Vieri

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by mritalian1210, Jul 14, 2005.

1. mritalian1210

mritalian1210 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern Jersey
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I was away on vaction in from Jule 5-13. So I missed the Vieri signing and all the news about it. I would like to know why did Milan do this, aren't we damn close on Gila. I heard Crespo went back to Chelsea, if that's true i sorta understand. But any news from the past 8 days about Gila, Vieri, and Crespo would be helpful.

2. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    just look through the Transfer thread, you'll find all the info there. Yes, Crespo had to go back to Chelsea, so they brought in Vieri. Gila's deal will supposedly be completed on Monday.

3. fungool

fungool New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Allston
    They picked up Vieri because it was such a sensational deal (and yet another good player poached from ****). Milan signed him for no transfer fee and for 5 million pounds/year. Vieri is an experienced player who has a great goal/game ratio everywhere he's played. He'll be hungry to stay in the national team picture for the WC too, so I'm expecting good things.

Look at the depth the Milan attack has presently:

Shevchenko, Gilardino, Inzaghi, and Vieri. Unfortunately, Tomasson looks to be headed for Benfica but even without him that is a very impressive attack.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    really?

5. snigacookie

snigacookie New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    No offense, but Vieri is the wrong man for the team. I saw him play in Mass, and I was disgusted. He had several chances in front of the goal but no good shots. Why do you think that Inter let him go? They would rather have their youth progress than have gramps walk around the field. I admit his awareness is outstanding and his decisions are good as well but he is no longer the player he was before. I expect him to be on the reserves until Inzaghi finally heals then he will be let go next season.

6. ddbboommbb

ddbboommbb Red Card

Aug 26, 2004
    Hes scored 9 of the past 13 world cup goals italy has scored since 1998, he obviously isn't as bad as people make it seem. Hes old now, what do you expect

7. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    My main concern with Vieri is his movement without the ball. I was at the Foxboro game last week and was constantly pointing out to my friend that Bobo wasn't pulling away defenders from the ball if he didnt have possession. That's what seperates Sheva from the rest of our current strikers, all who are pretty good at finishing, but not in the creative build up of play.

In a best case scenario, Bobo is going to give us what Crespo gave us last year- a strong header striker who may not be good with the ball at his feet but will finish a decent percentage of chances. But while Vieri might be stronger, he's not as fast as Hernan, and it will take him a while to learn our midfielders passing tendancies. Also, it hurts to know that Jon Dahl Tomasson, who was underated in his passing and possession skills, was let go (we could have used him this preseason- we've been pretty stale up front as far as creativity from the second striker position-although he wasn't a reliable scorer, he'd often play more the Bergkamp role of striker :( ).