Viola Expectations 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Fiorentina' started by NickyViola, Sep 12, 2011.

1. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Just wondering how everyone else (including non-Viola supporters, if such an animal even exists...) sees us doing this season.

Looking around at the rest of the league I really think we have a chance to finish very high up the table, especially if we are able to take advantage of a pretty easy start and gain some confidence.

I really think that we have one of the best, and deepest, rosters in the league and it's just a matter of whether, or not, Sinisa can coach.

Assuming he can, I expect to reach the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia and finish top 4 (yup) in the league.

What do you think?

2. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having seen how most teams started the league, and while we failed to make any marquee signings, we did a much better job bringing in depth than I expected, I think top 4 isn't out of the question though I'd be happy with EL qualification.

I have two main issues, the coach and the CBs (Gamberini already had to be subbed out with muscle issues). We seem to have more goal scoring depth than we have in a while instead of having to rely on Gilardino, and I think that is huge.

Top 4 is going to require Gila and Vargas to really step it up, but besides that I think we are one of the most well rounded teams in the league.

3. Payback

Payback Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Switzerland
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    In the 2011 Viola Transfer & Rumors thread i said 4th place is possible, i'm "optimista"
    Now i think 4th place is a must-do.
    I was a bit dissatisfied because we dont have a real playmaker for a 4-3-1-2.
    But now when i see the offensive power of the 4-3-3, i dont worry.

With a perfect season:
    -Gila scores 25+ goals
    -Jovetic becomes a superstar of serie A
    -Cerci can hold his superior form....(he's 100% Viola now, after the debate with the fans)
    - No question about the quality of our defense.
    - Montolivo fights this year for the club and for his future.
    - Vargas brings his performance when we need him.
    - About the role of "El Tanque" im not shure but i expect important goals from him.

We need the points of the "easy start", beat the top clubs in the first encounters, and rush at the end of the season, when the top clubs becomes tired.

Scudettooooooo
    I'm "optimista";)

4. wolfpackallday

Aug 20, 2009
    Sacramento
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note however that a 4th place finish will still land us in the Europa League because germany now has the 4th Champions league spot that we had the past years. I feel good about this season because Sundays game was the textbook example of a game that we should win but would find a way to lose the past two years. We were able to pick up the win and keep a clean sheet in a game that we would have had a high chance of losing last year. So I'm "optimista' too :)

5. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Honestly, the only Serie A team that I "know" will finish ahead of us is AC Milan.

Not sold on Conte at Juve yet but they have a lot of talent. Assuming he can be an instant success (no sure thing at all) they will probably finish ahed of us.

Inter Milan is, of course, more talented than us but it all depends on how much of a cushion we can get over them before they bring in a competent manager.

I think it'll be a really fun season.

6. CRSvideo

CRSvideo Member

Jul 24, 1999
    New York, NY
    It's good to see the optimism here. And though a fan and follower of the team I have to say my knowlege of what's happening with it is below most everyone else on these boards (heck, these boards are the primary source of my info on the team). The fact that people who know more than I do are feeling optimistic is good, but I can't say I share that optimism. Just really not sold on Sinisa (but I never really liked him, even as a player). Really hope I'm proved wrong. Also with the players who were looking to leave this past summer, I really don't know how this team would respond to a setback. We got off to a nice start with the win over Bologna, but then they really aren't a good team.

My expectations are lower than all of yours, but I'm hoping you guys are right.

Payback - is Cerci 100% for the team now? Is all the bad blood between him and the fans resolved now? He's obviously with the team but don't know of he's happy here.

7. Maarek

Maarek Member

May 10, 2009
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    I understood that he is 100% ours and all bad things with fans left behind.
    He was one of the best players against Bologna and seems to me that he currently really enjoys his position in team.

Regarding expectations this season. We were good against Bologna but this team will definately has relegation fight this season.
    Coming games against Udinese, Napoli and Lazio will probably show better picture about our chances this season.

8. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'm not sold on Conte but even if he's mediocre I'm afraid Juve will be good this year. For this first time in a long time they went all out in the transfer market, that team has a scary amount of firepower now. Unless Conte goes all Rafa Benitez and makes the team implode they will be scary?

Fighting relegation, really? I don't think we should get our hopes up too much but unless we suffer another massive injury crisis (in which case it will at least force the club to do something about their training/medical staff), anything below the top half of the table should be unacceptable. There's a lot of bad teams out there.

9. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I think he meant that Bologna will be fighting relegation and so we can't really judge us til we play a better side.

And I agree with that.

At this point I am only judging us based on our roster which looks very strong.

10. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well what I love about this roster is how much more flexibility it has had than in years. We have a couple of issues (No real DM, only one CB in his prime while the rest are either very young or past it, Montolivo's baggage) but there's quality all around to the point where players will have to fight for the spot.

11. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been insanely busy these last months, so my specific knowledge is really lacking. But....I am feeling the optimism. Let's be honest - LOTS of teams would like to have Jovetic, Vargas, and Gilardino all in their squad. Then add in some of the really solid pickups we made over the summer - I'd have to say that I'm really surprised about how much we added and how little we subtracted.

And Jovetic is back, did I mention how fantastic that is? OK, yeah.

One more thing that makes me smile - Montolivo was pretty much unsellable. He needs to earn his perceived value based on more than 2-3 matches per year.

12. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    2011-2012 Corners Won

1. Juventus (31)
    2. Fiorentina (26)
    3. Roma (23)

13. Payback

Payback Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Switzerland
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Roma 3th?
    this must be an error.

14. Payback

Payback Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Switzerland
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Scudetto 2011 with all the ex Viola:rolleyes:

Portieri
    : Frey, Boruc, Neto.
    Terzini destri: Maggio, Cassani.
    Centrali difensivi: Gamberini, Ujfalusi, Dainelli, Camporese, Nastasic.
    Terzini sinistri: Balzaretti, Pasqual.
    Centrocampisti centrali: Montolivo, Kuzmanovic, Brocchi, Lazzari.
    Centrocampisti di fascia: Berhami, Cerci, Vargas, Santana.
    Attaccanti: Gilardino, Jovetic, Pazzini, Osvaldo, Ljajic.

15. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think the Viola will surprise a few people this season and maybe reach a Europa Birth, That was a tough home loss to Lazio last week but that happens

16. Payback

Payback Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Switzerland
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    We are only 2-4 points behind the midfield clubs. If we win next week game 18. vs. Atalanta, the winter break can coming and Delio Rossi will have time to work deeper with the team.

It's almost impossible to play a poorer second half of the season then the first one.

17. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Fortunately for us we start 2012 with a Coppa Italia match away to Roma. Tidings for a very good year (before it all ends in December 2012).

18. Payback

Payback Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Switzerland
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    what can we expect now?

i want see fiorentina vs betis (good friends club) next year in the uefa cup.

Delio and the youngsters are doing well.
    Team spirit is great.
    Amauri is very motivated, question of time..

19. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    We'll just pip Lazio for 5th.

20. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This team seems to have moments where they are completely stagnant. Any given week they come out and play like a relegation-worthy team. Very disheartening.

21. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my money is on 10th

22. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Disheartening, yes, but also confusing. It seems to speak to a lack of leadership somehow, maybe....I'm just not sure.

I'm willing to give Rossi time though - I think a coach needs an off-season/pre-season to really make his mark.

23. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    I like Rossi and agree that he needs a summer with the squad. I definitely think that our team is not nearly equal to the some of its parts. We have the same need we have had for years, I think. A creative central midfielder.

24. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what happened to kharja?

25. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Instead we have an idiot central midfielder with a penchant for the shot from distance.