Villa's Future In NY?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Onionrings, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revolt and Egbert Sousé repped this.
  2. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expanded World Cup. ****, that's dumb.

3. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you kind of answered your own question.

No doubt a team from China can make an offer that would more than likely blow everyone out of the water, but does he want to uproot his family and move there? Same could be said for Russia, and given the political situation, I doubt he goes to Turkey.

Spain and the England are in play, but as you mentioned, are any of the elite teams interested? Does he want to go back and play for a mid table club in the EPL or La Liga?

I'm pretty sure re-upping with NYCFC is a formality.

Onionrings repped this.
  4. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the same amount of groups, and knockout stages. No play in nonsense, just one extra group game, maybe two. tops.

Boloni86 repped this.
  5. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Villa is going anywhere he's publicly stated that he and his family love living in NYC. He should get another 2 year deal and hopefully he can help bring Iniesta over to take one of the two DP slots that is going to be open at the end of the season.

Unak78 and Onionrings repped this.
  6. Carlosamigos

Carlosamigos Member

May 21, 2016
    Belfast
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Good points. Wasn't there an article doing the rounds that he was trying to get Iniesta to consider a move across? If thats true he's hardly going to talk him into that then shoot off himself.

7. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think Atletico would have him back (or a team like Atletico, financially a junior partner of the big clubs), but he'd be a 15-minute player there, but he's on too much money for that, and anyway probably prefers to be 'the man.'

Groups have to have an even number of teams so all can play at the same time on the last match day.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if you went with 48 teams (8 6-team groups) it would mean another week to get through the first round. 5 games instead of 3. If you still keep only the top 2 going into the round of 16, that means more meaningless games in the last week. We can live with a couple of 0-2 teams playing each other in the last round, but if half the group is out of contention with 2 games to go, that's not good...

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does he have to uproot his family to play a few years there? They already have their green cards and if he played 1,2 or 3 seasons elsewhere before retiring for the astronomical money they may offer, how much would he and his family really lose? If anything depebdinyon what clubs will offer, he potentially has more to gain than if he were to stay.

10. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa has small children and it's my understanding they're the reason he cut last years stint in Australia short and came back to NYC earlier than expected. He's not going to leave them behind 1, 2, or 3 years if China comes into play. So yes, I'd have to say the possibility of uprooting his family is a consideration.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #11 falvo, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    I still believe its exaggerated especially for the amount of money he could make. My mother along with her two sisters stayed behind in Europe and were separated by her mother and two brothers who had immigrated to NY and they didn't have a dime. It took them all two years to get everyone back together and no one was traumatically scarred. Therefore, I don't see how or why Villa wouldn't make the sacrifice for what could be a contract worth millions upon millions. They will all definitely benefit in the long run and he will not land a huge contract in 5 years time so the time to take advantage of what he can earn is now. Depending on what he ends up getting, I'm sure his family can make a sacrifice for a year or two. That is if he still has viable offers on the table.

12. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I really hope David Sanchez sticks around for a few more years here. He has been really good for MLS.

13. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's got to stick around at least 2 more seasons, so he can return to Avaya Stadium in 2018 and atone for an egregious past sin. :rolleyes:

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You make a good point. Villa left Avaya Stadium at halftime with Pirlo to hang out in San Francisco. I don't blame him for that though.

15. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most recent proposal FIFA was talking about was having some of the teams play a one-match preliminary round in the host country, with winners advancing to the group stage. The group stage would remain at 32 teams.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's a hell of a long way to go for just one game. That was the problem in the early World Cups, before they had the group stage where everyone was guaranteed a few games.

The Franchise repped this.
  18. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Villa and Lampard have built quite a partnership in NY's attack with Villa drawing attention and Lampard punishing teams for failing to mark him coming in behind. Bring in a player who's more mobile to replace Pierlo and the team could be as unstoppable as LA were for awhile. Villa and Lampard remind me of how effective Landon and Keane were during their run of titles. Even then, Pierlo often shows the same ability to stretch the field that Beckham did during his time with LA, a role that was eventually taken over jointly by Juninho and Sarvas. And the fact that RBNY has shown an ability to hold their ground with RBNY has turned that into a real rivalry. NYFC's Man City connections have a lot of pull with players including the ones currently with the team, so Villa is unlikely to get an offer from China without a matching bid from the Man City ownership group. Much like Red Bull, they bill alot of their brand off of everyone within their brand winning and being successful. And unlike Red Bull, they don't have an incredibly expensive F1 team to worry about.

19. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bastards made me pick up the tab, too

DanGerman repped this.