Victims of a Campaign- The Other Footy Teams Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunneRy, Mar 25, 2015.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah pretty stupid. I don't know if it's the same across all stadia here, but at NYRB they confiscate your tiny, almost massless, plastic bottle caps, but allow you to have a 16oz metal can.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    #28402 Bluto11, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    I thought Hamilton should’ve pitted when Max pitted the second time, just to have fresh tires. Regarding the lapped cars, it is stewards discretion I believe. And the original decision was to not let them pass, but then he changed it after RB complained. People are also pointing out to at only the lapped cars between Lewis and Max were allowed to pass instead of all of the lapped cars but having all the lapped cars pass would’ve made no difference in getting Max behind Lewis.

3. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Pitting always caries some risk and Max had nothing to lose pitting from second place. No way Lewis would pit ahead of Max and risk giving up track position that he may not get back. Now, once Max pitted, it would make sense to bring in Lewis to cover him up. But it seems like Mercedes either believed the race would end under a safety car or the unlapped cars would block Max.

Props to Lewis, he was a class act post-race. No one could blame him if he went to stew in the Mercedes garage rather than face the media on the podium. Probably easier to swallow when he's already won 7 titles.

Toto Wolff, on the other hand, is going to go John Wick and hunt down Michael Masi and anyone else with the FIA.

NorthBank repped this.
  4. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Same around here, I don't get it either. I guess so you can't throw a full bottle at someone? But with the cap removed, it's not like all the liquid will spill out.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Conor Gallagher is going to be a thorn in my side for the next decade. What a talent, what a goal.

DaPrince84 and maskito repped this.
  6. maskito

maskito Member+

Arsenal
    Jan 14, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just finished watching that match as well. As if Chelsea needs another world class, and home-grown, midfielder….
    His loan at CP under the tutelage of PV4 will do him, and that Russian-run club, benefits for years to come.

Serengeti_Boy and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28407 NorthBank, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Yeah, the first time I watched it I had the audio off and was liberally fast-forwarding so I didn't understand a few things which I think I do now, including:

When they issued the safety, LH might've been right at the pits, whereas MV was not there yet. So for RedBull & MV, it was an easier decision to pit immediately (plus nothing to lose as you say). Mercedes & LH had to very quickly analyze the best move, and they opted to keep him on the track, and thus in the lead.

At that point Mercedes just had to hope for another miracle/assist, the first one having been the crash which led to all these shenanigans. Et voila! That second miracle then happened when after the officials reverse their original decision and cleared out the the lapped cars, allowing Max to come right up behind Lewis.

And with very old tires and DRS boost disabled for the final lap, Lewis didn't have enough left to hold off his rival's new tires & aggressive driving skills. Plus the RedBull car seemed a tad faster in the straights in that final lap?

AMAZING race, and one which taught me a fair amount about F1 in a very short time.

I'm curious what others who know more about F1 (where's @goonermaui when you need him!) have to say about this race, and particularly those decisions made by Mercedes and the Officials, right at the end.

8. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Of the course of the year, Red Bull was usually better in the corners and Mercedes usually had better straight line speed. But in qualifying yesterday, RB ran a smaller wing to get less downforce which gave them a slight advantage on the straights. (And Checo gave Max a tow which is why Max won pole) There was no DRS, but there was definitely a slip stream on the final lap, Max benefited at the start of the lap, then after passing he was weaving all over the track to try not to give Lewis a tow.

The FIA had two options that were clearly allowed by the rules that would lead to a boring end of the race, and a third option that may be within the rules, but lead to a thrilling final lap regardless of who came out on top.

[​IMG]

9. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The only way to solve this is a one off race in California between Lewis and Max. Hope no one gets lost in the Arizona desert.

upload_2021-12-12_15-11-55.gif

10. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Called what? You said United would beat us to top 4, but theres a few flaws in your "call".

1. Season isn't over.
    2. Most importantly
    upload_2021-12-13_11-56-14.png

United at 5th :ROFLMAO:

While your call might come true, they aren't even 4th.

daedalus repped this.
  11. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't understand. so, if you have a talent that is not yet ready to perform at the level you compete at, you . . . send them on loan? where they actually play? that way they get better and/or improve their values?!?

that makes no sense!

NorthBank and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's almost as if twitter is watching motorsport for the first time :ROFLMAO:

It's always been arbitrary, contrived, and often decided by pure luck - and F1 is the silliest format (not including Nascar which isn't worth discussion).

If you want a format where drivers truly take each are on, then 80s era touring car was that time. I have fond memories of the 1985 "great race' when the v12 jags of team Walkinshaw took on the Aussie v8s in their backyard.

Cornering the big v12 on two wheels (no active suspension or traction control in those days!) while a dodgy pump sprays oil surge all over your windscreen as you hit 270 kph on conrod? That's driving.

The pit crew removing the oil pump from the car on the fly and sending you back out? That's a racing team.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    If I had money to burn I would definitely buy myself the classic v12 jag

1. H gearbox (not even sequential on that car!). So much fun.

2. The snarl and overrun of the engine is poetry - so big and heavy it can't maintain 100% traction on that circuit - on the run into the straight you can see the car clearly on two wheels.

I had a big heavy italian sports car in the day, and it required technique to try and keep weight on the inside tires - I guess some of you Americans might have had the big v8 ford mustangs?

I never drove the mustang but did drive the falcon - monster of a car

So yeah - spare me the F1 hysteria

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    F1 reminds me a lot of yacht racing. Absurdly over engineered boats ram into each other and the Court room decides who wins :ROFLMAO:

mebeSajid, Bluto11 and DutchCane repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought it would remind you of New Zealand rugby

The Jitty Slitter, maskito and mebeSajid repped this.
  16. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just adding my two cents and saying F1 rules. Those plebians that complain about F1 can remain rooted to NASCAR and Indy cars.

maskito repped this.
  17. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna know how it feels to have not won a league title in SEVENTY (70) YEARS?! Ask a supporter of Atlas of Guadalajara; they'll let you know...

...after they've dealt with a hangover the size of the state of Jalisco. :laugh:

GunnerJacket repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The best racing I saw recently was stock cars on a rural dirt track. The local farmers had about $10m worth of tractors on standby to pull cars out of the banks and recover the pileups - which was often :ROFLMAO:

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That last F1 lap yesterday was as heart pumping as anything I can recall .. but the best racing I’ve seen over the last few years is either MotoGP or Speedway

20. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    Not at the Premier League level, but the magician is still capable of entertaining.

AEAAFC96 and InTheSun repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard an interview on SSN of Sophie Nicolaou of Highbury Squad pod.

Somehow I’d never seen/heard her before but I found her pretty impressive, and found myself agreeing with a lot of what she said. (about the whole Arteta/ Auba/captaincy thingy)

Any of you listen to her podcast? (not that I really have time for another Arse podcast!)

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just caught target practice at Eastlands.

KdB’s Second goal was still picking up speed when it hit the roof of the net!

I know Leeds have not been great of late, but giving up 7??

Maybe that should make us feel just a little bit better about our situation? :)

AEAAFC96 repped this.
  23. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Post reported for physics violations

AEAAFC96, maskito, casoccerdad47 and 3 others repped this.
  24. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny, but did you see it? I think it was.

NorthBank repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium