Veepstakes 2020

Discussion in 'Elections' started by superdave, May 18, 2020.

1. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    To simplify this for you all it was not her job as AK governor that disqualified her but what came out of her mouth.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that is not what khan has been arguing with regards to Rice. He has been arguing that Rice's lack of experience at campaigning or holding an elected position in government should be disqualifying. He then compared that to Palin's situation, which is in no way, shape or form remotely the same issue.

charlie15 repped this.
  3. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The biggest danger for someone unelected like Rice is that they would be somewhat like Obama, great on administration and policy, not so good with dealing with Congress and the sausage-making aspects of lawmaking.
    Of course few to no presidents are good at all of these things.

4. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    No, candidates can be unqualified for differing reasons.

Palin's was unqualified because of her intellect, and it had appeared as though the McCain team hadnt even interviewed her, or even vetted her to a sufficient degree.

I happen to believe that Abrams and Bottoms are not qualified because of their comparatively shallow CVs, relative to other candidates.

And yes, I do not believe Rice is qualified, due to her inexperience on the campaign trail, when compared to other candidates.

So, the commonality is that all three of the current candidates are not as good/not as qualified as other candidates.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I imagine that Susan Rice would be really good at the dealing with Congress aspects of the job. Her career in diplomacy has made her perfectly prepared for it. She's dealt with far worse people than Mitch McConnell or Louie Gohmert or [insert gross Republican of the day].

My bigger concern with her is that her career in diplomacy has also made her kind of blunt and a real no-bullshit kind of person. Female politicians are obviously held to weird standards about stuff like that, so I worry a bit about how that would be perceived, and how that personality would work over a 3-month introduction to the country.

Maybe it's exactly what people want and she becomes a roaring success. Who can say? But I think the goal of the VP choice at this point should be to reduce the amount of variability in the election, and choosing someone whose first personal political campaign is for the vice presidency introduces a ton of variables.

6. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What I was thinking about when I wrote dealing with Congress is the type of horse-trading backslapping sort of dealmaking that goes on to get your priorities passed. Think of Lyndon Johnson. That sort of personality is rather rare among modern US presidents. You'd have to go at least as far back as Clinton to cite one.

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say to-may-to. I say to-mah-to. There is a difference between not having training for, but some experience helpful TO, a job (Rice had quite the serious WH job and therefore plenty of international experience; plus no one CAN lay claim to experience as president or VP until you are president or VP as no other similar job exists) or conversely, being a manifest idiot who isnt simply unqualified ... but rather manifestly UNFIT. Palin is the latter. Trump is the latter. Kanye West is the latter. I think you are comparing apples and ghost peppers when comparing Palin to those other names. Comparing complete unfitness with a desire to see someone with more experience is, to me, an unhelpful comparison. But I will leave it alone. We are not going to agree.

charlie15 and chad repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotta do the same thing at the UN. Between her and Biden, you'd be hard-pressed to find a potential 2020 duo better at it.

charlie15 repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You mean some people (aka the "media" and right wing politicos) may describe her as "unlikable"? :eek:
    Oh, the horror! :mad::confused::whistling:

[I do agree that female politicians are held to weird standards like that]

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I as born in '51, so I have some memories of Truman's own term, and clear ones of LBJ and Ford succeeding, and of Reagan breaking the 20 curse by being shot but not dying...

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Obama was fine at it; but you can't deal with those who will not, whose only offers are bait-and-switch.

It is silly to blame Obama for not acquiring any cross aisle votes when the opposition wanted most of all for him to not get any, preferred that to having any influence on policy. The post poppa Bush "permanent majority" Republicans don't actually want anything except control, so there's no deals to be made...

superdave repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    And she was born in Canada, so she is not eligible.

xtomx and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Perhaps not but it's easy to name one who is terrible at all those things.

xtomx and taosjohn repped this.
  14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So a lot depends on who Biden fancies as chief of staff as well

15. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    She had screwed up stuff in Alaska that would have warned the vetters that she was not up to it as well

But they didn't find out until after they announced

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Just think, if it was possible to see Russia from her front window, it would have been even easier for the orange menace to get a loan from a Russian bank.

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Obama wasn't great at glad handing congress people in his own party. By 2010 he should have been campaigning with party members (when helpful) and not think of legislating with Republicans.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Like I didn't know what half of the thread denizens you were on. :p

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ron Klein has his name written on the CoS role. One of the smartest dudes you will find, experienced, qualified, even keeled, has been a Biden guy forever. Perfect fit.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was and still am on the Kamala bandwagon, but would not be upset at all by Susan Rice. He in depth experience on the international level, on Natsec, on the administration and her relationship with Biden are major assets. I like she is a no BS person as well. She will hit the road running if she gets the position.

Some convincing arguments in this article. She is indeed in a class of her own as far as experience and qualifications.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That columnist, Steve Chapman, used to be regarded as center-right. However, as he is sane, he now is firmly left, while not having changed his views (although of course he has updated them on social issues, as have most people).

charlie15 repped this.
  22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn’t that pretty much the definition of changing his views?

charlie15 repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Eh, mos people have moved pretty fair with respect gay marriage, BLM, weed, prison sentences, etc. There weren't many people in 1995 who would have been able to pass 2020's mainstream-viewpoint test on social issues.

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not disagreeing, but if he moved on all those positions, he moved from right of center to left of center on social issues.

25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have a feeling that repairing our relations abroad will be just as important as dealing with domestic issues, especially since the global economy won't be booming in 2021... and even more so if it's 2025.

onefineesq repped this.