Victoria Highlanders want to join W-League

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by bythesea, Nov 4, 2010.

1. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
  2. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be cool. I'm sure they would be supported there.

3. ivannomad

ivannomad Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Tyler, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think there maybe about 7 other teams looking to join the W-League in the near future I.e. The leftovers from WPS

4. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    It's official. Victoria Highlanders join the W-League. http://wleague.uslsoccer.com/home/484110.html

It's impressive to see their commitment to girls' academy teams.

I guess the Whitecaps won't be playing on Vancouver Island as the home team next summer.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice news. Do you think the "barnstorming" of the Whitecaps helped demonstrate there was interest in the area?

6. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Not so much that. Probably more the support the PDL team has been getting (a thousand fans a game, I think).

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. That's a very nice attendance # for PDL.

8. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The W League season is 8 weeks. It's what you do in the other 44 that validates your contribution, as a player or a franchise.

9. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Victoria Highlanders played their debut game in W-League, a 0-0 draw with Seattle Sounders. Newspaper article: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/Women+Highlanders+hold+their+baptism+fire/4785882/story.html

Victoria may be an underdog but shouldn't be a pushover. Most of them probably played together last year when they were in the PCSL. They've likely been training together for weeks unlike those W-League teams that depend on NCAA talent. Their forwards need to be watched. Kendra Flock has played for the CNT and Liz Hansen has had productive years with Doncaster. (But why did she leave when they joined the FA WSL?)

10. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005