Villa or Torres to possibly win Player of the Year Award??

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, Jun 29, 2008.

1. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Now that the Euro is over and Spain has won it, is it possible that Ronaldo won't win the Player of the Year award???

Villa - 22 goals for Valencia, 13 for the NT, most goals in Euro 2008 and great tournament.

Torres - 30 goals for Liverpool, 4 for the NT, good Euro 2008 tournament and title clinching goal.

Ronaldo - 42 goals for Man Utd, 9 for the NT, BPL Champions, Champions League Champion including Most Goals in the Tournament and Sole Manchester Goal in the Final. Failed to score in quarterfinal loss to Germany.

2. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no chance....Villa scored 4 goals this tournament, 3 of them in one game.

Torres, although very good for a first season @ Liverpool, rarely shows up on the national stage, and although he took his chance well today, had he not scored today, he would have been perceived as the tournament's bust.

however, Cristiano has been doing this sort of thing round the clock in the Premier League and Champions League and has won everything in sight

3. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I think Torres could steal it just because of the Euro final and a great season with Liverpool. As long as Ronaldo keeps up great performances this season he will take it but I think Torres is in the running too but Villa not so much.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no i think ronaldo will still win it... there hasnt been a standout performer for spain.

spains player of the tournament = Iker Casillas.

he played well in every game, other players only had a couple good individual performances.

anyways if ronaldo doesnt win, serves him right anyways it will make him more determined... ronaldo always gets better after facing adversity. do something for Portugal for once we had to watch our neigbours steal the spotlight for the next 2 years at least.

5. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I wish I could edit first post and add EPL title & Champs league for Ronaldo....mods help please....

6. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Villa , no way, valencia were dog awful this year.

Torres, maybe, though he had one good game in the final.

Ronaldo has to take it, if you compare him to other fwds like torres, and villa, then no contest.

though ronaldo still does not rank as best player in the world to me.
    He has to show up the whole game, and not 5 minutes here, 5 minutes there.

There really is no second best player, the la liga and serie a were dry this year. EPL was tops. A winner has to come from the EPL without a question for this year.

But you know FIFA will be annoying and give it to RIO fredinand haha

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    done, and it's BPL now. Barclays Premier League.

Bottom Line is it was going to take an amazing performance to take the title from Ronaldo and no one stepped up throughout the whole Tourney. Torres had a poor Euro but showed up big time in the Final, he hustled but the fact remains Germany's defense was God Awful.

Villa had a Hat trick and then a game winner vs Sweden after that he played well but didn't deliver.

The only player that looked like he was in a league of his own was Deco. Simply amazing.

Ronaldo had a decent Euro he didn't play the Swiss Game and had he scored at the end of the first half of the German game he probably would of helped us reach the Final. But outside of the Euro he did everything and more that a Winger should and could do he won the two most major prizes and did so in dominating fashion leading in scoring and filing to score only vs 2 teams all year (Man City and Barcelona)

Like him or not he is the WPOTY, hopefully he gets even better and translates his play to the NT more.

8. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Iberian countries owned this year, thats for sure.

spain 2008 champs i expect ronaldo to be crowned poty so at least portugal receives some kind of glory

but ronaldo, do something in 2010 in a big game when we need u most...

lets qualify first... we got a tough schedule.

9. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It would be very messsed up if Torres wins it. Spain basically got to the final despite him, but he scored the winning goal to seal the tournament...funny how things work. CR should win it, but it wouldnt surprise me if someone else won it. Ballor D'or IMO has more presige then the FIFA POTY.

10. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    kaka had a bad WC with Brazil in 06, but managed to get POTY simply becasue of the CL and the fact he was still AC's best player. Roanldo should still take it AND if CRon keeps up his form at the beginning of the year and for the Euro super cup, he will seal it

11. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Xavi Hernandez was named as player of the tournament for euro 2008.

12. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    nah 06 was cannavaro's year, 07 was kaka's year, his world cup performance wasnt' really a factor.

13. Messi-ah

Messi-ah Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    ronaldo not even named in euro XI!!!!
    wow,the whole squad is russia/spain thats it!
    they even picked cesc! a freakin sub!

14. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ronaldo didnt deserve it....The only Portuguese that maybe deserved to be in the XI is Pepe or Deco.

Edit: I see Bosingwa made it...Good.

15. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  16. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    it's natural that villa, torres, casillas, etc. will get hype now that memories are fresh off a major international tournament.

however, i think it's still ronaldo's to lose.