Very Small Rocks Season Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by marakana10, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    This gentlemen is the season thread. We'll finish the 16th round on the draft thread. Free agents and trades are to be posted on the EPL site official board and here as well. As for everything else this is the place to do it. :D

2. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    My official VSR Season draft and team review:

Djangone:

Forwards: Hernan Crespo, Kuqi, Harewood

Evaluation: All depends on the production of Crespo. If he regains his form from Milan last season then he will be a starter. But with Drogba coming back more hungry than ever and Gudjohnssen surely filling in the spot behind the striker it will be a torrid affair. That said if he starts producing he might be the pick of the draft as with all Chelsea players. Kuqi could turn out to be a revelation alongside Craig Bellamy at Ewood Park therefore he could be a great signing. And as for Harewood you can't say much can you? It all depends if Crespo is playing. If not look for this team to make a quick change fast with maybe Yakubu joining up.

Midfielders: Frank Lampard, Luis Garcia, Danny Murphy, Reo-Croker, Piper

Evaluation: As in terms of depth, there isn't, as in terms of power there is. Frank Lampard will carry the team and if he regains the form of last season scoring 19 goals, Chelsea's leading goalscorer then it will be hard to stop him because Lampard's production last season equaled 2 Makalele's thus he is the best Fantasy midfielder. Luis Garcia will be a man to watch, as he will be the right side of Liverpool's mid with Figo departing for Inter. He had some amazing game's for the Anfield side last season especially against Juventus but it remains to be seen if he can do it on a constant basis but definitley a good player in fantasy terms. Danny Murphy made the trip from Merceyside to London just over a year ago and produced some of the finest football we have seen him play in a long time and combined with him settling in at the club and some additions to the squad by Curbishley he is also another man to watch. Along with Smertin, Murphy could form a partnership that could cause problems. As for the other 2, mere backups for me anyways. :D

Defenders: Asier del Horno, Kolo Toure, Ledley King, Andy Todd, Steve Huddlestone

Evaluation: Well a pretty solid defensive line. Del Horno will start for Chelsea on the left without a doubt, Kolo will start in the center for Arsenal, and Ledley will start for Spurs in center as well. All three are marquee players who are solid producers. Asier del Horno, in his first season with the London based outfit will be looking to shine down the left flank and give Mr.Bridge a reason to look for a new club so expect him to go on the offensive more than the usual amount. He is Chelsea's Ashley Cole. :D Todd is a solid defender and he will provide great cover should one of these get injured.

Goalkeepers: Edwin Van der Sar, Christopher Kirkland

Evaluation: As for this deparment, it is all but pretty much settled. Van der Sar is the number one option. A great addition to Old Trafford in a time they really did need a solid number one goalkeeper. He wil be hot on the heels of Petr Cech to win the Fantasy League leading goalkeeper. Kirkland on the other hand should start for West Bromwich Albion and will provide an excellent back up should anything happen to Mr.Old Trafford over there up in the North.

Overall:C+/B-

Conclusion: The goalkeeping department is set as well as the defense. But some questions arise in the midfield department. Lampard, Garcia and Murphy are all solid but can they produce the form they had that of last year? Lampard's shoulders are heavier than ever. And again doubt fills the forward line with Crespo being the only leading striker, and even his spot is in doubt, therefore if Crespo doesen't start we might be looking at not a couple of early weeks for Pork Soda FC.

3. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    My indifference to strikers is showing. You're too kind by a half-grade!

4. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Clanblue Team Review

Strikers: Thierry Henry, Craig Bellamy, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Evaluation: As a Chelsea fan you wouldn't expect to find Thierry Henry on your team sheet, but somehow he found a spot for himself. :D Joking! Well all three are top class. All three will start nonetheless. As for Henry, top goalscorer last 2 years and taking over defenses. Just imagine how good he will be if he doesn't have an injury problem?! :eek: Bellamy will be the leader at Ewood Park and with Brett Emerton, Robbie feeding him the balls it looks like a poised combination. Rovers could turn out to be the suprise team of the season. As for JFH, well ex-Chelsea, so we know what that means. He is good against the smaller teams but can sometimes frustrate in front of the goal. A very inconsistent striker even if his pedigree suggest otherwise. For me doesn't score enough of the easy chances... But he gets a lot of points and that's all that matters at the end of the day. Plus with Yakubu he'll be on his heels. Top class front line.

