Venables says......

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=480357&cc=5739

if we dont qualify ,McSven should keep his job.

So he wants reward for failure???
    he wants another crack of the whip to mess up the next campaign too eh

If we miss out ,not only should mcSven be sacked and his entire coaching staff....
    Barwick should also step down out of shame of appointing a complete dickhead for the job and missing out on some great names.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    not only mclaren but most of the squad needs to be dropped in favor of players in good form rather than past glory

not mclarens fault gerrard spoons a 6 yard effort wide 1-0 up vs russia

3. stiffmeister

stiffmeister New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I would put a clause in contract of any future manager. If you don't qualify for the next major tournamet you get sacked without any compensation. That should provide some extra motivation.

4. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Or simply only give out 2 year contracts.

5. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You have to be able to qualify for the tournaments to win the bloody things.

6. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    venables cant spin this massive failure into "no one else could do better" logic.
    all the other managers actually f;cking qualified for tournaments.
    even graham taylor got us to euro 1992

7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He did his best to try and screw that one up though. We drew half of our games and only qualified with a last day draw in Poland where we were 13 minutes away from finishing 3rd in the group (out of four).

8. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    he screwed up the actual tournament though.
    mcSven probably wont even get a chance to screw that up.

9. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesn't look good. Gonna require a miracle in Israel, and then, to take care of business at Wembley..

10. CherryBomb

CherryBomb Red Card

Oct 27, 2006
    La La Land
  11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
  12. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He should never have been appointed.

He should have been sacked after the Croatia defeat/Macedonia draw.

He should have been sacked after the Israel draw.

He should have been sacked after the loss to Russia

13. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The people that appointed him should be sacked as well.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    For an international manager its the cardinal sin to not qualify for a tournie.
    No way can mcClown survive missing 2008 and stay in work.
    He has FAILED.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i dislike mclaren and find him useless but who else would we have got?

i reckon most other englishmen wouldve kept the usual underperforming 'stars' and we probably would have done as bad

would scolari have truely shaken the squad? maybe barwick is the real reason we diddnt qualify? i know one of our best coaches left as the fa diddnt want to hire him and hes coaching canada i beleive now, so its fundamentally the fa who keep messing it up, i wonder if they add pressure to play lamps and gerard and the stars?

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

You think we are limited to having mcClaren?
    there is whole world of coaches to pick from.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Surprisingly McSven doesn't think he should be sacked.

Competition for places?

I would like the team to be successful now and not in the future.

The World Cup qualifying draw is on Nov 25th.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's the thing, isn't it? Whether foreign or domestic, the playing staff are unlikely to change radically - no matter who you bring in, 90% of the existing squad remains as it is. There'll be the odd Chris Powell-style shake-up, but they'll probably be as temporary as that too.

So the change-around from qualifying numpties back to ... well - back to perennial quarter finalists would be a step in the right direction at this point - needs to be down to the manager's ability to motivate, to match the best of their international counterparts tactically, to handle the arcane politics of the job and, last but in no way imaginable least, to live with the always absurd expectations that English football fans, led by our insane media, have for their national team.

The new man needs to be able to do all of those things significantly better than Stevie Third Choice. I realise that narrows the field only very marginally (in fact, I think only Gary Megson, Peter Reid and Bryan Robson have faded out of the picture), but still - who ticks all the boxes? Mourinho, I reckon, although he'd soon tire of the "but he plays such pragmatic football, in my head England are just like Brazil in 1970, so what's he doing wrong" shtick that the media and fans will subject him to from day one. Scolari, we already know, would buckle in months for much the same reason. Klinsmann? I doubt even the board that went for Steve McClaren would go for a German - and that, in any case, assumes the German would want the job. Let's face it, if you thought Berti Vogts had a rough time of it up there with the Sweaties ...

Hiddink, Capello, van Basten - all can expect considerably better, less stressful and equally well-paid options elsewhere. And domestically we'd be restricted to the likes of Harry Redknapp (Gawd bless'im, but he's hardly the progressive choice), Curbishley or Stuart Pearce (arf ... remember when that was seriously mooted after his seven - and, as it turned out, only - good games with City at the start of his managerial career?).

Obviously, McClaren can't stay, he's a disaster. But I wouldn't want to be the guy making the choice for his replacement.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Easiest thing to do is to have a reality show to pick the new manager.

20. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's Chico time?

21. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Forget Venables.. He is only backing McSven because when McSven gets axed, he will be axed also, and most likely not be back coaching for England at the Senior level. Plus. Venables is basically telling McSven what to do anyways, so he would lose that as well. Time to get a real manager, and not a puppet for the FA..

22. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    just pathetic:(

England needs a real manager, Lippi wants to work in England, fluency in English sure as hell has not done any good in recent memory so...

23. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is it sad that when I hear Yossi is hurt and say to my username...the answer is no?

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Patrick Barclay makes his pitch for sticking with McClaren ... and for not letting the yahoos run the show.

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Matt, would you have McClaren as manager of Liverpool?

Your answer on a postcard to:

Should Steve McClaren be England Manager?
    The FA
    Cockneyland.