VfB Stuttgart in the B1: 2020/21 Season First Half - Hinrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Winoman, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Teak

Teak Member+

Feyenoord, VfB Stuttgart, Valencia
    Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Stuttgart didn't look too good defensively in the first half of their 2-3 loss to Freiburg, but the fight back towards the end of the second half was encouraging.

Winoman repped this.
  3. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice comeback by Stuttgart for their 1st win in the B1.
    Goals by Silas Wamangituka (45), Daniel Didavi (61), Mateo Klimowicz (80), & Sasa Kalajdzic (86). VfB were ahead 1-2 when Mainz 05 defender, Moussa Niakhate, received his Red Card in the 77th minute.

The only troubling thing is that VfB defender, Pascal Stenzel, received a Red Card in stoppage time (90+1). I hope Marcin Kaminski does not play in the next match. I have little/no faith in him. I'd rather bring up the best youth defender than to play Kaminski.

el americano repped this.
  4. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, that was a nice win, first one in Mainz since 2005. Endo was listed as the middle CB but looked more like a defensive midfielder/ball distributor. Very impressed with his play. And the front line looked very good also.

So who replaces Stenzel at right back next week against Bayer Leverkusen? I don't know the squad well enough to make a guess.

Winoman repped this.
  5. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not Kaminski. :eek:

6. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stenzel looked like he was struggling to keep up. He was late on several challenges. The big encouragement for me was that they looked better than their opponents.They were especially good at the opening despite giving up the goal, and they had pulled back in front before the red card. So, we can hope for 17th place, at least. I wasn't sure how out of their depth they were, coming back to the Bundesliga without significantly improving the squad from 2.BL. If we're better than Köln and Werder, then 2020 survival is possible. Maybe we can spend money in 2021, when the fans return.

Teak and Winoman repped this.
  7. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, I felt good about the 1-4 away win against Mainz, but then Union Berlin beat Mainz 4-0 today so maybe the Mainz win wasn't that significant. We'll get a better idea tomorrow against Bayer Leverkusen, who drew their first two matches, and have a stingy defense. Looks like up to 12,000 fans will be allowed in, up from the 7,000 two weeks ago.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good result against Leverkusen, and I'll feel more confident about this season. Leverkusen will be a much sterner test than Mainz.

9. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    VfB 0 - 1 Bayer Leverkusen at the half. Mavropanos started at right back and he has looked good both in defense and going forward. His header, off a corner, hit the cross bar and was VfB's best chance in the first half. Passing in the offensive zone has been poor, and Bayer break quickly which catches the VfB midfield out of position. They still seem to be getting used to the 1.B pace.

Hopefully, they can get a tying goal in the second half. It would be bad to lose the first two home matches.

Winoman repped this.
  10. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sasa! 1-1

Come on now VfB, and get the full 3 points!

Teak repped this.
  11. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, they didn't, but a draw in this match was likely a fair result. Bayer Leverkusen was the better squad for the first half, but VfB came to life in the second half when they brought on substitutes: Coulibaly, Klement, Klimowicz, Karazor, and Massimo. Although Kalajdzic was poor most of the match -unable to hold the ball up, poor passes, easy giveaways- that headed goal justifies his inclusion, I suppose.

Overall, VfB need to improve their ball control and midfield passing. But this comeback, once again, was encouraging. If they stop giving up early goals, they might win another one. Also, they were unable to kick the ball out to a wide open Wamangituka on the right side on at least three occasions which would have sent him on goal alone.

How did you like Mavropanos at right back? He was man-of-the-match for me with his effort. Also, Kobel had some outstanding saves to keep it 1-1.