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Scott Parker, Legwinski, Ivan Campo, Alexei Smertin

Evaluation: A very "fantasy" midfield to accomediate the forward line. Xabi Alonso is coming off an injury plagued season and if the boy from Sociedad is to impress his fitness remains essential. If he does though, he will be a very,very big threat. Expect him to be the assist leader. Scott Parker has moved away from the Bridge to St.James' and looks poised for a starting role that eluded him in London under Mourinho and Ranieri. Along with Jermaine Jenas, and Belezeglou Emre he will form a good partnership and this being a WC year competition will be fierce with Parker wanting to prove his worth in front of the Magpies. The last three are all experienced fantasy earners. Campo can sometimes create suprises and score an odd goal or two, Legwinski will definitley start for Fulham along Malbranque and Smertin will start along Murphy. All three will be a threat all season and along with Alonso and Parker, they're the perfect supporting crew.

Defense: Paulo Ferriera, Jaime Carragher, Rio Ferdinand, Thome, McMillan

Evaluation: The starting three are world class. Ferreira, Carragher, and Ferdinand will start the backline for Clanblue. A very very good line who can score goals from corners as well. Ferreira is the starter on the right of Chelsea's defense and will be a handful for forwards, Carragher had an outstanding season last year and it will be interesting to see if he can keep his cool for in time for the England squad, and Rio Ferdinand is simply the best English center back alongside Terry therefore the line is stacke with quality. The two backups are from Wigan Athletic, and if they're starters then look to them as good insurance.

Goalkeepers: Jose Manuel Reina, Shaka Hislop

Evaluation: Reina will be the number one for the Reds without a doubt, and was a steal at 5.5. Hislop is back with the club he played most of his career with and he will be challenging Carroll for the number one shirt. Nothing more can be said then if Liverpool produces all season, Reina will produce all season, and with him leading La Liga in penalties blocked last season look for this keeper to be up with Cech and Van der Sar in terms of points.

Overall: B+

Conclusion: Overall this team has to be one of the favorites. It looks like a 3-4-3 formation with Xabi, Parker, Smertin, and Legwinski in the middle. OVerall the team is set in defense with Ferreira, Carragher, and Ferdinand. Offensively this team provides a good punch with Henry, Bellamy, and JFH. At the goal is Reina, a powerful Spanish goalkeeper who has started for Liverpool during Champions League qualifying and has looked centimeter by centimeter perfect. The enigmas in this puzzle are Xabi Alonso and Scott Parker. Both have the talent to be up there. And if fitness is not an issue this year we will see how good these two players are. That is the aspect that will either clinch or break the season. For me one of the favorites.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Er...you hit the wrong key mate.

It came out as a B+...i know you really mean A+ :D

6. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    I'll change that B+ to an A+ when you're crowned league champions mate. :D

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Transfer Notice:

Out
    MacKay D Wham 3.5

In
    Carvalho D CFC 7.0 (.05 in bank)

8. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    So that wasn't "Owen money" money afterall.

Carvalho money it was.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well it can quickly be transferred to the Owen/Essien account :D

With Borgetti resting up, Gallas carrying a knock and Ellington playing Chelsea(and he is better than Camara FC, hope Wigan's coach knows as well :rolleyes: ) needed to help my projected opening season 4-5-1 lineup.

10. Ingromius

Ingromius Member

Feb 3, 2000
    NW London
    TRAINING GROUND SHAKEUP AT LSG
    Two players have already left London St. Germain after only one training session. "We're concerned that William Gallas will not play enough to justify his high salary," explained coach Armitage Shanks. The second departure is Colombian midfielder Viafara. "We were watching him in shooting practice, and he kept missing the ball and falling down," Shanks lamented. "We offered him a starting position as kit cleaner, but he wasn't interested." Drafted in to replace the two players are Everton defender Per Kroldrup and Birmingham midfielder Jermaine Pennant. "Kroldrup's a proven defender from Serie A who's a lock to start for a solid defensive team," explained Shanks. "Pennant is a key player for his team, an attacking player who was in excellent form at the end of last season." The new-look LSG roster:

