Vieira charged by F.A

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DEREK WHITE, Sep 3, 2002.

1. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

Can you believe Patrick is up on a misconduct charge following comments made to the match official this really takes the biscuit.There really is one rule for Arsenal and one for everyone else I only hope Arsenal as a club fight this and if that means suing the F.A like sugar did all those years ago then so be it.No other club gets treated like this.

What are your opinions I want to hear any gooners that ar living in England what is the spin on the story there.Also we should e mail the F.A to make our views felt it will do no good but at least it will show that enough people see this as totally unfair.

2. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    After the first yellow you could read Vieiras lips. Expletives galore. At that point I knew D'urso was going to look for any excuse to give a second yellow and he did. Vieira than cussed a streak again. Misconduct charge is unwarranted but surprising? NO

3. mogador

mogador New Member

Apr 11, 2002
    New York
    Viera Vendetta

Now I know that Viera tends to throw it about a bit, much less than he used to mind you ie. spitting on people while kicking they're legs from underneath them, but this is getting ridiculous.

At best Viera deserved one Yellow on Sunday from what I saw.

4. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

This was Arsenal's first sending off in 24 games also Durso sent off Patrick last yr against Leicester again unwarranted so he at every right to have a go at Durso.I know the rules have changed in that a player can't say anything but itn always seems to be Patrick who gets the rough deal.His record over the past few yrs has been great and yet he is up on a misconduct charge when the whole world knows he should not even have nbeen sent off.I think the FA want their 50 thousand pounds (our suspended fine)and they don't care what they do to get it.This is the same referee who ran away from Man Utd players at old trafford and issued no cards and no disrepute charges brought there really is one rule for Arsenal just like there was in 90/91

5. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Almost every player throws a few F-bombs the referee's way after every call! How do I know, because I can actually read their lips during the close up after a foul. Players tend to be dismissive and abusive to the referees in general. Why single out Viera? Because he had the nerve to question the double yellow! It's the FA's way of saying - never question the referees!

6. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Spare the pity for someone who deserves it.

The fact that the vast majority of players who break this rule go uncharged does not mean that it isn't a rule anymore. Whether or not he deserved the 2 yellows is irrelevant. He swore at the ref and now the ref's calling him on it. End of story.

7. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come now gents, are any of us really that surprised at this?

One would think we'd have grown accustomed to being ************ed by the FA regularly.

I can't get too worked up about this (and I suggest some of you chaps follow my lead) because it's become so commonplace to be singled out and treated harshly that it would be abnormal if we weren't bitch slapped.

What can you expect really from an organization that's run by a turncoat Scotsman?

Adam Crozier, from Hells heart I stab at thee.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not surprising in the least. Vieira is a marked man and D'Urso seems to be at the centre of a lot of controversial incidents these days.

9. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

I really can not believe you people I was just on the
    Arsenal World message board and these people at least realise that this stinks.No one there comes out with a statements like fox fury.Perhaps I am too passionate about Arsenal in that I only support one team not a whole list like some people.I have seen the comments on here about how Arsenal will perform this season well if we continue to have unjust decisions made against us we won't.If Arsenal fans are happy with this situation then don't complain and blame Wenger for our poor discipline later in the season.Just because we are continually treated unfairly and badly by the F.A does not mean we should accept it.If we as Arseanl fans do not sing from the same hymn sheet and let the F.A know how we feel you can be sure the tabloid press and sky sports won't.Roy Keane was sent off on Saturday for elbowing Jason McAteer and to their credit the Man Ure fans defend their captain.If our captain ever reads any Arsenal associated web sites I am sure he would like to see people defend him not make him into the enemy.He may feel that he would be better off at another club who would appreciate him and what he offers the team the famous Arsenal trait is we are in it to-gether from the 30's right through to, to-day this included players and fans read the books Fever Pitch ,Addicted,Rock Bottom.Mr.Wright,Safe Hands.Being an Arsenal fan means taking the flak the lucky tag the boring tag but it also means defending our own not helping him to the gallows.I am sure I will get some interesting comments but when you have stood on away terraces and sat in away hovels then you are used to the abuse.

10. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    I beg to differ. You shouldn't defend someone just because they wear an Arsenal shirt. Should I say that it was right for Wiltord to stay on even tho I feel he should have been sent off twice on Sunday. I'm not saying fox point fury is right. During the camera shot of Vieira arguing his red, the back of his head is to the camera. It didn't look like he said anything bad when he was shown the first yellow. For the most part he was saying "What is this for" and "I was going for the ball".

11. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

I will say if someone has let down the good name of Arsenal however in this instance Patrick is more sinned against than sinner.The only consolation from this is that like 90/91 and last season when we as a team are being treated badly we come back and prove that not only are we good enough to beat other teams but the referees and the F.A. also.George used the hatred of the media and the bias of the F.A to mould to-gether a strong team spirit and I think Arsene is doing the same.You ask me should we blindly defend someone just because they play for Arsenal I will answer that by asking what does Arsene do I will take my lead from him he is not a bad guy to copy.

12. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Over the last year and longer we have defended Vieira to a fault. When he "cleaned up his act" he became a better and more influential player, hence the captians arm band. When a player knows or should know that he is a marked man than he should change accordingly. At this point we know that the FA will watch closer therefore we need to be a touch more careful.

No one said this doesnt suck, its more of an "I told you so."

13. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

We as a team have cleaned up our act and Patrick in particular and still we get a raw deal.

14. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    One arguement I will give is that Leeds is a dirty team, on and off the pitch. Alan Smith, for one, runs his mouth more than any player I can think of yet there appears to be limited repercussions. The FA is seldom investigating a Leeds player for words said to an Official. Why? I dont know, I have limited information on the politics of the FA. Chelsea is another and they get away with alot of physical play. I believe it starts with a media outlet and the accusations snowball from there. Arsenal are in that ball.

15. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I don't care if ya'll think it is whining or "defending the undefendable" (it's not like I'm defending Roy "I'll elbow you in the head if you piss me off" Keane). Handing down suspensions for "abusive language" is ridiculous. If they are being abusive on the pitch, hand them a yellow for dissent but don't wait until the next day to claim bad language. What I see is a referee that didn't like the post game comments and decided to "get" Viera.

And yes, I think consistency is the key. Want to stop bad language on the pitch, card every single player that drops an F-bomb! Maybe harsh at first but if applied evenly then everyone should get the picture rather quickly.

Language is generally the least of my concerns on the pitch, I'm much more worried about two footed tackles and other thuggery that doesn't get punished unless committed by certain teams! Consistency and clarity is the key to good refereeing!

16. dwinkler

dwinkler New Member

Aug 11, 2000
    Denver, CO
  17. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just because Wenger blindly defends his players does not mean that he is right. Your last couple of posts have been absolute cobblers. If one of your players commits an offence then he should be punished, period.

As for the FA clamping down on bad language, it seems to me that Vieira has been singled out because of his past reputation for getting into trouble with referees. Firstly, there was ample scope for dealing with this offence, it has been in the rulebook for years that foul and/or abusive languauge is punishable by a yellow card. If the referees have chosen not to implement this rule in the past, it's their own fault that players use industrial language on the pitch and I have no sympathy for them. Secondly, if they did caution everyone who used bad language towards the referee, I doubt there would be anyone left on the field at the end of 90 minutes. As a game cannot continue of a side goes down to less than 7 players, I fear we would have a lot of abandonments!

18. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    I agree that if players are cautiioned for every "f-bomb" than a great number of matches would be abandoned. I see players called for the foul and as they run from the play they curse and argue but they at least give the perception that it is not directed at the official. Paddy walked up to D'Urso put a finger in his face and dropped his "f-bombs" at point blank range. TWICE! He brought entirely too much attention to himself and now the team has to pay.

19. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    It didn't look like he cursed at all after the first yellow card. After the second, his back was to the camera so you couldn't make out what he said. For all we know he could have asked for a cup of tea(tho I doubt it).

20. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Defending a player after a physical challenge (i.e. saying "No, that was not a studs up two footed hack.") is different than defending a player for "comments on the pitch." One, is more obviously turning a blind eye (which always irks me about Arsene's "I didn't see the play" comment), whereas the other is questioning the judgement of the referees and much more subjective. Perhaps a player with a rep like Viera, Keane, A. Smith, et al. gets busted for saying "Ref, that was a crap call." whereas someone like Rio Ferdinand can say "Ref, you are a F------ W-------!" and not get punished. I've seen more than enough yelling at the referees to say that the only ones getting punished are those players with a rep!

As for game abandonment due to double yellows for dissent, I doubt it would happen. There may be a slew of yellows in the first game, but after that players and managers would cope. These people are supposed to be professionals (sure they play a sport) and I don't know about your work places but language like that is frowned on at mine!

21. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

The reason Arsene defends his players is because a great manager will always defend his players in public Shankly,Revie, Paisley, Graham, Ferguson.When a manager loses the respect of his players he is finished look at O'Leary he criticize Bowyer and Woodgate the team went on the slide O'Leary went out of the door and Bowyer and Woodgate are still there.If Arsene did not defend his players so vigorously would Pat and the rest still be at Highbury the short answer is no.Enough clubs have wanted them over the yrs but they stay with us because of Arsene.I am sure that any discipline is carried out behind closed doors and not in an after match interview.I am sure that the players are made aware of their responsibilities to the club but as long as it is done in private they will be ok with it.

22. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If Wenger had a policy of saying that discipline is an internal matter, never commenting on his players discipline in public and then dealing with matters that would be fine. But to suggest that he should defend his players whatever they do is ridiculous and frankly, it would tarnish the reputation of our club. Even Ferguson had to admit that Keane deserved to go the other day after elbowing McAteer and Keane will accept it because he will know better than anyone that he did warrant his red card. I hope that Wenger is more intelligent than to blindly defend his players just because he wants to foster a 'them against us' mentality in the camp.

23. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Originally posted by DEREK WHITE
    I really can not believe you people I was just on the
    Arsenal World message board and these people at least realise that this stinks.No one there comes out with a statements like fox fury.

