Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I think u hate football more than I do

mebeSajid and Tonerl repped this.
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From clicking that link I discovered: (a) a method of getting around The Athletic's paywall to read an article, (b) that the Lasagna food-poising theory was debunked, and replaced by a quick and potent norovirus which they deemed the likely culprit.

Whatever it was, lightning does strike twice sometimes. Hope springs eternal?

daedalus repped this.
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton 0-2 Palace at HT. Palace should arguably been reduced to 10 men when Ayew did a straight-red tackle on Gordon, which for some reason Anthony Taylor deemed only a yellow and VAR didn't overrule him or send him to the monitor. Another strike for how the EPL uses VAR?

And wouldn't you know that about 1 minute later Ayew scores the all important 2nd goal.

If this holds up, hold on to your hats when Everton come to N5 on Sunday.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, that Ayew tackle is a straight red 8 days a week, excepting for today apparently.

yossarian repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean I get it - Rudiger has just done the same thing to Chelsea.

You get one career. Cash in if its just a job to you.

But if Rudiger's career doesn't pan out at Real, then that's on him. He went for the money.

No sympathy for Rambo. He went full Merc.

AEAAFC96, thebigman and daedalus repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matches at Goodison and Villa Park have a bit of final day of the season drama about them.

EVE 2-2 CP at 75' after Richarlson just equalizes... crowd going semi-nuts
    AVL 1-1 BUR at 65' and there was a nice goal by Buendia after HT that would've made RVP proud

All the while Jesse Marsch & Leeds fans are biting away their fingernails.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the slowness of Ashley Barnes coming off the pitch it appears that Burnley may be happy for a draw. Can't say the same about Everton who are desperately scrapping for a win...

... which they may have just gotten... 3-2 on a DCL header.

And then in another demonstration of stupid fans, there's a pitch invasion... at 85'? Hello? What fools.

8. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pandemonium at Goodison as Everton take the lead. If they concede after this, or if VAR intervenes, I will be amused.

daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Security at European soccer matches is so useless.

AEAAFC96 and DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton seal the deal. And escape relegation by the skin of their teeth.

And perhaps good news for Arsenal if we want to have a better chance of winning our last match and praying for Norwich to do the same.

AEAAFC96, daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that may change I think. We just lived through decades of relative tranquility in stadia, compared the bad old days of the 70's & 80's. And police have naturally become a little dumb fat & happy I think.

But it seems that fans all over have recently been testing the limits of what they can get away with. And not just in France where it's bad for several years now.

Another pitch invasion at Goodison at FT of course, this one a full on invasion... can't see the grass any more. Thankfully it's looking pretty civil there ATM.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yeah. and, i mean, don't get me wrong, i would absolutely sneaking past them into CL and, obviously, st totteringham but the shitshow uproar would be the far greater reward.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frank Lampard is THE most popular guy to hug in the directors box right now. LOL. Fine margins! Ultra fine!!

leppercut repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burnley just barely escape defeat at Villa. Thanks in large part to Nick Pope with an awesome game, and at least one worldie save, almost Banksian.

So now it's down to the simple binary of Leeds and Burnley on the final day. One of them is going down.

And I sure hope it's Burnley.

15. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    that's my thing. i'm not going to question or shit on someone else's decision with their money. like, i have no anger at him or his departure but i also don't have much in the way of lingering feeling either.

16. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Articles at the time suggested he had agreed to an offer in principal, probably for more money than his injury history warranted, and then Arsenal withdrew the offer. That’s when he decided to sign with Juve for ridiculous money.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    400 is way more money that we could have offer and insanely more than he should have been.

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  18. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    man, as much as i am and have been rooting for everton to stay up (and for them to come for the last game with nothing to gain/lose), there's a big part of me that feels they should have had that game forfeited as a loss.

and all the morons rushing the pitch be identified publicly.

19. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    But he didn’t take it until after Arsenal had withdrawn their offer which was rumored to be just over half what he signed for with Juventus. Still to much for an injury prone player, but he was apparently ready to resign with Arsenal. So I don’t blame him for leaving Arsenal for insane money. In the end it was the right decision for everyone but Juventus.

AEAAFC96, daedalus and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Line them all up for Patrick to take a whack.

I mean, what do they expect him to do -- players getting bottles thrown at their head, racist monkey sounds and they're supposed to be professional?

daedalus repped this.
  21. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring law story: Back in my litigator days, I deposed a CDC expert in a case involving an alleged mass incident of food poisoning. He said in the vast majority of such cases, it's not, in fact, food poisoning. Rather, it's nearly always norovirus.

daedalus, maskito and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  22. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Legend
    1527404547072741376 is not a valid tweet id

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't scoured the news to find any stupid ugly scenes of the Goodison pitch invasion. But I have no doubt there were some. But I think on the whole the club, the league, the community were lucky because those kind of passionate scenes are usually poised on the edge of mass chaos & potential violence, which at just after the FT whistle didn't seem to be happening for the most part. But I turned it off 3 mins after.

But on the flip side, it was truly remarkable what the Evertonians did in the final weeks of the seasons. They basically said "come on boys, we're not havin this" and mobilized incredible support before and during matches. Turning regular season EPL home matches into the likes of UCL semi final nights. There's a lot of 12th man cliches thrown about but this may be one of the very best examples of it actually working.

Michael Keane said that at HT when they were 0-2, they said to themselves if we get one goal the crowd will roar and carry us to a comeback. That's precisely what happened, with Keane getting that goal.

On the BBC radio podcast, immediately afterwards, several ex-players, commentators & analysts that were in the ground said that they'd never heard an atmosphere quite like that in all their careers.

So, aside from any shockingly stupid behavior by some dolts during the invasion, the Everton fanbase as a whole deserve kudos in how they mobilized and willed their team to one of the club's greatest accomplishments, as much as finishing 16th can be considered an accomplishment. And given their long history in the league, not to mention the financial capital involved with the EPL, it is definitely that.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pv4 is hard as ********

he would’ve battered keane in a scrap

AEAAFC96, daedalus and DaPrince84 repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - but that is how this works - the club has to re-sign at something approaching his open market value, or he walks and gets his open market value as a free agent.

The only way to stop it is Arsenal should have sold him when he didn't resign with 2 years to run

Of course peak-Wumger was behind all this.

It was said at the time he could have re-upped Alexis and Ozil on around 250k p/w (i.e elite star money) but he didn't want to - so they ran down their contracts.

daedalus repped this.