Vincent Kompany named Captain officially...

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by deadendnights, Sep 9, 2011.

1. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a move everyone saw coming Vincent Kompany is now the official Captain of Manchester City.

MCFC Website Story

Vincent Kompany will celebrate his 100th Premier League appearance for City by taking permanent command of the captain’s armband.

Though the Belgian defender has skippered the Blues for the first three games of the campaign, last season’s captain Carlos Tevez is yet to start in the same team.

Kompany, who joined City from Hamburg in 2008, recently said: “I never see wearing the captain’s armband as defining whether you are a leader or not.

“It makes it official, but I’ve always been someone who has thrived under pressure and the more pressure I feel, the better I perform. I enjoy responsibility.”

With the possibility that Tevez will appear in the starting XI against Wigan Athletic today, boss Roberto Mancini has confirmed that it will be Kompany who will wear the armband this season.

“The captain is Vincent Kompany,” said Mancini. “The reason is simple; in the summer Carlos wanted to leave the club for family reasons. I respected his opinion and agreed that he could leave the club.

“Now, Carlos is here and he is a fantastic player for us because he can score 20 goals in a season. But I decided in the summer that Vincent is the captain. Carlos has accepted that.”

Kompany has played 131 times in all competitions for City to date, scoring three goals.

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thank God.

3. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A year overdue, but great news.

4. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kaptain Kompany... well done. played like a beast today.

5. MajesticTosin

MajesticTosin New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    United will still win the title

6. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal doing their part in helping them get there.

7. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much for Wilshire?