GK Friedel BR 5.0
    GK Filan WI 3.5

D Cole AR 7.0
    D Senderos AR 6.0
    D Kroldrup EV 5.5
    D Yobo EV 4.5
    D Vignal PO 4.0

M Robben CH 10.0
    M Pires AR 10.0
    M Pennant BI 7.0
    M Carrick TO 6.5
    M Le Tallec SU 5.5

F Defoe TH 9.5
    F Shearer NU 9.0
    F Roberts WI 7.0

11. djangone

djangone Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Los Feliz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Honestly this Kroldrup character is continuing a frightening trend at Everton. Two pretty boys have signed for what before had been the league's ugliest, workman-like team. Arteta and Kroldrup really change the character of that team. Next thing you know Lee Carsley is going to be caught using a loofah and male facial cream in the Everton locker room in order to come off better with the ladies. :p

12. vegas2u

vegas2u Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Trying to get my files set up to make these postings as easy as possible.

Is this the format?

vegas2u / VegasVirgins

Diouf Striker BW 7.5
    Zamora Striker WH 5.5
    Bergkamp Striker AR 8.5
    Gerrard Midfield LI 9.0
    Scholes Midfield MU 9.5
    Routledge Midfield TH 7.0
    Johansson Midfield WI 4.5
    Fabregas Midfield AR 7.0
    Terry Defender CH 8.5
    Heinze Defender MU 7.0
    Hyypia Defender LI 6.5
    Mills Defender MC 4.5
    Nosworthy Defender SU 3.5
    James Goalkeeper MC 5.0
    Carroll Goalkeeper WH 3.5

OUT:
    GamstPederson Midfield BR 7.0

IN:
    Fabregas Midfield AR 7.0

Bank: 3.0

Still needs work. I'll shorten the position piece.

Anyway, the question with the young Spaniard is playing time. I will bite, for now.

13. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ColdDogSoup FC denies spurious tabloid reports of an arranged conference and states catagorically it was a purly accidental bumping into at an exclusive mayfair hotel bistro with Gallas and his agent while CDS FC management were dining upon freedom chips evening last.

In an untirely unrelated matter CDS FC announcees the concessions at the DuffDome will now serve pommes frites and discontinues the sale of Freedom Chips oh and the following transfer:

Out
    Carvahlo D CFC 7

In
    Gallas D CFC 7

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002

Bold move my son - I'll bet Carvalho starts on Sunday though :p

15. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was what I was thinking. BTW, congrats on winning the shield. Shame about losing the league though. ;)

16. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can already see this get a bit confusing with the topics on the EPl site. Can we make it a rule that you must post the move here as well as there? The Epl site timing would still determine whether the move was legal but you have to post on BS as well just to make it easier to track. Sound good?

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just my opinion but I think that it a good move. I think Cesc (baring injury) will appear in about 30 EPL games with most of them being starts.

18. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I agree, they changed the format on there from last season, it's actually worse for what we need to do.

19. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    He he..

I prefer to think of it as, one down, four to go :p

20. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I may just switck back and forth every 4 hours. :D

JM said before the last Milan match that those starters were the projected 1st 11, for the most part and he never uses the press for mind games after all :rolleyes: With Gallas healthier than I thought, a new contract in the works and Gallas the 1st back up pretty much everywhere in the back, but Carv being portuguese and a JM favorite I may just go with Huth.

21. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Of all the Chelsea defenders, and the reason I made a move for him, that will be a solid starter for most of the entire season, is Ferriera and Terry.

Too much of a guessing game with the others.

22. marakana10

marakana10 New Member

May 9, 2005
    Vegas2u team and draft review, just after watching the Community Shield. Very interesting I might add.

Strikers: El Hadji Diouf, Dennis Bergkamp, Zamora

Evaluation: Not much can be said. Dennis will not start every game therefore he will be a liabiltiy, expect a transfer as soon the season begins. Zamora on the other hand scored the goal for WHFC in the playoff final and he is a major talent so he is solid. As for Diouf, well he is Diouf. If Allerdyce can calm him down then he is a real threat. He is one of those strikers I hated ever since I saw him for Senegal, not how he acts, well that too :D , but primarily of his selfish style of play. He'll score goals for the Wanderers at the Reebok and with Borgetti joining him up top it'll be a partnership for the long balls of Bolton.