Week 3: 1-1-1 4 points

Goals - Assists
    Kalajdzic 3 - 1
    Wamangituka 2 - 1
    Didavi 1 - 1
    Klimowicz 1 - 0
    Klement 0 - 1
    Castro 0 - 1

Goals scored: 7
    Goals conceded: 5

el americano and Winoman repped this.
  12. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the defense definitely needs to tighten up, as well as the midfield to keep possession. Mavropanos was excellent as far as I was concerned. Sasa didn't do anything the whole match except to score the goal, but it's still a tossup for me for MOM between him and Mavropanos. :thumbsup:

13. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hated that the first goal came off that corner. Castro kicked our corner over everybody at the other end, which led to their counter straight up the field and converted their corner instead. Overall, I though we were lucky to get the point. We didn't have too many chances, and we turned over the ball several times in our own half leading almost leading to 2 on 2 counters that they couldn't convert. Good recovery on our part, I guess.

I was impressed that individually the players matched up well with their counterparts. Defenders weren't beaten one-on-one. Midfielders mostly kept possession when pressed. The passing could be better and smarter, and we should be getting more shots off. All-in-all they look up to the campaign if they continue to work hard.

14. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Guessing at the starting lineup for Week 4 against Hertha in Berlin:

Kalajdzic
    Castro, Mangala, Didavi, Wamangituka
    Endo
    Sosa, Kempf, Anton, Mavropanos
    Kobel

Mavropanos had such a good match last time out that I would like to think the trainer starts him instead of Stenzel.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks good, @Teak. It looks like Erik Thommy will be back soon, but Gonzalez, Egloff, and Mola are not ready yet.

16. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've jinxed it. Mavropanos is going to be operated on for his injury after a friendly with Freiburg, but hey, we won 3:0! It does drain the optimism out of our match with Hertha. Good luck to the boys.

17. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Seriously? Injured in a friendly match ... maybe not so friendly. Oh well, they do have Stenzel then for RB. How long do they expect Mavropanos to be out injured?

Winoman repped this.
  18. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    And now I see in the news that Anton is out injured also. Thus, Stenzel and Kaminski will likely start with Kempf in the back three. Sosa and Wamangituka out wide.

Winoman repped this.
  19. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I cringe every time I see VfB play a friendly match...

el americano repped this.
  20. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    9' Didavi free kick headed in by Kempf, 0-1 to Stuttgart in Berlin.

Starters

Kalajdzic
    Castro, Didavi
    Coulibaly, Endo, Mangala, Wamangituka
    Kempf, Karazor, Stenzel
    Kobel

Winoman repped this.
  21. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hertha's defense was not to be found on that play. Let's hope we keep scoring, and they keep not-defending.

22. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes! Excellent result on the road. I would have been happy for a point, but earning the full 3 points is icing on the cake!

Teak repped this.
  23. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    68' Castro picks up a loose ball and hammers it home from around 15 m out, 0-2. Soccerway gave Klimowicz an assist on that, but it really was a loose ball.

And it ends that way. Two away wins to go with a home loss and draw.

Week 4: 2-1-1 7 points

Goals - Assists
    Kalajdzic 3 - 1
    Wamangituka 2 - 1
    Didavi 1 - 2
    Castro 1 - 1
    Klimowicz 1 - 1
    Kempf 1 - 0
    Klement 0 - 1

Goals scored: 9
    Goals conceded: 5
    Clean sheets: 1

Winoman repped this.
  24. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Week 5: VfB Stuttgart - Cologne (or Koln), Friday 13:20 (USA CDT)

Expected lineup:

Kalajdzic
    Castro, Didavi
    Coulibaly, Mangala, Endo, Wamangituka
    Kempf, Karazor, Stenzel
    Kobel

Unless Mavropanos or Anton return from injury, I expect to see the same lineup that started last weekend. Coulibaly brought a lot of energy down the left flank and VfB spent most of the match attacking down that side. I would like to see them use Wamangituka a bit more this match. Simply kicking it out to the right into space should work since Silas is so fast.

I get off work early Friday so I am watching this LIVE!

Winoman repped this.
  25. Teak

Teak Member+

Nov 22, 2008
    Grain Belt
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Starting lineup as I called it.

1' Kalajdzic sets up Mangala for the early goal, 1-0.