VfB Stuttgart in the B1: 2020/21 Season First Half - Hinrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Sep 9, 2020.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally got around to watching the Dortmund match. Boy was I shocked! I was in no rush, because I thought we couldn't play with them for 90 minutes. They had more talent, were stronger on the ball, and kept possession, but they did not link up well. Too many bad passes got picked off leading to counter attacks. They stuck with three at the back, to their detriment. It was beautiful. We really did keep up the effort to the final whistle. My favorite goal was Coulibaly's. I did not expect him to beat the defender 1 on 1, but he got a sliver of daylight and curled it in off the post. Who could ask for 5? And it could have been more.
    Looking up it's maybe too hard to get any higher in the table, but if the team improves their consistency this year, I look forward to an entertaining 2021 with a full Mercedes-Benz Arena!

Winoman and Teak repped this.
  2. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we got Dortmund coach fired. That's how badly we beat them. :ROFLMAO:

Winoman and Teak repped this.
  3. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is what I am thinking also. I doubt VfB will rise higher than this current spot in the table (7th) and maybe even drop a few spots before the season ends. The main thing is to be competitive and hopefully mid-table at the end so they don't get relegated again.

If this young squad can be held together, they will be much better next season. Right now, the many draws are mostly the result of a mistake or two in defense each match, not any overall bad performance. If they can get rid of the mistakes, and tighten up the defense, they will start winning more matches.

Of course, anyone having a break out season will likely be a Bayern Munich target down the road. :(

Winoman repped this.
  4. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Wolfsburg - VfB Stuttgart

Announced lineup:
    Gonzalez, Coulibaly
    Didavi, Mangala
    Sosa, Endo, Wamangituka
    Kempf, Anton, Stenzel
    Kobel

Several Wolfsburg players out with Covid.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    0-0 at the half. Wolfsburg playing very physical and ref letting them get away with it. Gonzalez hip checked down in the box but ref waved it off. Wolfsburg goal called off due to attacker shoving a defender to the ground.

Winoman repped this.
  6. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB down 1-0 in the 49th minute on a free kick by Josip Brekalo. Now in the 63rd minute. Come on Jungs, you can do this!

7. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    And how did Gonzalez miss that open net?

Klimowicz, Massimo, and Kalajdzic all on as substitutes.

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  8. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ouch, tough loss, 1-0. Ref should have given a PK in the first half on that hockey check in the box on Gonzalez. He gave a free kick and yellow card to Mangala to a similar challenge in midfield in the second half. Wolfsburg get the 3 points on a ping pong goal off a free.

Massimo got some significant minutes in the second half and looked very good on the right side.

9. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Week 13: 4-6-3 18 points

VfB suffer 1-0 defeat away to a very physical, hockey-checking Wolfsburg.

Goals - Assists
    Wamangituka 7 - 3
    Kalajdzic 5 - 3
    Gonzalez 4 - 1
    Didavi 1 - 3
    Castro 2 - 1
    Mangala 1 - 2
    Kempf 2 - 0
    Coulibaly 2 - 0
    Klimowicz 1 - 1
    Klement 0 - 2
    Forster 1 - 0
    Endo 0 - 1
    Sosa 0 - 1

Goals scored: 26
    Goals conceded: 20
    Clean sheets: 1

Winoman repped this.
  10. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Second round DFB Pokal match tomorrow, 13:45 in the Grain Belt. VfB Stuttgart host SC Freiburg in a replay of the first league match this season.

Expected lineup:
    Kalajdzic
    Coulibaly, Castro, Klimowicz
    Sosa, Mangala, Endo, Wamangituka
    Kempf, Anton, Stenzel
    Kobel

Since it is a cup match, I expect Gonzalez to get a rest. Kalajdzic needs some more playing time to stay sharp. I like VfB's chances in this match; I think that they are an improved side since that opening day loss to Freiburg.

Winoman repped this.
  11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actual lineup:

Kalajdzic - Klimowicz
    Gonzalez - Mangala - Coulibaly - Castro
    - Endo -
    Kempf - Anton - Stenzel
    - Kobel -

VfB take the lead in the 15th minute on great team play. I've been really impressed by Coulibaly, Castro, and Kalajdzic so far.

