Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    get what you can now - especially with their need for body - then splash the cash in summer when more options are likely to be available. after you have splash the cash and he starts warming benches (except as target man when you are chasing, samba-style), he still counts for your english quota. it's a fairly smart move.

that we couldn't convince them to grab auba - for a minimal fee - is a fail on our part.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What makes you think we've been trying to sell Auba to NUFC, let alone anyone at this point?

p.s. Even this season's subpar Auba is better than Wood.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There's no way Auba would agree to go to Newcastle except for insane money

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    That’s the problem Newcastle is facing, potential big money transfers want European football, not a relegation fight.

daedalus repped this.
  5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Auba can go anywhere, I would sell him to spurs if they offered wedge

6. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    why shouldn't we? as much as i like aubameyang and, yes, i'm still happy about the extension (even if i can admit to it not being great business):

1) it appears he does not/cannot get on with the manager who has the backing of ownership.

2) it appears his style of play does not match in anyway with the manager who has the backing of ownership.

3) between his age, his contract, this market and our inability to raise (or even maintain) value of our assets, his option is limited.

4) they are unlikely to get any big name/high profile transfer. he fills a need for both position and name.

7. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i mean, they do have insane money.

Super Llama repped this.
  8. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Wood count as homegrown?

Edit: He apparently does. I have no recollection of this guy before like two years ago but he’s apparently been in England since he was 17.

daedalus repped this.
  9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it's more interesting that Newcastle are buying a player from Burnley.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood is gonna tear up the Champ next season.

Tonerl, daedalus and NorthBank repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily disagree with any of this. I was only questioning the basis of your post which implied that we wanted or tried to sell him to NUFC... and failed.

12. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't know if they wanted to or tried but, if they didn't, then it's a failure in operations.

Tonerl repped this.
  13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe him for a second.

14. Tonerl

Tonerl Member+

Arsenal
    May 10, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember when Kane swore on…was it his daughter’s or mother’s life or something that he touched a cross that ended up going in?

yossarian and daedalus repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barely. But there’s more motivation for Kane to lie in that situation, i.e. to increment his goal tally for the season. Whereas that was 100% Winks’ goal regardless of whether he intended it or not.

16. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    my favourite part is winks and kane are believable but saka is not.

17. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28793 NorthBank, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    I just finished fast-watching Ghana’s opening match in CAF against Morocco from Sunday. I was cycling and primarily watching because of Partey.

He played as a DM/CM. It was either a 2 or 3 man midfield I couldn’t quite tell, but he played very much smack in the middle, having quite a few touches. Nothing very remarkable I thought. And not much different than how he plays for us.

He did some fairly persistent fouling early on, which could’ve earned him a yellow.

Morocco seemed the better team all along and then with 8 mins to go Thomas ended up being the unwitting provider of Morocco’s only and game-winning goal… pretty random deflection off his leg which he couldn’t really have done much about.

He was subbed off right after that, but I suppose that was more due to a shape change in a drastic attempt to equalize.

My lasting impression was that neither he nor his team was particularly good on the day, and so with any luck he will stay fit and we’ll get him back soon. :)

thebigman repped this.
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28794 NorthBank, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Yeah. Apparently he had a $34M release clause and NUFC triggered it with their new found oil money. I'm not sure there's too many clubs out there who would want to do likewise... for Chris Wood. So it will both fill a striker hole for Newcastle and create a new one at Burnley, their nearest direct rival in the relegation spots. Clever. Unless Burnley have something even cleverer up their sleeves.

20. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Take the 34m and spend it on hookers and blow?

AEAAFC96, CarlosKaiser and daedalus repped this.
  21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    20 mill

there’s a rumour the clause isn’t even active till the summer they just took the money

22. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    all the notes i've read have said 20, too.

it feels like a white flag but that's probably as much money as they'll get for wood and they were getting relegated anyway . . .

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC was the source and I double-checked that they wrote $34M, which equates to <25M in pounds, so who knows. Anyway it's probably more than he's really worth. Maybe they just paid 25% over the release clause amount just to ensure that the deal would be accepted?

And perhaps more importantly there's that clever aspect of NUFC filling a hole while simultaneously creating a new hole at BFC, which has to be filled one would think. Unless they truly are waving the white flag. But with Burnley's escape history it's hard for me to completely buy that theory.

24. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Everyone knows that if a player has a release clause of, I don't know, say £40m, you bid £40,000,001 and it is automatically accepted. Right? Right?

But we are talking about religiously observant Saudis...so yeah...hookers and blow.

maskito and daedalus repped this.
  25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but my comment was based on Bigman saying the word was that the release clause isn't in effect til summer, so they decided to just bid well over that now to induce the deal. It's all speculation. But the key thing, which I think Mebe was perhaps alluding to is that NUFC take a key offensive force away from their most direct rival.