Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've said this before, but I'll repeat it - no club has more random results than Southampton.

Lose to Wolves, draw City twice, lose to Arsenal, beat West Ham, lose to Norwich, crush Brentford, draw Newcastle, draw Chelsea, draw Burnley.

They've had all of these results this season!

2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
  3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I've ever seen, or will ever see, a better view of curling shot into the far top corner, around a petrified keeper, as Ziyech did for Chelsea. Woosh!

And to make it sweeter, it was against you know who.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Beautiful goal

daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Silva makes it 2-0 :D

Hopefully they'll be able to manage it for the remaining 35-40 mins.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tottenham looks ********ing awful. The question for me is whether Chelsea score 2 or 3 more rather than whether they'll hold on.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the boys were drawing bottom-dwelling Burnley, the gals were also drawing at table-climbing Citeh. And this is a good example of how we can feel so different about the same 1pt result. Not least of which because of a 93' clutch equalizer by Tobin Heath... no doubt her biggest moment at the club so far, though she's had paltry few minutes to date.

Or the longer highlights if you prefer...

p.s. The club were quite active in the January window for the women's squad, and reasonably early too. Obviously the men's vs women's markets are very different, but it makes me wonder what if any overlap exists between the staff involved in deals for the two teams.

maskito repped this.
  8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about this "on the radio" but just watched it now. Ooooof!

The graphic says "Goal of the Day", but I say maybe "Free Kick of the Year".

Edit: Sadly outside this game there was a stampede that killed at least 8 and injured many more.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  9. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love a good knuckled shot from distance. No rotation on that ball whatsoever. Just blasted it...

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

daedalus, Bluto11 and GunnerJacket repped this.
  11. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This is insane, and I learned in the comments Watford are on manager 15 since 12/13 which is only 3 less than West Ham have had in their ENTIRE HISTORY. That is crazy.

daedalus and GunnerJacket repped this.
  12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably all those 15 managers have done pretty well for themselves financially, i.e. the owners had to buy them out of their contract early. So maybe that's how most/all of those managers have approached it... as a short-term, gonna-end-early, lucrative stint. I.e. check your ego at the door.

13. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    You'd hope, but who knows!

I should add that minus caretakers Arsenal have had 20 managers. Crazy.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28864 NorthBank, Jan 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    In case anyone's interested, I just noticed that Arsenal Women play a make-up match vs Brighton in about 1.5hrs (2:30pm ET) and it should be available to stream on NBCSports.com/app.

The ladies are still clinging to top spot in the league, having stumbled a bit of late. So this match would be a great opportunity to make a statement. However, there's another even bigger match against United in <48hrs so Jonas may have to rotate a bit today. [Edit: that's wrong! Man Utd is on Feb.5]

COYG!!!!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  15. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    USA playing El Salvador in, checks notes, Columbus, OH where it will be 30 degrees F at kick off with snow showers

Oh, even better, they are playing outdoors in Hamilton Ontario on the 30th where it will be a high of 22 and a low of 7

Wait, even better, outdoors in St Paul, MN on Feb 2nd where it will be a high of 12 and a low of -3

Brilliant bit of scheduling my US Soccer and the Canadian Soccer Association.

16. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better the match is today - if it was two days ago, temps at kickoff woulda been in the single digits. oh yeah!

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saw reporting earlier that, if Canada had hosted in Vancouver, we'd be hosting in San Jose and Portland.

They've talked about reducing travel as the reason for these sites, but the flight from Toronto to Charlotte is the same length as the flight from Toronto to Minneapolis. There's no time change, and the forecast high for next Wednesday in Charlotte is 57 degrees, not ********ing 12.

USSF decisions are made at the bottom of a cocaine mountain. Idiots all around.

18. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    lol CSA with some peak tier shithousery, choosing Hamilton. Not far from the lake, icy winds and freezing temps. Lovely Canadian weather.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if serious or sarcastic.

But it's a time honored tradition to schedule games in the north during winter, especially against teams from south of the border. OH is very common in this regard, but having one in MN is even better! Of course the key assumption being that it gives us cold weather Yanks more of a home advantage, which I think is probably true for the most part.

20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    In March or November, sure. Not in January and February.

The conditions in the Midwest at this time of year are the reason MLS can never go to a fall-spring calendar.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. When I wrote that, I almost changed it from "winter" to "fall/winter/spring" but decided to leave it at "winter" which in my head represented November to March, but of course who would know that.

Still, USSF may be stupid at times but they're not completely stupid. I have to believe this was a very conscious decision, knowing that the conditions could be brutal in late Jan, and figuring that it gives us an edge. Which lately we kinda need TBF.

22. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Feb. 2 weather forecast is better than most of the days we've had so far in January. It's not much, but it's something to be optimistic about here. I fully expect a packed stadium, though the quality of play may not justify the commitment of those in attendance.

23. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    100% sarcasm. Who the ******** schedules an outdoor game in February in Minnesota? The ball is going to be rock hard and is going to do weird things. I can only hope this doesn't come back to bite them.

If the USMNT needs an edge against El Salvador and Honduras at home, then they should just not even try to qualify for the World Cup.

I know it is an odd time to have a qualifier with the WC being at an old time in the middle of a desert, but this is just stupid. No one on the American squad has played in temps like this so even if they might be more used to them it will definitely mess with them.

24. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If I lived in MN I would probably be at the game, it will be an experience for the fans. I think the quality of play is going to be horrendous though.

maskito repped this.
  25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Serious Q: If the US knew their match vs Canada would be in Hamilton during this stretch, is it possible the choices of Cbus and MN were in part to have players acclimated, and then take advantage of that acclimation? ie: Isn't it harder as a player, especially on short rest, to from one climate extreme to another, and then back?

NorthBank repped this.