VfB Stuttgart escaping the B2: 2019/2020 Rückrunde Discussion

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by el americano, Mar 9, 2020.

1. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I'd post this with 10 matches to go, including today's import clash with league leaders Bielefeld. The HSV match in April is probably bigger, but we'll get a view to whether we are top two material or not. Currently, we are in third place by goal differential, so any point here will give us the upper hand for automatic promotion. Coming off of a loss, this could be an indicator of the squad's stability ahead of a difficult end of the season. Please get us out of the B2!

Winoman repped this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arminia Bielefeld drew with VfB at Stuttgart. We needed the win to draw closer to AB, but at least we didn't lose.

VfB needs to stay in the top 2 to get automatically promoted. I'm not sure how well they would do in a promotion playoff game.

I think the rest of the season will be "squeaky-bum-time" for VfB, to paraphrase Sir Alex Ferguson.

el americano repped this.
  3. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought we played better. It was one of those times when you wonder if bringing on the defensive sub lost our advantage. It was a shame after leading late, but they did have that that 2 v 1 that they squandered only after multiple bad passes. We could have lost easily. On the other hand, did VAR review their goal at all? or did they just decide that hitting the defender in the face is fair play? I guess I'll just take the point and move on.

Winoman repped this.
  4. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the quote below, if their last practice was the 18th, and their next is Tuesday, the 21st, and they haven't been practicing together - only seperately, in small groups - I don't see how they could possibly start May 10th, with the 1. FC Nürnberg match. However, all the other teams in B2 would be in the same boat if they do. :unsure:

https://www.vfb.de/en/vfb/latest/news/club/2020/interview-mit-pellegrino-matarazzo-/

6. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This doesn't really have anything to do with the Rückrunde, but I thought I would post it anyway. I saw this on Twitter, and had to post a link here:

7. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard it pronounced vee eff bee Stuttgart. :) Nice job, I wonder how much it costs to buy all the right pieces.

Winoman repped this.
  8. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our first three fixtures:
    Sun May 17: Wiesbaden (A)
    Fri May 22: Kiel (A)
    Tue May 26: HSV (H)

You may remember that we lost all three of these in the Hinrunde. Too bad we won't have the home crowd for the HSV return. The matches slow to once a week after that, but the season may be decided by then. I have no idea what to expect. Let it be random then. Good luck, VfB!

Winoman repped this.
  10. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, the games don't matter that much to me. I just want everyone to be Covid-19 free!

11. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I got up in the middle of the night to watch that. Ignoring the manner of that result, it is frustrating to see us bring the ball forward so easily then fail to get even a long range shot. I suppose a better defense could make that goal stand up, but really we should have put two or three past them. And it's hard to pinpoint where we break down. There's all kinds of mediocrity out there.

13. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, for whatever reason, the lack of scoring has been telling, and I don't understand why that issue hasn't really been addressed properly. Well, there are more chances to win, and move up, but right now they're in the promotion playoff spot - provided the season doesn't get shut down again.

14. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...not to mention that the PK at the end was completely uncalled for. I've seen multiple replays, and heard the recorded conversation between the Referee & the VAR, although it is very quiet at times. They both say they can't tell, and still award the PK. :mad:

15. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #15 el americano, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Didn't get up this time, same result. Stuttgart have the chance to throw it all away on Thursday We could go back to second... or drop to fourth.

EDIT: Corrected the day.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm almost to the point where I don't care anymore. It's the same shit over and over.

Let's see if they fire the coach again. Then they can spend more money on shakey transfers in, while letting good young academy talent go and become stars elsewhere. :mad:

17. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I torture myself? They go 0-2 down seconds before the half on a hand ball. :mad:

So here I am watching the second half and they've equalized 2-2 on a cheap penalty by the keeper. There is still hope, and it's the hope that kills you.:unsure:

Winoman repped this.
  19. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 el americano, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Good God! They've done it! They really only had 2 possibilities in the last hour. One long range blast, and a beautiful free kick that broke my heart by hitting the post. In fact, nothing had been very convincing the whole match. Endo's goal was a perfect header from the free kick, but with the help of good fortune that it got to him. His first goal of the season. Plus the penalty, which was dodgy for me, as I mentioned.

So, it comes to the last minute. HSV is stopping our counters with fouls. Finally, a counter in the last minute sees González down the left flank. He doesn't get past his man, but somehow he finds room right before the end line to center it on the ground. Castro gets in front of his man and touches it past the keeper. A thing of beauty. No Gomez, no Didavi, no problem. Maybe the flaming truck stops here??

This Dinkelacker is for you, boys! :thumbsup:

Winoman repped this.
  20. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon my lateness, but I needed to go change my laundry! :eek: :D

Like you said, hopefully this means no more Gomez or Didavi.

Now if we can keep some of our young U-whatever kids, and make them stars, instead of letting other teams make them stars. :thumbsup:

21. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuttgart is maintaining the 2nd place after a win at Dynamo Dresden, 0-2.

Al Ghaddioui scored in the 18th minute (following VAR) and Churlinov sealed the deal in the 88th minute.

It's good to see Churlinov score his second goal in two matches! :eek: I hope he keeps up the good work! :)

22. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they were all over them. I hadn't noticed how easy the schedule was to finish. We have 4 of the bottom 5 in our last 6 matches. The other two are Sandhausen and, unfortunately, Darmstadt on the final day. It was certainly nice to play the last place team after an emotional win. They should be steady now. The goal will be to be one point further ahead on the final day. We can't even afford to draw with this 2 point lead.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ********ing A! :mad::mad::mad:

How about another year in the B2? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

24. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can't get any worse. 2-1-3 since the restart against weak competition with the biggest payroll in 2.BL. I'm surprised we're still in third with 9 losses.

Nothing to do now but see where they crash.

Winoman repped this.
  25. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who can figure this team out? They're back in second place with a drubbing of Sandhousen. HSV doesn't want it either!

Sunday 6/21
    Nürnberg - VfB Stuttgart
    Heidenheim - HSV

Sunday 6/28
    VfB Stuttgart - Darmstadt
    HSV - Sandhousen

One more point would have greatly improved the chance of promotion in four days. If they can win this weekend, it would about wrap up third, but we likely can't afford to lose to Darmstadt if we want to hold onto second. Let's see which team shows up in Nürnberg.

Winoman repped this.