next season as both Anna Sumpter and Laurel Ivory have declared that they will be attending the University in the fall. This was already Anna's fifth year on Grounds, so she'll have had quite the stay at Virginia.

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HoosPlace writeup on the Virginia v George Mason game: https://hoosplace.com/2021/02/28/wsoccer/4916/

William and Mary came to Charlottesville fresh off a 2 – 0 loss to Georgetown and on the heels of an eminently forgettable 2019 season. Virginia was always going to win this game; the question was by how much. It turns out that the answer was by relatively little. The Tribe completely parked the bus, often conceding 2/3 of the field and the Cavaliers really struggled to put decent shots on goal.

The game was played on a dreary afternoon on a sodden pitch and the quality of the game itself was reflected in these conditions. While we were all happy to see the return of women’s soccer and the pursuit of the national championship, this was largely a boring game to watch. Parking the bus, e.g. defending in extreme depth, and then trying to score on the counter is an age-old soccer tactic when a completely outclassed opponent is trying to hang with the better team. Except in this case, W&M completely forgot to counter. It was that kind of game....

Adventures in officiating. This goal, in the 15th minute, was ruled offside. Hard to tell from this line, but man, that ball looked like it was ahead of Spaanstra.

Then there was this no-call of a back pass violation. This was in the 74th minute when Virginia was still level with GM.

And the goals:

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    So did UVa play George Mason or William & Mary? Hoosplace seems to think it was W&M, but I think the opponent was George Mason, yes?

In any case, Spaanstra looks offside to me, and no idea why the ref didn't call the illegal back-pass. Didn't see it? Odd.

Val1 repped this.
  9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Holy ********, that was embarrassing. I write that column, so it's all on me. I went back and checked my notes and at half time I started referencing W&M and the Tribe. I have no idea where that came from, except that GMU really was forgettable.

Thanks for saving me from further embarrassment.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    the first was clearly an offside violation and number 7’s body language says she knew it.

the back pass is only a violation if the defender was uncontested and the last person to touch the ball. In the case where both players touched it, it can’t be called a deliberate pass. It looks like the ref is signaling a touch or deflection. Any doubt always goes to the defence. I’ve seen a lot worse not called.

Number007 repped this.
  11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uncontested? Hmm. I've never heard that being an exception. I posted this in the refs forum. Lots seemed to think that a Virginia player must have touched it, but no one said it's not called because the play was uncontested.

I've looked at the offsides several times today. The ball and the #7 are each almost exactly on the top of the penalty box at the time of the pass. If the linesman is right there, fine. She's got a better view than I. So it might be offside. But to claim that 7s body language confirms the correctness of the call, well, no it doesn't. Spaanstra's not that demonstrative. She'd look about the same as if she'd missed that opportunity.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #137 Cliveworshipper, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021

Yeah, the back pass rule ( which has nothing to do with the direction of the pass) is a time wasting rule. And has undergone modification. Actions taken that aren’t time wasting are regularly not considered an offense. Ifab tried to clarify that in 2019-2020. There is a website called ask a referee, which expounds at length on the rule.
    http://www.askasoccerreferee.com/category/pass-back-rule/

the second answer that pops up ( August 19, 2020) includes this sentence about a direct pass to the keeper., which is what I was referring to by “uncontested”

So if the ball it touched OR PLAYED , by an opponent, there is no time wasting and no violation.

And that is in addition to the old standard that the pass had to be deliberate ( not a deflection or attempt to keep the ball from an opponent.)

iA “play “ doesn’t have to be a touch, though it often is. And again, in the back pass rule the benefit of doubt is always given as a practical matter.

this goes beyond the older concept that the play has to be deliberate pass, which was explained to me by asking the question “ can that player with that skill set regularly repeat that pass intentionally.?”

And in a latest interpretation also discussed on the link is a 2019-2020 ruling that says that the keeper can pick the ball up if the keeper made a legitimate attempt to play the ball without the hands first. ( august 6, 2020)

In the video I see, the keeper does use the feet first, but whether that constitute a play that meets the scenario the board outlines is for a referee class.