Midfielders: Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Wayne Routledge, Francesc Fabregas, Johanssen

Evaluation: A very nice midfield. Gerrard didn't score much last season but is looking to turn it around. Around 7 goals in the Champions League qualifiers and he looks like he will be a real threat this season. He was the creator last season, expect him to add that goal leadership like Lampard this year. As for Scholes he is the Ginger prince and always leads by example with his shots that strike ferocity into the keeper. Had an off season last year by his accounts but was still in the top 5 midfielders. If Man U don't get Owen, expect him to play the AMC role with shots coming from left and right as Manchester look to have put their woes of the last 2 years behind them. Routledge was a revelation last season for the Eagles of Palace and will look to do the same this year under Martin Jol. He will start down the right hand side and I believe will have the same effect feeding the balls to Defoe instead of Johnson. Fabregas is an excellent addition in terms of talent. And after watching the community shield he will be given his fair share of playing time this season. And as for Johanssen he will start for Wigan so he is a solid backup.

Defense: John Terry, Gabriel Heinze, Sami Hyypia, Danny Mills, Nosworthy

Evaluation: Obviously there will be three in the back unless he plans on Mills starting. :D Terry is the best defender in England and he also scores goals from corners. And if you want proof... He was 46 points ahead of second placed defender Gallas last season. Expect much of the same this season. Heinze was one of the few bright spots last season at Old Trafford and he will occupy the left side. Like Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool Manchester have an offensive left back and he had a pretty good season last year being top 5 for much of the time. I also believe he might score some goals this year as he looks to have a left back spot for the Argentinian national team in his eyes. Hyypia will need to regain his form from 2 season ago and will need more nights like the one he had against Chelsea in the Champions League to come back up to the level of Terry and Ferdinand. As for Mills, he is a solid right back who can lose his temper sometimes but he starts and 86 points from last season for a backup is fairly good. Nosworthy on the other hand will start for Sunderland in the Northwest therefore it is a good idea to use him in the matches against Newcastle and Middlesbrough. :D JK.

Goalkeepers: David James, Roy Carroll

Evaluation: Both keepers should start for their respective teams and given that this is a World Cup year expect James to be fighting for the no 1 England spot with Robinson of Tottenham. If he regains his form from last season he will be in the top 5 without a doubt. One of the best reflex keepers I've seen and who can forget that safe against Chelsea at the Stamford Bridge? Carroll will start for the Upton Park outfit and will look to keep West Ham in the top flight. He will be one of the central pieces if the Hammers are going to remain here and stay. A solid backup. Both are starters.

Overall: C+/B-

Conclusion: At first glance the team looks ok. But after a while you raise some eyebrows. David James will be good so the GK situation is done. The defense is good with Hyypia looking to make a strong comeback. But then you have the midfield and the forwards. Scholes and Gerrard will either make or break this team. If they can score goals then expect this team as a top 4 team. If not then looks of relegation come upon faces. Routledge and Fabregas are young and are poised to shine thus I believe they will be fine. As for the forward line it isn't top 5 in the league so I don't know what to expect. Bergkamp looks like he will only play certain matchdays and won't play the full 90 minutes so expect an early transfer for a forward. If it was up to me I would've rather gotten Angel or Yakubu.

23. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree, got beat to both though, as well as Del Horno, who also sadly for Bridge a player I really really like I think will get most of the league action, not convinced yet JM rates/gets along with Bridge as well as I would prefer.

I think if Ferriera stays healthy he will have a monster year.

24. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ColdDogSoup FC Updated Roster:

lobomojo / ColdDogSoup FC

van Nistelrooy Striker MU 11.5
    Borgetti Striker BW 7
    Ellington Striker WI 7
    Duff Midfield CH 9.5
    Riise Midfield LI 8
    Downing Midfield MI 8.5
    Benayoun Midfield WH 6
    Davids Midfield TH 7
    Mellberg Defender AV 6
    Clement Defender WB 5
    Hreidarsson Defender CA 5.5
    Breen Defender SU 4
    Gallas Defender CFC 7
    Anderson Goalkeeper CA 4
    Davis Goalkeeper SU 3.5

Bank: 0.5

25. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well than you saw Drogba was just pure rubbish. Strictly out of loyalty to my boys from the Bridge I wll take him off your hands.