I'm not impressed by the Ref. There were a lot of ticky-tack fouls by Freiburg, early on, that were not called. Had he called a couple of them, the yellow card fest right before half-time might not have happened.

Also Stuttgart had a good shout for a penalty, but didn't get the call. (Klimowicz was pushed down in the box near the touchline.)

el americano and Teak repped this.
  12. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Churlinov coming on at the half for Coulibaly. I hope it's not due to injury.

13. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freiburg picked up the pressure, and their attacking play in the second half, but Stuttgart held on for the 1-0 win, and advance to the round of 16. :thumbsup:

el americano and Teak repped this.
  14. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for the play-by-play Winoman. We had to race across the Grain Belt this morning to beat a blizzard to my brother's house, so I missed the live match. I will watch this tomorrow on replay knowing it was a win. Good to see.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The Christmas winter break is over and VfB host Red Bull Leipzig in Stuttgart tomorrow, 13:30 Grain Belt time in the USA.

Expected lineup:
    Stuttgart: Kobel - Stenzel, Anton, Kempf - Silas, Endo, Mangala, Sosa - Castro (c), Coulibaly - Gonzalez

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the midst of of our (so far) good season, there is a shit-show going on in the front office which is threatening to tear-down everything good. Typical VfB. :rolleyes:

17. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What is the news? All I see on the news is that VfB are competing with Liverpool to sign Folarin Balogun, a US-born Nigerian on the books with Arsenal youth.

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=38441

18. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It starts with the spin-off from membership owned to corporation from 2016 - 2017:

https://translate.google.com/transl...-mit-mitgliederdaten-an-dritte-785694/artikel

A declaration from Chairman Claus Vogt, investigating the data "transfer":
    https://translate.google.com/transl...eues/verein/2020/claus-vogt-bezieht-stellung/

Hitzlsperger throws his hat in the ring against Vogt:
    https://translate.google.com/transl...t-hitzlsperger-gegen-vogt-praesident-100.html

The question from all VfB fans is why is this going on?

There are accusations from Hitzlsperger that Vogt is running the Club into bankruptcy with the data scandal investigation, that he is not transparent enough and is tearing the Club apart, that Vogt is putting his personality in front of the club therefore hindering it, and that he is running an unchecked one man show.

Vogt published a letter of explanation, also with counter-charges: The investigation is mostly paid for by an insurance company, the tear in the club is real but because of him trying to be transparent which is not welcome in the corporate leadership. Even worse, he says the investigation is actively suppressed. With the wish to limit the mandate or to completely stop it, it is his job to be in a controlling function over the corporation.

Now others are jumping into the breach: Per Spox.com "VfB Stuttgart, nothing more than a coup attempt."
    https://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussb...ger-will-den-klub-mit-dem-hammer-fuehren.html

And so it goes. Why the ******** can't we have anything nice?

19. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Wow. A lot of info there. I will have to read it later. Match just started.

Actual lineup:
    Kalajdzic
    Gonzalez, Castro, Wamangituka
    Endo, Mangala
    Sosa, Kempf, Anton, Stenzel
    Kobel

20. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    22' Forsberg dives in the box to get a PK, which is saved brilliantly by Kobel, still 0-0.

Winoman repped this.
  21. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #146 Teak, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    0-0 at the half. Stenzel has been poor at right back; bad passes, poor decision making, would rather see Mavropanos in that spot.

Commentators were talking about the argy bargy in the VfB front office. Apparently they are having an election in March for the chairman position. Hitzlsperger is going for it against the incumbent Vogt.

Too bad. A club with such a storied history should have front office stability.

22. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    58' Coulibaly on for Kalajdzic.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    67' Red Bull get the break through from Olmo, 0-1. They have had the better chances. VfB struggling with linkup play.

24. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    83' Klimowicz on for Kempf.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    And it ends, 0-1. Another home loss for VfB. Midfield play was very poor, and the linkup with the attack was mostly non-existent. Red Bull are very strong at the back defensively.

Winoman repped this.