Viera suspended for Chelsea match

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Nov 29, 2004.

1. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wenger: Arsenal are tired- BBC The article states that Viera's last booking means he will be suspended for the Chelsea match. With our current shortness of central midfielders this is a HUGE problem for us. Our matches with Chelski will decide the title and this news has sunk me to a new low. Any ideas about how Wenger will handle this?

2. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    can i ask how come he doesnt miss the Manchester United game or the Birmingham City game?

3. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    The ban starts after 7 days, he would have been ok if we'd have played on the saturday.

4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yup, I'd have to agree with you... its not good, however - I don't think you will just lay down and take it.

I know how you guys hate Cygan, but why not play him next to Sol and let Toure play DM alongside Cesc or even try Bergkamp in one of the midfield slots.

It's not time yet to say a match will decide the season or not - heck after our horrid start if we don't lose to Portsmouth we'd be a point behind you and much closer to Chelsea than almost anyone would have wagered.

If I were Wenger I would take this match as a challenge, a chance for the younger players to prove themselves when their team dearly needs them.

5. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    You stole my thunder :) I was going to suggest the same thing regarding Toure, after all he was a midfield player 18 months ago, and we know he'll get stuck in, as for the much maligned Cygan, he'd be ok with Sol to look after him so why not give it a go.

Also our wide players need to up their game for the Chelsea match , in attack, and more importantly defence, we don't want them running riot down the flanks.

6. Girlbinti

Girlbinti Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    This is silly. I thought the FA had streamlined disciplinary measures so suspensions start immediately? Evidently, the "streamlining" applies only to red cards...

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd actually prefer Wenger use the match as a challenge to Cesc and Flamini and not play Toure out of position. In all honesty, while I would prefer that Vieira was available....he hasn't been playing well lately (despite the goal yesterday) and I'd rather see Flamini get a full match playing against two of the better midfielders in the league. Wenger obviously liked what he saw when he signed Flamini....let's see what happens.

8. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the best idea although I was originally thinking along the lines of what MtKilla said. I just think it'd be nice to have a backup defender in case, and god forbid, another one of our defenders gets hurt. And with the luck we've been having lately, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did. Anyway, I think this match could make or break our season. We've beaten Chelsea the past few seasons and I think this game could determine who's going to come out on top at the end. Hopefully Reyes will be up for the challenge and score another rocket of a goal like last season (don't remember if that was a leauge or cup match).

9. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    the rocket was the cup match i think
    i assume ur talking about this one?

[​IMG]

10. Lanesra

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    I just think the pairing of those two would be too lightweight, Toure would give us some muscle, and as I've said, not to long ago he was a midfielder.

11. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand. And my comments do not reflect in any way a lack of confidence in Toure....I think you could stick him in as a target forward and he'd do a great job....I'd just prefer him to be solidifying his defensive experience.

12. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Toure

i've been saying this for ages now!! waste of offensive talent being used as a Centre-half! but as a stopgap defensive mid, I am all for a move like this~

Henry/Toure... i like the sound of that...

13. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    It's VIEIRA Douchebag

;)

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. :D

15. Fun with Acid

Fun with Acid New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Lake Kinkaid

I am the worst spellar in the world but this sh!t is funny.

16. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    My ass you were drunk when you wrote this.

You just suck at life.

[​IMG]

(I love how the kid is 4 and already sporting some bling in the ear - typical Rotterdamian)

17. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    took a while no? ;)