And again, it’s a time wasting rule. If there is no time wasting you probably won’t get the call.

as to the offside, I have no stake in the ruling, but it looks ahead of the ball , second to last opponent, and the passer at the time of release. The assistant referee would be in the best position to know. I suggest that neither I nor a ref could be expected to know the reserved demeanor of the player. Most players that perceive a wrong call show it. I don’t see anyone contesting the call.

13. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    The non-offsides call should have been offsides. Having some horizontal lines crossing the field allows one to see that Spaanstra was a good 1.5 to 2 yards offsides.
    I can't explain the lack of complaining from the other team.

14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Virginia's game with Old Dominion, originally scheduled for Sunday the 14th, has been cancelled. So Virginia picked up a game with James Madison for Thursday the 18th. Which is good since it gives us another tuneup prior to our home and home series with West Virginia to conclude the spring portion of the season.

cpthomas repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  16. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Its a team game and it all comes down to how the team uses a player. I have no clue how people differentiate between player 1 and 20. I certainly cant. How do you compare a holding mid to a winger? Or a GK to a #10?

17. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Not one clue, but it's still fun to look at!

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    What would be interesting would be to Compare this Freshman top 100 list and compare to the final 2020 IMG recruit list.
    007 may can find it, but I can't find anything before 2021.

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I dont understand why freshmen are singled out. All the women are playing the same game now. Makes no sense to me. What do you mean by the "final IMG 2020 recruit list" ?

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    On top drawer soccer they have rankings for recruits. The list or by year and are called the IMG Academy top 150. You can go on TDS now and see list for 2021 2223 and 24. What you can’t see, or at least I can’t, is past class rankings. My point was I would like to have seen their final 2020 list and compare it to their top 100 freshman this year.

Number007 repped this.
  21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Virginia got shafted in terms of not getting a national seed IMO!
    There are not 16 teams better than UVA.
    I personally don't think there are 6 teams better.
    Now to the good news.
    UVA plays someone in the 1st round SIUE.
    Assuming that win, they get BYU a 12 seed.
    If seedings hold they would have a 5 seed WVU and then a 4 seed TCU.
    Easy bracket IMO. Good luck Hoos! Here's to hopefully getting a rematch in the semis of the CC.

22. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    BYU will beat UVA by 4 goals. Provide actual results that support any of your take?

23. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I agree. I think BYU beats UVA if for no other reason than UVA always lays an egg in the NCAA tourney.

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Really? 4-0.
    If you had said, you think BYU would win, I would say 'You might be right'.
    BYU lost twice to a good USC side.
    They lost to UCLA. All of those losses were fairly even by stats.
    Their worst result was a 1-1 tie to St. Marys.
    UVA lost to overall #1 FSU, #2 UNC #14 Clemson (their worst loss) and #5 WVU.
    They tied Duke in a game they dominated 16-3 shots advantage.
    BYU didn't have any top 25 wins either. We'll see. I think it would be a good game, certainly not 4-0 IMO!
    Hey, my wife is a BYU alum, so I have no problem with them winning.
    We'll see!

25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The problem with the way we look at the game is its all about matchups. UVA could lose to any of the teams they play and still be the 6th 'best" team. Soccer is not a game that lends itself to extrapolating results. Its not easy to score, but you can score easily thru chance.

If you add the overemphasis on the NCAAs, a single elimination, one off event that is clearly impacted by subjective seeding, you have a recipe for wild takes. In a world where wait and see gets no "clicks", soccer is in a rough spot.

The results will be what they are, but the conclusions people draw from them, will often be a little exaggerated, especially in a year like this. Publicity is also a huge influence on perception in a sport where objective information is sorely lacking.

Been a difficult time for many, hope all the kids enjoy it and come out the other end healthy

socalsoccer23 repped this.