I've always prided myself on my originality...

I have seen the comments on here about how Arsenal will perform this season well if we continue to have unjust decisions made against us we won't.If Arsenal fans are happy with this situation then don't complain and blame Wenger for our poor discipline later in the season.

Personally, I agree with Revelation that suspending a player for swearing is silly, but the rule is on the books. It's not like the ref and the FA colluded to sneak it in there last night, so I don't see how it's unjust.

Please explain your notion that the current enforcement of the rules will lead to poor discipline later in the season. Also, why do you suppose that the fans will blame AW for this instead of the player(s) in question?

Just because we are continually treated unfairly and badly by the F.A does not mean we should accept it.

http://www.football365.com/You_Say_We_say/Football365_Opinion/story_39723.shtml

If we as Arseanl fans do not sing from the same hymn sheet and let the F.A know how we feel you can be sure the tabloid press and sky sports won't.Roy Keane was sent off on Saturday for elbowing Jason McAteer and to their credit the Man Ure fans defend their captain.

To their credit? People gain respect in your eyes for supporting untennable positions?

If our captain ever reads any Arsenal associated web sites I am sure he would like to see people defend him not make him into the enemy.He may feel that he would be better off at another club who would appreciate him and what he offers the team

If Paddy does indeed read bigsoccer he knows that I love him and so do most people around here. A player with as much pride and passion as he has wouldn't consider submitting a transfer request because some nobody on the internet called him on a tiny little thing he did wrong. That behaviour would be childlike, and I have enough respect for him to believe that he's above that.

Being an Arsenal fan means taking the flak the lucky tag the boring tag but it also means defending our own not helping him to the gallows.I am sure I will get some interesting comments but when you have stood on away terraces and sat in away hovels then you are used to the abuse.

Help him to the gallows? Come back to reality.

24. DEREK WHITE

DEREK WHITE New Member

Arsenal launch Vieira defence
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is ready to go all the way in support of
    Patrick Vieira as he faces an FA misconduct charge.
    Vieira faces a rap on top of a one-match ban after being sent off by referee
    Andy D'Urso at Stamford Bridge.
    Jeffers may leave Arsenal </sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/2240336.stm>
    Billericay official D'Urso refused to even consider he was harsh in sending
    off French star Vieira against Chelsea.
    This was derspite a video replay showing the Gunners' skipper had not even
    made contact with Gianfranco Zola when shown the first of two yellow cards.
    And when Vieira earned a red card with a second yellow in a clash with
    Jesper Gronkjaer, Chelsea's Danish winger admitted it was his foot which
    made contact with Vieira and not the other way around.
    In D'Urso's report to the Football Association, however, he said Vieira used
    foul and abusive language when shown the red card and now the player has
    been charged with misconduct which could carry a further three-match ban.
    But Arsenal boss Wenger insists he will defend Vieira to the hilt even
    though he admits to not even having yet asked his captain whether he swore
    at the referee.
    Wenger said: "I have not spoken to Patrick yet but you can read lips on TV.
    I've looked at the replay and he doesn't even touch Zola. And everybody has
    heard what Gronkjaer said about the other incident.
    "There is no doubt we will appeal - and for two possible reasons. The first
    would be that he didn't say it and the second is that it was very harsh to
    send him off.

"You can be caught driving at 80mph on the motorway but it's not right if
    every day it is just you."
    D'Urso has booked Vieira four times in the last five matches in which both
    have appeared and also sent him off against Leicester City at Highbury a
    year ago.
    Wenger said: "Only the referee can answer why he wouldn't reconsider his
    decision because that is what the referee we had for our match against
    Birmingham did after Aliou Cisse was sent off, but it would be sad if
    Patrick is sent off just because he is Vieira.
    <<...OLE_Obj...>> You can be caught driving at 80mph on the motorway but
    it's not right if every day it is just you <<...OLE_Obj...>>
    "I can't imagine that a referee would go out on the field thinking `I will
    book him'
    "In any case, I feel Patrick deserves to be defended on this. It would be
    irresponsible of the club not to do so."
    In fact, there is no mechanism in the FA's disciplinary mechanism for appeal
    against a sending off if it is the result of two yellow cards.
    Unfair to Eriksson
    Vieira will be banned from Arsenal's game against Bolton at Highbury, but
    Wenger has made it clear he will ask for a personal hearing on the
    misconduct charge.
    Meanwhile, Wenger defended England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson in the
    ongoing club v country friendly debate.
    "I give him personally a lot of credit. He tries to accommodate the clubs,"
    said Wenger.
    "He knows how hard it is inside the clubs because he has worked in there.
    Wenger said the England manager had been harshly dealt with by the press.
    "He is treated in an unfair way," he said.
    "If he doesn't try young players in these kinds of games, when can he do it?
    It's a good opportunity to see players.
    "I feel it is criticising just because you want to criticise.
    "If you have an objective analysis of what he is doing, I don't think he
    deserves what he is getting.
    "The clash is more at the moment between the clubs paying the players and
    the national teams not paying the players," he added.